First gen 'stang as a daily driver - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Yadkin
  • 1 Post By Travis98146
  • 1 Post By johnwaz3661
  • 1 Post By nfrizell
  • 1 Post By nfrizell
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
bazurto9's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
 
First gen 'stang as a daily driver

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have been creeping around for a while, picking up as much information as I could, usually finding the answers I was looking for. However, the nature of my new situation has me posting here now.

So here's the rub:

I am a senior in a D.C. area college, getting ready to head into law school next year. I've always loved the idea of driving a classic stang through the city streets, passing the monuments and the eclectic bars of Adams Morgan. It just so happens that my law school will be in the city, meaning this dream of mine will actually be something I can make happen.

I have always loved mustangs, with my grandfather and I building models of mustangs and even building a go-kart in the shape of the mustang. I currently own a 2011 5.0 that I have built up to be a pretty stout street warrior. However, as exciting as the 5.0 is, I find myself yearning for the timeless style of the first-gen classics. I am set on purchasing and daily driving the first-gen stang. I will aim to spend roughly 7-11k on a 289 model, preferably with a 4 speed already installed.

Before the actual question, here is some other relevant info:

For repairs and maintenance: I'm fairly competent with mechanical work, however, I know what I do not know but know the people that do know.
Insurance: Already have a policy laid out with my carrier, with the cost being similar to that of insuring my old e30.
Budget: I have been blessed with a great part-time job as well as a sizeable investment from a previous school's entrepreneur program in my business. While I'm very aware that maintaining older vehicles is pricey at times, I should be able to handle the costs associated with my decision.
Other vehicles: I have an '11 5.0 and a '94 80 series Landcruiser for the inclement days.
I also will never sell my '11 as it was my high school car and it has a very high sentimental value to me.

So now that my life story is out of the way, here are the nuts and bolts of my question:

1. Besides a disc brake conversion and electric fan w/aluminum rad, are there any other mods to make the stang a better commuter for near everyday use.
2. If you do/have daily drive the first-gen stang, what is it like? Are the increased costs worth it? Do the smiles per gallon outweigh the miles per gallon?

Sorry for the long first post.

Thanks in Advance.

bazurto9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019
PONY Member
 
JustAnotherRuki's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 499
 
Make sure it has power steering, some good comfortable seats and A/C . I've been driving my coupe for years with no power steering and even though it gets easier once the vehicle is rolling when you have to park it is a pain in the arse. The old bucket seats were great at one point in time but after 50 years the inners of the seats tend to become brittle, vinyl cracks. Seats get very uncomfortable. I would install an A/C unit if it doesn't come with one already. Since you have 2 back up vehicles you are in good shape, keep in mind old girl might have a hiccup one day and relying on a back up vehicle will be necessary. These old V8 engines with a carburetor set up are gas guzzlers even if you go easy with the pedal. I do about 14 MPG within city with my 347, could be worst but i get 27 MPG with my nissan.. as long as you have the capital to keep it going, why not!




J



1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine with a very mild custom ROLLER cam for torque) Weiand Stealth intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers ,Wiseco ProSreet Forged Pistons,Manton custom pushrods, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1( good up to 450 HP)
Rear End 3.80 gears, Monkey Grip Trac Lock posi unit
Tires 15" all around 225's in the back
JustAnotherRuki is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Yadkin Valley
Posts: 6,161
 
Garage
If you don't own a garage, don't do it.
johnwaz3661 and imps like this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Yadkin is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019
PONY Member
 
Travis98146's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 938
 
Garage
For a number of years, before I retired, my '67 Cougar was my daily driver. If you're an "old school" driver, the handling/braking aren't really an issue. When I get my '66 Mustang painted, it will also be available for a daily driver even though I don't have to go to work anymore. Neither car has/or will get modifications.
imps likes this.
Travis98146 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019
Apprentice
 
johnwaz3661's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 108
 
Garage
It sounds great on paper. Just keep in mind someone else may like your classic car more than you do while it's sitting all alone in a parking lot, and the security features on a 50+ year old car aren't that good. And a garage is imperative for overnight/inclement weather storage.
imps likes this.
johnwaz3661 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019
Rookie
 
nfrizell's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 24
 
Why not. Make sure you are starting with a solid car. That alone may bust your budget. My upgrades would be brakes, fuel injection, electronic ignition, new harness, and modern ac.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
nfrizell is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019
PONY Member
 
GT'sGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 933
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrizell View Post
Why not. Make sure you are starting with a solid car. That alone may bust your budget. My upgrades would be brakes, fuel injection, electronic ignition, new harness, and modern ac.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
For a daily driver I'd add a starter interrupt security system as well. Someone can still tow it off though so keep it in sight while parked.
GT'sGT is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019
PONY Member
 
baylensmanfl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Location: largo
Posts: 572
 
I drove a 65 as a salesman in the early 90's daily around the city of philadelphia. As folks mentioned above A/C Power steering are a must!! I did fine with drum brakes, but if you do repeated high speed stops you will get some fade, but under normal stop and go I was fine. I didn't smoke so 1 ran a wire from the cigar lighter to the coil. when it was pushed in it ground out the coil so the engine wouldn't fire. If you are in the city secure parking is a must overnight. A simple anti theft like i used is okay during the day a frequent stops but any long term you will need more. The cars are harder to pedal and resell or even chop up anymore, but joy riders are a whole different kettle of fish.

$7 to $11k is not enough for a reliable self build, rust and paint alone will eat that up. You'll be better off attending a few shows and swap meets and seeing what a done coupe can be brought for, a convertible or fastback will easily triple the number your using.

$7 to $11 grand may get you a decent later model with lower miles say and 04-2010 convertible V8 with a 5 speed.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
baylensmanfl is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Yadkin Valley
Posts: 6,161
 
Garage
One of the big issues I've experienced with classic cars is the simple weather-tightness. 50+ year old seals have long dried out and replacements just don't fit as well as the originals. I have about $1000 worth of new rubber in my hardtop and I still keep a towel in the trunk in case I get stuck in a hard rain.

With regards to anti-theft, yeah that's a problem too. I installed a simple interrupt device on the hood latch so it can't be opened unless the cable pull in the cabin is in the right position. I also have a GPS locator that uses cell phone service to notify me if the car goes out of a set range. Both these devices can be easily disabled by a guy with a tow truck and an enclosed metal trailer. IMO a classic car thief is going to do that, and the car would be in a container on its way to Eastern Europe or Australia...

The best bang for the buck for the OP author is to buy an S197 Mustang and use that as his DD. They are cheap now, retro styling, with plenty of inexpensive replacement parts, either OEM or aftermarket improvements. Not to mention air bags and a five star crash rating. I bought a well-used 2005 back in 2010 for my daughter when she turned 16 and she still has it. V6 with a 5-speed manual. And we've done some nice mods on it: true dual exhaust (sounds wicked), GT suspension, wheels, tires (handles wicked), HID headlights, and most recently a custom re-paint. It has well over $150k miles on it and runs perfectly.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Yadkin is online now  
Rookie
 
nfrizell's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 24
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
One of the big issues I've experienced with classic cars is the simple weather-tightness. 50+ year old seals have long dried out and replacements just don't fit as well as the originals. I have about $1000 worth of new rubber in my hardtop and I still keep a towel in the trunk in case I get stuck in a hard rain.



With regards to anti-theft, yeah that's a problem too. I installed a simple interrupt device on the hood latch so it can't be opened unless the cable pull in the cabin is in the right position. I also have a GPS locator that uses cell phone service to notify me if the car goes out of a set range. Both these devices can be easily disabled by a guy with a tow truck and an enclosed metal trailer. IMO a classic car thief is going to do that, and the car would be in a container on its way to Eastern Europe or Australia...



The best bang for the buck for the OP author is to buy an S197 Mustang and use that as his DD. They are cheap now, retro styling, with plenty of inexpensive replacement parts, either OEM or aftermarket improvements. Not to mention air bags and a five star crash rating. I bought a well-used 2005 back in 2010 for my daughter when she turned 16 and she still has it. V6 with a 5-speed manual. And we've done some nice mods on it: true dual exhaust (sounds wicked), GT suspension, wheels, tires (handles wicked), HID headlights, and most recently a custom re-paint. It has well over $150k miles on it and runs perfectly.
I agree that an s197 is a good compromise. I have 13k in my Roushcharged 07 GT MT. It's a pretty raw driving experience.....with AC and Cruise Control. The only thing I dont like is the mirrors. My next upgrade will be retro bullet mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
johnwaz3661 likes this.
nfrizell is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Yadkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Yadkin Valley
Posts: 6,161
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrizell View Post
I agree that an s197 is a good compromise. I have 13k in my Roushcharged 07 GT MT. It's a pretty raw driving experience.....with AC and Cruise Control. The only thing I dont like is the mirrors. My next upgrade will be retro bullet mirrors.[IMG]
13,000 on an 07? When are you going to start driving it?

One of my favorites mods on that car are HID headlights. Here's my "how to" thread on it. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ml#post9030737

Here's low beam. Near perfect light distribution and razor sharp cut off to prevent glare on oncoming traffic.


2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
Yadkin is online now  
Rookie
 
nfrizell's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 24
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
13,000 on an 07? When are you going to start driving it?



One of my favorites mods on that car are HID headlights. Here's my "how to" thread on it. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ml#post9030737



Here's low beam. Near perfect light distribution and razor sharp cut off to prevent glare on oncoming traffic.



$13k is how much I spent on the car. Miles are 88k and climbing fast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yadkin likes this.
nfrizell is offline  
Apprentice
 
mcc351's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 196
 
I would add a pertronix unit in the distributor. That gets rid of the points in the distributor.
I drove a 69 Mach 1 as a daily driver in college in the 90’s. It was fun but I can’t say I would recommend. It broke down too many times. Many mechanics even then wouldn’t touch it because the technology was too old. When it rained it would occasionally stall because the distributor would get wet... which was right above a functional hood scoop. Pertronix would eliminate that problem.
If you go this route... stock the trunk with some basic hand tools and a gas can. Getting AAA wouldn’t be a bad idea either. If you have other cars, why not use them as daily drivers then drive the stang on weekends?
mcc351 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1