Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 


Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-09-2008   #1 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default 67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures

This is the mustang I mentioned yesterday. Need to know what you guys think its worth? Will be working on house and owner will trade car for work. Where can I go to get info on Vin# information and the rest of codes on door plate?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Vin# 8R01J128800
Body Codes 65A Q 2B 16A 71 5 W
Attached Thumbnails
67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures-dscn2122.jpg  67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures-dscn2121.jpg  67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures-dscn2120.jpg  67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures-dscn2114.jpg  
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 12-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
Jay H 237 is offline GT Member

Classic Member


Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,631 Threads: 16
 Jay H 237's Country Flag  View Jay H 237's 16 photos  View Jay H 237's HomePage
Watertown   Connecticut
Jay H 237 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodawg View Post
This is the mustang I mentioned yesterday. Need to know what you guys think its worth? Will be working on house and owner will trade car for work. Where can I go to get info on Vin# information and the rest of codes on door plate?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Vin# 8R01J128800
Body Codes 65A Q 2B 16A 71 5 W
Nice solid looking coupe. It was built a week before mine as my VIN is 133047 and built on January 22nd. I'll break the codes down for you and give some other facts about that car from my books.

Here's your VIN breakdown,

8....last digit of model year (1968)
R....assembly plant (San Jose)
01...body code (coupe)
J.....engine code (302 4v)
128800....sequential build number (your car was the 28,800 vehicle scheduled for build at San Jose in the 68 model year. The first digit is a place holder and started at 1)


65A.....standard hardtop (coupe)
Q....paint code (Brittany Blue)
2B...interior code (blue vinyl)
16A....scheduled build date (January 16, 1968)
71...DSO, general area where car was shipped and sold from (Los Angeles)
5.....axle ratio (3.00 non-locking)
W....transmission (C4 auto)

Here's some facts from Ford's production records:

there were 8,873 Brittany Blue coupes with standard blue vinyl interior in 68

there were 15,985 J code 302 coupes with the C4 auto in 68

it was 1 of 23,764 coupes to go to DSO 71 in 68, my car was one of them too


That looks like an original unmolested car and has power steering and brakes too. The motor looks to be the original 302 also.

As to value, I'm not sure exactly. Northeast people like me would pay more for a solid, unmolested car like that.
__________________
1968 Mustang coupe, Acapulco Blue, 289 2v, C-4, Power Steering.
Hopefully a 1969 convertible or Sportsroof (non Mach or Boss) for next Mustang project

Trying to find my father's 1973 Mustang Grande he bought brand new. 3F04F126773 last known registration and title was in New Jersey, 1982.
Jay H 237 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008   #3 (permalink)
68coupe&06GT is offline Made Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member


Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 328 Threads: 42
 68coupe&06GT's Country Flag  View 68coupe&06GT's 5 photos
Chesterfield   Virginia
68coupe&06GT is on a distinguished road
Default

Based soley on the look from the pics, and the descriptions you have provided, I think you have a car with alot of potential. As it sits, I wouldnt pay more than $2500-3000 tops. That being said, I dont think it would take a lot of time or money to have that thing running and looking right. A solid running and nicely painted stang can easily bring $10,000... Besides, once you have it fixed up and running good, you will probably end up selling that Chevelle because you will finally know how it feels to drive a real car!
68coupe&06GT is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008   #4 (permalink)
68coupe&06GT is offline Made Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member


Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 328 Threads: 42
 68coupe&06GT's Country Flag  View 68coupe&06GT's 5 photos
Chesterfield   Virginia
68coupe&06GT is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H 237 View Post
Nice solid looking coupe. It was built a week before mine as my VIN is 133047 and built on January 22nd. I'll break the codes down for you and give some other facts about that car from my books.

Here's your VIN breakdown,

8....last digit of model year (1968)
R....assembly plant (San Jose)
01...body code (coupe)
J.....engine code (302 4v)
128800....sequential build number (your car was the 28,800 vehicle scheduled for build at San Jose in the 68 model year. The first digit is a place holder and started at 1)


65A.....standard hardtop (coupe)
Q....paint code (Brittany Blue)
2B...interior code (blue vinyl)
16A....scheduled build date (January 16, 1968)
71...DSO, general area where car was shipped and sold from (Los Angeles)
5.....axle ratio (3.00 non-locking)
W....transmission (C4 auto)

Here's some facts from Ford's production records:

there were 8,873 Brittany Blue coupes with standard blue vinyl interior in 68

there were 15,985 J code 302 coupes with the C4 auto in 68

it was 1 of 23,764 coupes to go to DSO 71 in 68, my car was one of them too


That looks like an original unmolested car and has power steering and brakes too. The motor looks to be the original 302 also.

As to value, I'm not sure exactly. Northeast people like me would pay more for a solid, unmolested car like that.
JayH, Where do you find all those stats? I believe I have a rare Mustang but I cant find a whole lot of info about it. My 68 has whats called a "Sprint Package" on it...What can you tell me about that?
68coupe&06GT is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008   #5 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68coupe&06GT View Post
Based soley on the look from the pics, and the descriptions you have provided, I think you have a car with alot of potential. As it sits, I wouldnt pay more than $2500-3000 tops. That being said, I dont think it would take a lot of time or money to have that thing running and looking right. A solid running and nicely painted stang can easily bring $10,000... Besides, once you have it fixed up and running good, you will probably end up selling that Chevelle because you will finally know how it feels to drive a real car!
A real funny guy!!! hahaha Here's a pic of that non real car. 396 SS
Attached Thumbnails
67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures-69chev396-1.jpg  67/68 coupe? Vin # Info and Pictures-69chev396-3.jpg  
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008   #6 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H 237 View Post
Nice solid looking coupe. It was built a week before mine as my VIN is 133047 and built on January 22nd. I'll break the codes down for you and give some other facts about that car from my books.



That looks like an original unmolested car and has power steering and brakes too. The motor looks to be the original 302 also.

As to value, I'm not sure exactly. Northeast people like me would pay more for a solid, unmolested car like that.
THANKS thanks alot!!!! for that invaluable information. Lots of important info there. Where do you get this? I'd like to check my 69 Chevelle info.
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008   #7 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,545 Threads: 106
 Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about
Default

Hello. I'm assuming that this car is in California now? If you decide that you don't want it, I know someone that probably does.
Veronica is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008   #8 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
Hello. I'm assuming that this car is in California now? If you decide that you don't want it, I know someone that probably does.

Yes it's in Southern California In one of the pictures you will see my son, he's the one that really wants it, but I will help him get it lookin good!! Sorry
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #9 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,545 Threads: 106
 Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodawg View Post
Yes it's in Southern California In one of the pictures you will see my son, he's the one that really wants it, but I will help him get it lookin good!! Sorry
Hi again. No problem. Your find, your car. One thing that you might be unaware of is how the intake manifold on that car is worth more than the car probably is. The 68 Shelby GT-350s had that same plain-jane 302 4bbl J code motor, cast iron intake manifold and all, up until people belly-aching about it got Ford to replace it with the aluminum intake that the 67 GT 350s used. Most of the cast iron 4bbl intakes from the 68 model year went straight into the trash. If that car still has it's original intake, I know a guy that is restoring a 68 GT-350 that was built in like late january. If you are interested in recovering a big chunk of the cost of that car, this fellow would probably give you a couple grand for that intake. He contacted me about a carburetor that I had which was date-coded correct for his car. I didn't want to sell mine, but I put in touch with a friend of mine that I thought had a couple of them, which he did. They ended up working something out on a bunch of 68 Shelby stuff that my friend had. The point of that being, this fellow that would be interested in that intake is a real person with a real checkbook, full of checks that actually clear. If you like. I could call my friend and get this guy's phone number or email address or something.
Veronica is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #10 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
Hi again. No problem. Your find, your car. One thing that you might be unaware of is how the intake manifold on that car is worth more than the car probably is. The 68 Shelby GT-350s had that same plain-jane 302 4bbl J code motor, cast iron intake manifold and all, up until people belly-aching about it got Ford to replace it with the aluminum intake that the 67 GT 350s used. Most of the cast iron 4bbl intakes from the 68 model year went straight into the trash. If that car still has it's original intake, I know a guy that is restoring a 68 GT-350 that was built in like late january. If you are interested in recovering a big chunk of the cost of that car, this fellow would probably give you a couple grand for that intake. He contacted me about a carburetor that I had which was date-coded correct for his car. I didn't want to sell mine, but I put in touch with a friend of mine that I thought had a couple of them, which he did. They ended up working something out on a bunch of 68 Shelby stuff that my friend had. The point of that being, this fellow that would be interested in that intake is a real person with a real checkbook, full of checks that actually clear. If you like. I could call my friend and get this guy's phone number or email address or something.
I don't have car yet but I probably want to leave it as orginal as I can. Now my son may have other ideas. You know how kids are these days. 18" rims, blacking out everything, no chrome, LED's everywhere. And Freakin Rap screaming out the windows. ugh!!! Trying to talk him into orginal is better and if he changes anything keep the parts so I can change it back, when it ends up parked in driveway and not driven anymore. Because he likes his rice rocket more. I already have my plans for this car. hahahaha
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #11 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,545 Threads: 106
 Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about
Default

Hi again. It sounds like your son is nearly as stupid as mine is. He's my son, and I love him bunches, but sometimes his behaviour causes me to suspect that he's retarded.
Veronica is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #12 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, he's not stupid but sometimes I wonder what these kids think about these days. Actually he has a 4.3 grade average in college but he does follow the trends forced upon him by his peers. But I was no angel growing up. He is actually way ahead of me when I was his age and has givin me little trouble while growing up, and very proud of him. Guess Ive been pretty lucky up till now!! Hope it continues.
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #13 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,545 Threads: 106
 Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about
Default

Hi again. I know what you mean. My son has never made anything but straight As, never had any of the trouble that a lot of kids seem to run into. He's only sixteen now, so, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but he is a good kid, it's just that, sometimes he'll do something that is just SOOOO stupid, I can't help but question how effectively he's processing information. I certainly did not intend to insult your son, and I hope that you don't take it that way.

I like to pretend that I wasn't sometimes, but the sad truth is that I actually was an angel growing up. My friends used to say that I was allergic to fun.
Veronica is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #14 (permalink)
evodawg is offline Rookie


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 19 Threads: 3
 evodawg's Country Flag
Rancho Cucamonga   California
evodawg is on a distinguished road
Default

No I didnt take it that way. I knew what you meant.
evodawg is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008   #15 (permalink)
67ragtopStang is offline Made Member


Joined: May 2008
Posts: 850 Threads: 43
 67ragtopStang's Country Flag  View 67ragtopStang's 4 photos
Cape Cod   Massachusetts
67ragtopStang is on a distinguished road
Default

That looks like a nice solid '68 Coupe - with power steering and power brakes too!

It would be a great car to have in Southern California. I'm from the northweast - we don't see many original paint rust free cars around here.

Nice lookin' '69 Chevelle too!
__________________
I contend, that for a nation to try to tax itself, into prosperity, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
—Winston Churchill

1967 Mustang Convertible - 289-4V w/C4
1992 Bronco - 302 EFI Auto
1974 24' Lyman Biscayne
67ragtopStang is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162