Console Restoration 1965 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Console Restoration 1965 Mustang

I bought a used console for my 65 convertible. Its in pretty good shape. I do need to do some restoration work on it. I have a couple of questions. First, I am installing a light on the top rather than on the back. Is there any sort of pattern or template for this hole? What is the diameter of the hole? From photos Ive seen online it looks like there is a flat side and that the hole isnt completely round. I assume I will also need the copper contact piece for it, correct? (Photo of connector from NPDI hope its all right to use that photo). Does anyone have photos or diagrams indicating how the lighting works? Finally, I got up under the dash and I think I found the wires/connectors that go to and power the console. The one is black w/a blue stripe. The other looks like a yellow-green color rather than the green w/a yellow stripe. Would that be the right wiring/connector as shown on the wiring schematics. Im guessing so, but I want to be sure before I miswire something and blow up,the car. Any and all help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10EAA6E7-FE82-40EB-AE42-0E0F1670BB8D.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	862.2 KB
ID:	613003   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4C929B8-C9D8-4EFD-8FD6-9C85CEEC0540.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	613005   Click image for larger version

Name:	B5FACC6F-4F0A-4F6A-94AE-590603F5E12D.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	591.0 KB
ID:	613007  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I don't find any photos but the wiring diagrams are attached below. The '65 and '66 diagrams show the same details for long console wiring which, unfortunately, does not include the bronze 'finger'. The contact on the bulb has a 12V wire on it and the base of the bulb is connected to the finger. The hinge on the 'stowage compartment' door has a ground wire connection on one side (too long ago to remember which side). When you open the door it swings up and forward so that it contacts the finger. That allows the door to provide a ground to the bulb completing the circuit. Especially that wire you show on the right with the blue connector is not original so who knows what it was doing. I also don't recognize the yellow wires. The black/blue #53 should be for the rear console lights. For the stowage light the wire should be green/yellow, #54. For all of them the ground wires are black, #57.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 Accessories pictorial.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	613017   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 Accessories.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	613019  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I have a damaged original console I keep for parts allowing me to measure the hole for the bulb. The flat side in the hole is to keep the finger oriented so that it always point towards the door. There are small clips formed into the base of the metal finger which will snap into the hole. There are two clips on the door side which are arranged to fit the flat side of the hole. The basic hole size is 1 1/4" so that the bulb socket will snap into place but if you measure across the hole, perpendicular to the flat side, the hole is only about 1" across. The flat is on the door side of the hole with the flat parallel to the door.

Once you have a socket and finger it should be more obvious how they need to snap together and fit into the hole. As I recall, the details of how the ground wire connects to the door hinge are not explained anywhere. You make that connection however you think it will work the best. Since your console does not have a hole you will need to position the hole correctly to make sure this all works. If yours is made like an original then the flat side on the hole should be 1 15/16" forward of the straight edge of the opening on top of the console.

The important part is that the finger touches the opened door and neither the finger, or the bulb socket keeps the door from fully opening.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Great information and a big help to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
console courtesy lights , console lights , console storage light , console wiring connection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page