Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
aharemza is offline Rookie

Classic Member

aharemza's Country Flag
Eastland   Texas
aharemza is on a distinguished road
Any Suggestions? 1964 1/2 Mustang Vin Number, How can it be found?

I have purchased a 1964 1/2 Mustang Coupe and the title & vin number on the door don't match the vehicle & the Vin Number under the hood has been cut out & welded over. Can the car be tracked back by using the engine serial number.The 260 V8 engine & Auto transmission are original for the car which has all the indications it is a 1964 1/2 which the current title identifies the car as a 1965, Fastback,200 6cyl engine. I would like to get this car back to the correct year built if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Jay H 237 is offline GT Member

Classic Member

Jay H 237's Country Flag  View Jay H 237's 16 photos  View Jay H 237's HomePage
Watertown   Connecticut
Jay H 237 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

There is no VIN on the motors back then.

Since the title is completely wrong, doesn't even go to this car, it's useless.

So the door tag VIN doesn't match the car either? It sounds like the door was replaced too.

Now with the cars true legal VIN being removed from under the hood there's no real VIN left on this car. Did you check both (driver and passenger side) inner fenders and even look under the fender lip since the VIN is sometimes double stamped and the second one further back?

If there's absolutely no VINs left on both inner fenders then someone has removed this cars ID either on purpose (stolen?) or ignorance (panel repair/replacement and didn't keep track). You said "welded over". Is there an actual piece of metal welded on top of where the VIN should be? If that's the case I'd carefully grind it off to see if there's a legible VIN still under it.

Can you contact the previous owner and find out if they know anything?

You may wind up having to get a state issued VIN.

Trying to find my father's 1973 Mustang Grande he bought brand new. 3F04F126773 last known registration and title was in New Jersey, 1982.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-04-2009   #3 (permalink)
dodgestang is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

dodgestang's Country Flag  View dodgestang's 21 photos  View dodgestang's HomePage
Cecil County   Maryland
dodgestang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dodgestang

Don't spend another dime on the car till you have the title and vin issue squared away. If you spent any money on it so far take those parts off and be fully prepared for worse case scenario if you do you find the real vin which can be on the driver or passenger fender (you need to take both off to check for both hidden vins). If you find a vin and then attempt to title to it and it is a bad vin/car the car will be taken away. There are no other markings on the car that can be used for registration (door plate is not valid for title purposes).

Best case scenario IMO is that someone had 2 mustangs and made 1 and didn't know/care to know enough about them and just sold/titling it as which ever one's paper work was the easiest for him to get out of his desk.
Unread 01-04-2009   #4 (permalink)
AllStangs is offline Rookie

AllStangs's Country Flag  View AllStangs's 21 photos  View AllStangs's HomePage
SW
AllStangs is on a distinguished road

I agree with dodgestang. It sounds like the VIN was tampered with on purpose and that's not a good sign for you. I'd clear this up ASAP and prepare for the worst.

Also, here's a link to a previous post with almost your exact issue. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...locations.html

It includes a pic with the alternate VIN locations. Take a look and hopefully you've still got the correct VIN stamped in one of those locations:

Good luck! Hope it's just a simple misunderstanding.
Unread 01-04-2009   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member

aharemza's Country Flag
Eastland   Texas
Thumbs up Vin Number Locations

Thanks for the help. I will remove the front fender to see if those in Numbers are still there which I believe they are since the fenders do appear to be original and have not been removed.

I will post what I find.

Thanks again for the help
Unread 01-10-2009   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member

aharemza's Country Flag
Eastland   Texas
Question Found Vin Number

I Have found the Vin # 5F07D163325 on both fender mounts and it is the same. Now I have one discrepancy and that the vin # indicates that the car was built with a 286 4V by the engine code, but the car has a 260 2v and the fender emblems also are for a 260 V8. There appears to be no damage or evidence that the front of the car has ever been apart and the engine and transmission are original. I am working on getting a title for the car with the Vin # under fender mounts. Based on the vin # I located can anyone tell me if this is a vin # for a 1964 1/2?

Unread 01-10-2009   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

dodgestang's Country Flag  View dodgestang's 21 photos  View dodgestang's HomePage
Cecil County   Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharemza View Post
I Have found the Vin # 5F07D163325 on both fender mounts and it is the same. Now I have one discrepancy and that the vin # indicates that the car was built with a 286 4V by the engine code, but the car has a 260 2v and the fender emblems also are for a 260 V8. There appears to be no damage or evidence that the front of the car has ever been apart and the engine and transmission are original. I am working on getting a title for the car with the Vin # under fender mounts. Based on the vin # I located can anyone tell me if this is a vin # for a 1964 1/2?

The logic is really simply on this one.

Either the motor is original to the car and someone put a front clip on the car or
the front clip is correct and someone installed the different motor or
neither the motor or the clip is original to the car.

It doesn't really matter either way, the car is OLD, they go through a lot in their lives and this one very obviously was restored by someone at some point. Given the fact that it has a D code would indicate the vin # on the aprons are from an early 65 model year that some people refer to as 64 1/2. But given the fact that everything appears to be a mish mash it certainly isn't definitive. Does the car have a generator in it? Does it have the generator wiring?

'64 1/2 Mustangs, How to Tell the Difference - ClassicMustang.com
Unread 01-10-2009   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

Cecil County   Maryland

Nothing to see here...move along...just a DP
Unread 01-11-2009   #9 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hello. The car would have had a scheduled production date of about 10F, or, June 10th of 64, which would be a 64 1/2. However, it appears that you are unaware of the fact that the 64 1/2s are all titled as 65 model cars. I would be interested in hearing how you determined that the motor in the car is a 260, and not a 289. Also, if there is something welded over the top of one of the vin stampings under the hood, I think that I would knock that off and see if the D code vin is there underneath. And, one more question, is the D code vin on the door tag?
Unread 01-11-2009   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member

aharemza's Country Flag
Eastland   Texas

The Vin # on The Door is 5F09T717311 which is for a 65, fast back, And 6 cyl eng. The Vin number under hood was cut out & welded over. The reason I say the car has a 260 V8 is that both fender emblem are 260 & it has a 2 Barrel carb with generator. Is the production date stamped in other places I can look for.

Thanks for the Help
Unread 06-06-2009   #11 (permalink)
chris_il is offline Rookie

chris_il's Country Flag
bellflower, il   Illinois
chris_il is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up re: aharemza

yor vin# codes indicate as follows: 5F07D163325

the 5 means 1965...wich all 64 1/2 and 1965 mustangs are titled as

the F is the engine code, wich F indicates 289

the D is the production plant code...wich is Dearborn michigan

if you want to truly id your car as a 64 1/2, here are a couple things to look for that are unique only to a true 64 1/2:

vents in front of battery box for cooling

measure the mustang emblems..as they were smaller in 64

look at the heater control switch, is it chrome and is the fan speed in the center at the top of the switch

look at the spar tire hold down in the trunk, is it a slot?

does it have the smaller sized T-handle shifter?

does it have the generator instead of alt? this was exclusive to 64 1/2 only

is the horn larg and mounted on the driverside front tip of the frame rail?

does the passenger seat adjust? it shouldnt

look at both rear brake light lenses and front signal lenses, they will be marked with a 64

are the headlights beveled to match the fenders?

does the gas cap have a security cable? 64 1/2 didnt

I will have to refer to my list, but there are tons more. if you like throw me an email..... lockman74@hotmail.com
Unread 06-07-2009   #12 (permalink)
Jay H 237 is offline GT Member

Classic Member

Jay H 237's Country Flag  View Jay H 237's 16 photos  View Jay H 237's HomePage
Watertown   Connecticut
Jay H 237 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_il View Post
yor vin# codes indicate as follows: 5F07D163325

the F is the engine code, wich F indicates 289

the D is the production plant code...wich is Dearborn michigan
You have that backwards. The second digit, the F, is the production plant code for Dearborn. The fifth digit, the D, is the engine code for the 289 4v offered on the early 65 cars.

Trying to find my father's 1973 Mustang Grande he bought brand new. 3F04F126773 last known registration and title was in New Jersey, 1982.
Unread 06-07-2009   #13 (permalink)

chris_il's Country Flag
Default 64 1/2

ahhh jay u r right, I stand correctedf. I was tired lol ty
Unread 06-07-2009   #14 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hi again. I'm pretty sure that aharemza has things sorted out by now. But, just for clarity's sake, it wasn't the running pony emblem that was smaller, it was the "Mustang" script on the fender. The center/off heater switch, the carriage bolt spare hold-down and smaller T-handle were phased out. There were some cars built as late as october of 64 that had some of these things. There were two horns and they were mounted on top of the strut rod support bracket. If you open the hood and look down, you would see one on each side of the fan. The non-adjustable passenger side seat was phased out around may 1st, so, they built a lot more 64 1/2s that had the adjustable passenger seat than had the non-adjustable. The fenders didn't have a bevel in them. The headlight door bevel was to keep the lip of what is generally considered to be "The 64 1/2 Hood" from hitting the headlight door assembly, and, the vast majority of these cars no longer have the gas cap without the don't-lose-me cable. The reason for adding that cable to the gas cap was sound. The last time that I actually saw a car with my own eyes that still had the original 64 1/2 gas cap was nearly twenty years ago. Other than my car, that is. I saw it a couple of hours ago. But, my car was sitting in a barn for like 25 years when I got it. Nobody had the chance to lose the gas cap from the early 70s until the late 90s.
Unread 06-07-2009   #15 (permalink)

chris_il's Country Flag
Default 64 1/2 checklist

yes you are right, things were phased out....when they started building 65's. even then some 64 1/2 parts were carried over. a true 64 1/2 horn is down on the frame rail on the drivers side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162