Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
stayclassy44 is offline Rookie

Classic Member

stayclassy44's Country Flag  View stayclassy44's 10 photos
Boulder City   Nevada
stayclassy44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to stayclassy44
Unhappy 1965 Mustang fuse panel / fuse box diagram?

So theres three different 14 amp fuses in the fuse panel, two are smaller than the third, but i don't know which one goes to the "cigar" lighter. Of the two smaller ones, one says ACCY (which i am guessing would be accessory) and the other one is NTR or HTR its pretty old and hard to read. The larger one I can't really read because there is paint from the dash panel covering it up, but i can make out LTR.
Help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
jim293 is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member

jim293's Country Flag  View jim293's 3 photos
Southern   California
jim293 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to jim293

Welcome lets see if we can get your question answered in this section.
#293 Torch Red
Power in the hands of a few
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
nigel is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Mustang II Member

nigel's Country Flag  View nigel's 8 photos
Taneytown   Maryland
nigel is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Chelle C is offline Apprentice

S197 Member

Chelle C's Country Flag  View Chelle C's 46 photos  View Chelle C's HomePage
Smithville   Texas
Chelle C is on a distinguished road

I just dug out my master wiring diagram for 1965. It has diagrams for all 65 model Ford vehicles. It probably had 10 pages of diagrams for the 65 Mustang, and not one drawing of the fuse panel. I dug out a manual and bingo. The one that you said you could make out LTR on is the 14A cigar lighter. The manual covers Falcon, Comet, Fairlane and Mustang and the fuse panel shown says typical. In the picture the cig ltr is the botton fuse.

Chelle
Unread 02-02-2009   #5 (permalink)
Veronica is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hello. Here's that diagram Chelle mentioned. This actually for a 68, but I'm pretty sure that it's the same on a 66. I have some 66 underdash harnesses and can dig one out in the morning and take a picture of the actual fuse box of a 66 Mustang and mark what's what on it. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
1965 Mustang fuse panel / fuse box diagram?-68-fuse-box.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2009   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hi again. And, here you go. This one is still clear enough to read what Ford wrote on it. It's the same as the diagram for the 68, though.
Attached Thumbnails
1965 Mustang fuse panel / fuse box diagram?-66-fuse-box.jpg  
Unread 02-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
stayclassy44 is offline Rookie

Classic Member

stayclassy44's Country Flag  View stayclassy44's 10 photos
Boulder City   Nevada
stayclassy44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to stayclassy44
Thumbs up

Rhank youvery much
Unread 01-05-2010   #8 (permalink)
jdstefan22 is offline Made Member

jdstefan22's Country Flag  View jdstefan22's HomePage
Liberty Twsp   New Jersey
jdstefan22 is on a distinguished road

When did the 66's go to a 20amp fuse for the Lighter/Emer. Flasher in the fuse block?

I checked out Veronica's picture, from a 1966 wiring harness, it has the 14 amp block for that fuse. I am replacing mine, pulled it out and saw that I have a 20A fuse for those items. Mine is a standard, stock 1966 wiring harness.

I am putting in the repro wiring harness, the new fuse block also denotes this socket as 20A.

Not that it makes any difference now, but did the 66's have two different wiring harness that changed fuse blocks sometime during the year, or were they perhaps at times, plant dependant, working with left over stock from 1965?

My car was built 4/2/66-Metuchen
Attached Thumbnails
1965 Mustang fuse panel / fuse box diagram?-january-2010-wiring-harness-replacement-009.jpg  

"@http://www.flickr.com/photos/72796746@N00/
Unread 01-05-2010   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas

Hi again. That is an interesting question.The fuse box that I took the picture of is actually a 65, but, the 66s were the same. I just went and did some digging around and here's what I discovered. I have a few 66 underdash harnesses that I pulled out of cars that were being parted out. The latest was out of a car that was built in late February, and they are all marked 14A in the lighter/emergency flasher spot. I have a couple of N.O.S. Ford 66 underdash harnesses that were actually assembled before 1970, but after the end of the 66 model year, and they are both marked 20A in that spot.

The 66 shop manual calls for a 14 amp fuse on cars that have just the lighter, and, a 20 amp fuse for cars that have both the lighter and the emergency flashers, which is, no doubt, a carry-over from 65, when emergency flashers were an option. Since all 66 Mustangs had emergency flashers, they should all have a 20 amp fuse in that slot, even though it says 14A.

What all of this leads me to believe is that either A) the fuse boxes that say 20A there would have been phased in very late in the model year, certainly after late February, or B) the cars that rolled off the line for the 66 model year all said 14A there and your car's underdash harness was replaced at some point early in it's life.
Unread 01-05-2010   #10 (permalink)

Veronica--

Thanks for answering, I was counting on you!

I think, in fact, your post answered the question that I couldn't find in the 1966 Shop manual, which I have on CD.

I think maybe re-reading my post I wasn't clear.

I have a 66 with the 20A fuse in the lighter/flasher position. The picture I put up confirms that. I think my first sentence may have confused things, as I was referencing the picture you had put up last year, of the "66" wiring harness, which reading your post, it is really a 65 box.

So, in reality, the harness I have, for what I have, the standard 66 setup, lighter, emerg flashers, the 20A in that position is correct for my car, I believe.

What page in the shop manual has the ratings for the fuses, etc. I looked yesterday and couldnt find it, but did find a drawing of a fuse block on page 15-9, which is a "typical" fuse block drawing, also most likely a leftover graphic from 65, or perhaps the Falcon or another 66 that the manual covers used the 14A in that slot?

I am pretty certain that my harness is original, so maybe we could surmise that sometime between Feb and April of 66, they maybe used up old stock of the leftover 65 harness and put in the 'newer' 20A cig/emer fuse blocks.

An interesting question-

Unread 01-05-2010   #11 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

This is a Ford screwup. At least by March (door plate date 23 March) the Dearborn factory '66 fuse block was marked 20A in that location but its the SAME block as '65 just labeled differently. If you try to put a SFE20 fuse in that slot, like the shop manual says you should, you will find that it won't fit. Whether they ever fixed that goof I do not know. By July the San Jose cars still had the 20A label on the 14A slot.

An SFE20 fuse is 1 1/4" long. An SFE14 fuse is only 1 1/16" long. A 20 won't fit in the fuse block spot. There is a 20A fuse that will fit but its called either an AGW20 (7/8" long, long ago called a 7AG) or an AGX20 (1" long, 8AG). Chances are VERY high that your auto parts store won't have either one. They come from an electronic supply house. But then I have never used the lighter during an emergency when the flashers were on...

So you may THINK you have a 20A fuse in there but, if its a '66 factory harness, if you pull out that fuse its pretty likely going to be a 14. I had owned the car 25 years before I noticed this 'problem'. But, surprise, since my car(s) have used a 14A in that slot for 40+ years I don't think a 20A is really needed.

Anyone want to buy a box of SFE20 fuses that I bought before I learned they won't fit the car?? Pristine, NOS, driven only by a little old lady from the NAPA store.
Unread 01-05-2010   #12 (permalink)

IVYGT- Thanks for the heads up! You saved me $3.00 of useless fuse purchases!

I am guessing they must have had some fuse common to that time that was 20A that fit the slot as you mentioned.

Just interesting to see when these little changes were made between the 65 and 66 items. They had to cast a whole new block, or at least the 20A part that is etched into the block. Did they just use up old 65 stock into the early 66 product year? As a fairly early 66 car-mine was built in late March, early April-probably with parts in Metuchen that had been stock piled what, maybe a couple months in advance(or did parts fly out of there, as they were producing these cars heavily during this time), it would be curious to know when certain parts were used from left over stock into the next model year. Of course, I got the correct 66 wiring harness in mine, so by at least April, in Metuchen, they had used up old stock prior to that.

Most likely, unless you were there AND have a really good memory for minutae, no one is every going to know for sure.

In terms of the repro wiring harness, I got the standard 66 Repro wiring harness, with the same fuse block that my old one has. I am happy with it thus far, everything is right where it should be, but as a stickler for detail, I am going to put some white paint, to highlight the letters on the fuse block that tell what each socket is for and the ratings for that socket.

The repro block, while correct in size, etc, the wording is raised letters instead of being etched into the block and there isnt any white paint to make the raised letters easily readable against the black color.

Carefully placed white paint dabbed on will cure that.

Last edited by jdstefan22; 01-05-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarity
Unread 01-05-2010   #13 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

Early April is not an early '66 car. They started making them back in September and the year was more than half over by April. I agree that no one likely knows when they changed. Notice that even today most of us didn't know that they had EVER changed.

The Ford shop manual calls for an SFE20 fuse in that spot. They have always been the same length; a length that won't fit the fuse block. Ford knew about other fuse types since the 2 1/2A fuse in that box is an AGA. Why they didn't call out a 20A fuse that would fit I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstefan22 View Post
The repro block, while correct in size, etc, the wording is raised letters instead of being etched into the block and there isnt any white paint to make the raised letters easily readable against the black color.
That's odd. Couldn't they just copy an old one? Someone must have thought raised letters were easier but I don't understand how or why. I make molded parts and its just as easy to make the letters recessed and that also makes it possible to put paint in the letters. For me to make a copy with raised letters would be a lot more work than to copy an old one and make them 'original'.
Unread 01-06-2010   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas

Hi again. This is one of those things that could escape someone's notice for a good long while. Based on what I've seen and read in these posts, I'ld say that it was safe to say that the change occurred sometime in March, though. I'll bounce this one off of some people and see what they know. It could be that this is actually common knowledge in certain circles, and, I'm just not in those circles.

The fuse specs are about a dozen pages past that 'typical' fuse box, in section 15-5/ page 15-25.
Unread 01-06-2010   #15 (permalink)

Thanks Veronica, for the heads up where the specs for each fuse are located. I copied the page from the 66 Manual and have attached here, for anyone who needs this info in the future.

Since you mention that all 66's came with Emergency Switches, why the manual would even specify that a 66 uses a 14A in the "Cigar lighter" fuse and a 20A in the "Cigar Lighter and Emergency Warning Flasher" socket would be a mystery. Would not the "Cigar Lighter" fuse not truly be for just the "Cigar Lighter" on a 66, but for really the "Cigar Lighter and Emergency Warning Flasher", since I am taking you on your word that 66's came with the Emergency Flasher as STD equipment.

I smell left over 65 harness' all over this, at least for the early ones put in 66 models,(prior to Feb or so) and possibly could just be a poor proof reading job at Ford, as the manual does cover 4 different cars(Falcon, Comet, Fairlane and Mustang). Maybe they just forgot to leave that cell under the Mustang "Cigar Lighter" blank, instead they put in 14A- as had been in 65?

Either way, these are interesting mysteries, none of which are going to change anything in my wiring job, but intersting to bring up previously somewhat uncharted territory. (at least for me)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1966 Fuse Block Ratings.pdf (226.8 KB, 919 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
electrical, fuse, fuse box, fuse panel, lighter

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162