Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what is the rarest mustang of them all?

47K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  tgwise 
#1 ·
well folks what is it?the first one off the assembly line, the boss 302, the boss 429 ,the gt k codes? you tell me, and why.

#31 ·
I dont know about anybody else, but I am really liking that custom fastback vert. Thats having your cake, and eating it too. And I think the price is about right. Too many people think their nothing special plane jane pony cars are worth a ton of money. I think they are a dime a dozen. And you cant make any money by buying one and restoring it to sell.

#32 ·
I second the Bullitt mustang. I am a big fan, and there aren't that many mustangs that have been in such great movies.:worship

Brad Bowling

I almost cried when I read this article. Its the classic, "I'll eventually fix it" response and mind set these people have. I can't stand it. If you're not going to drive it and appreciate it, atleast let someone else enjoy it!

#33 ·
I second the Bullitt mustang. I am a big fan, and there aren't that many mustangs that have been in such great movies.:worship

Brad Bowling

I almost cried when I read this article. Its the classic, "I'll eventually fix it" response and mind set these people have. I can't stand it. If you're not going to drive it and appreciate it, atleast let someone else enjoy it!
Kills me how people have an item like that and don't care enough to keep it restored or at least enjoy it. I'll never get it! Next we'll hear it rotted out at the farm.

#35 ·
When you ask which one is the rarest, you might want to establish what criterion should be factored into the equation. I think everyone would agree that pre-production prototypes and test mules should not be included.

Whether it be a Ford Mustang or any other marque, it is generally accepted that the minimum criterion for gauging a car's rarity should include the:

>> year, make, model, body style and original engine.

To narrow it down further, some might also want to factor in transmission. Others will often factor in paint color, trim and/or other options.

Using the minimum defined above, the rarest Mustang of them all would be VIN 7R03Q133290. Decoded and verified by Kevin Marti, that translates to a:

1967 Ford Mustang Convertible with a 428 cu.in. engine.

This was a standard assembly-line built Mustang at Ford's San Jose plant.

All other big block Mustang convertibles were the S-code 390 cu.in. This is the only one to receive the dual-quad topped 428 cu.in. "Interceptor" engine.

It was ordered by and delivered to Shelby American where became Carroll Shelby's "personal driver." It was the only Mustang convertible ever ordered by and upgraded by Shelby American (the four '66 GT small block Mustangs were a creation of a California Ford-Shelby dealer).

web source: 1967 Shelby GT 500 Convertible - The World's Rarest Car

#36 ·
When you ask which one is the rarest, you might want to establish what criterion should be factored into the equation. I think everyone would agree that pre-production prototypes and test mules should not be included.

Whether it be a Ford Mustang or any other marque, it is generally accepted that the minimum criterion for gauging a car's rarity should include the:

>> year, make, model, body style and original engine.

To narrow it down further, some might also want to factor in transmission. Others will often factor in paint color, trim and/or other options.

Using the minimum defined above, the rarest Mustang of them all would be VIN 7R03Q133290. Decoded and verified by Kevin Marti, that translates to a:

1967 Ford Mustang Convertible with a 428 cu.in. engine.

This was a standard assembly-line built Mustang at Ford's San Jose plant.

All other big block Mustang convertibles were the S-code 390 cu.in. This is the only one to receive the dual-quad topped 428 cu.in. "Interceptor" engine.

It was ordered by and delivered to Shelby American where became Carroll Shelby's "personal driver." It was the only Mustang convertible ever ordered by and upgraded by Shelby American (the four '66 GT small block Mustangs were a creation of a California Ford-Shelby dealer).

web source: 1967 Shelby GT 500 Convertible - The World's Rarest Car

Uh ........... you do realize you responded to a thread that is almost 4 years old.

This thread was started by Shommel. Speaking of which, anybody heard or seen anything from Shommel lately

#38 ·
I know this is an old thread but want to add to it. I purchased a 69 sportsroof last year 2014. Upon tearing it down for some repairs and fresh paint I found the bucktag. It has the body code of 63D. It threw me way off. I was informed by a 69-70 MCA Gold judge that it was an Mustang 'E'.
I purchased a Marti Report and was informed that my car was indeed a "E" series car and that it was the first and only one he has ran a report for. As far as rare goes, I can say that the Mustang "E" series is not only physically rare (cannot find anyone who owns one) but the information is also very rare. I can only find Ford publicity photos, about 3 of them, and no personal photos. I also find that lifelong Mustang people have never even heard of them. I just wanted to add this information to bring awareness to the "E" series. These cars also have a "Mustang E" decal on the rear of the quarter panels. Forgot to add, Mustang Monthly ran an article in the 80's about a guy who had one and he believed to have the only one around then. So, I think the "E" cars should be considered as extremely rare.

#39 ·
Out of curiosity, what engine is in it?

I'd suggest you hire Kevin Marti to perform a complete search and provide you rarity metrics on the '69 63D, as well as where in the sequence your car fits. Kevin's always backed up, so get the request sooner rather than later.

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.