Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-02-2012   #136 (permalink)
rodbender is offline MACH I Member

Classic Member

rodbender's Country Flag  View rodbender's 30 photos
Pekin   Illinois
rodbender is on a distinguished road

Hello again, After the doors were painted I had to wait awhile before I could handle them. This is due to the cooler temps here having an effect on the curing time of the paint. I got the weatherstrip on yesterday and touched up some bad places on the interior paint. So today, after my "cholesterol special" breakfast, I'll grab some bolts and washers and get started putting the doors on. There's also an issue of repairing my charred interior pieces. I did'nt take any pics here because putting on weatherstripping is as exciting as listening to paint dry. Oh! I almost forgot, there is no oil leak only a coolant leak at the thermostat housing. SO, now to fix that and finish wire the MSD box, put the headers on and see if this ol' girl will run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2012   #137 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hi again. On the weatherstripping, I found it helpful to use a tiny drop of super glue in strategic places to hold the weatherstripping perfectly in position while the actual weatherstrip adhesive dried. That really simplified things. The super glue grabbed almost instantly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-03-2012   #138 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

Hey thanks Veronica! That's a great idea! I wound up using masking tape to hold the tricky spots. I did get the passenger door on. It needs to be moved in at the bottom yet ( 1/4 inch) but it looks pretty good so far. I didn't even chip the paint on it...yet. (thanks for putting masking tape around the edges.) My stainless hardware for the doors,front fenders and headlight buckets came to a little over $22.00. I use stainless fasteners where I can. One tip here is to make sure you use anti-seize on the threads. Stainless galls real easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my resurrection-100_1117.jpg  
Unread 12-04-2012   #139 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hi again. Just be sure to excercise caution when using the super glue. Did I ever tell you about the time that I superglued the back of my head to the floor?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-04-2012   #140 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

OMG! That had to uncomfortable as hell! Hair and all? Whoa!
Unread 12-04-2012   #141 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas

Hi again. It was not my finest hour. :nogrinner I was putting a sending unit in the gas tank, and, as is my custom, I was going to put a tiny drop of superglue on the gasket to hold it up there while I put the sending unit in. Somehow I managed to squeeze the tube too hard and the stuff came gushing out and made a little puddle on the floor underneath the gas tank. I thought to myself that I should clean that up before I messed around and glued myself to the floor, chuckled a little at the thought, and went on with what I was doing, and, sure enough, when I started to come out from under the car my head was stuck to the floor. I ended up having to just yank it loose, and also managed to hit my head on the rear axle housing doing that. I lost some hair, but no skin. The worst part was when my husband asked me what happened to my hair, and my inner idiot, Moronica, naively told him the truth. That was several years ago, and to this day it comes up occasionally.
Unread 12-05-2012   #142 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

Wow! Yep, I don't guess you're gonna live that one down for awhile. Years ago I worked for a local hospital and occassionaly witnessed some glued-together body parts. It always looked painful. "Moronica", now that's some funny 'chit there. I think we all have a bout of that at one time or another. Lately, for me, it's the "here after". I go into the next room and say," What am I here after?"
Unread 12-05-2012   #143 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas

Yup, that eternal question of "What am I here for? What is my purpose?"

Sometimes, when I point out something to my husband that he's doing that looks silly to me, he'll say something like "And yet, yours was the head that was glued to the garage floor. Hmm. Go figure."
Unread 12-08-2012   #144 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

LOL! Yep...that's a pretty hefty trump card he has. Funny how those get used against ya at the most inopportune times. Hey, any ideas on what to seal the air extractor boxes with? I thought of that removeable rope caulk. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Unread 01-02-2013   #145 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

Well, the holidays are done and I still have some commercial stuff left to paint this week. Then, I'm back on the ol' girl. Next on the car is to finish painting some of the interior parts and then line up the remaining door and fenders. I recently bought a Bronco fixer-upper. I paid 2K for a 35K mile 1985 basic. The cool part is it's got posi front and rear and 99% rust free. The bad is it runs like crap right now.
Unread 01-31-2013   #146 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

Hello again! I finished the painting of the interior parts yesterday and I received my new thermostat housing today. The temps here got to almost 70 for a couple days leaving me a window of time to finish painting the remainder of the parts. As I reported earlier here, the t-stat housing had a leak. This was due to the fact it was bent and/or poorly machined. After reading my cam card I had to change a couple plug wires to the 351/HO firing order. I'm about ready to finish wiring the MSD box and finish the oil sender hook up. I want to fire this beast up! I'll have some more pics coming soon. Take care
Unread 02-01-2013   #147 (permalink)
StevenCobra8494 is offline Apprentice

StevenCobra8494's Country Flag
Kula   Hawaii
StevenCobra8494 is on a distinguished road

Just found this thread and read my way through all ten pages of progress here. Very inspirational! I'm doing a V8 swap on my '66 convertible right now and seeing stuff like this is definitely a good motivator to get off my ass and do something!
Unread 02-02-2013   #148 (permalink)
geicoman58 is online now PONY Member

geicoman58's Country Flag
annapolis   Maryland
geicoman58 is on a distinguished road

Greetings Mr. Bender, I too just cuaght up reading the last pages of your posts-the car is looking great-i really like think the yellow stripes are gonna make folks wonder if this car is bad a-- or a poser...then they may get to see that boss 302 under the hood and faint !! I got a good laugh with your heineken story- I toured the brewery in amsterdam last year and had the freshest, best ever glass of beer at the end of it. Did you know they also had a ford factory there back in the day, and they actually made mustangs in amsterdam? Not alot, like a 20-100 a month or so, but there are 65 and up netherland vin # built cars running around europe.I have an 8 year old grandson who is dutch and lives in amsterdam-i am discretely turning him into an american muscle car gear head. my plan is to have him get one and restore his own mustang-thanks to guys like you taking the time to make a great thread on how to redo a car we can all be inspired to get it done!
Unread 02-03-2013   #149 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

Hey thanks guys! Geicoman that's a great covert manuever on your grandson! lol Steven, this started out as a thread to show my progress and got carried away I guess. Here's few more pics of what's up lately in some kind of order?. The first shot you can see the graceful curve of the old t-stat housing causing it to leak The next shot is my adaptation to keep both, my idiot light and the mechanical gauge. The third is the new t-stat housing which is by far a better example than the old one. Then I wanted a filter right out of the tank and one after the pump and also there is my new sender for the light. It's fairly cold out today (20 something for a high) so I'm not doing much on it today. We're looking at low 40's this week. That will work a little better. I had to throw in a engine shot...call it a weakness. A couple shots of my repair on the interior panel and the shot of the unrepaired piece ( I bought a new one of those. Don't think you can weld around these. They catch on fire faster than a polyester suit) Well, enjoy the pics and we'll see what happens next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my resurrection-100_1139.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1141.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1142.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1143.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1144.jpg  

Starting my resurrection-100_1145.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1146.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1140.jpg  
Unread 02-23-2013   #150 (permalink)

Classic Member

Pekin   Illinois

Hello again, it's been a busy couple of weeks. I finished another commercial art job, got a raise and new duties at the day job, received my rust free 1976 F250 highboy ( first pick- Frankenstein, second pick the newbie) from Nevada at midnight on a work day, cringed as it rolled off the transport five feet in the air and smashed the underside of the bed one one side ( I can fix it), put some parts up for sale that I'll never use ($$$), finished the fuel lines on the Mustang, got refused twice on my personalized plates (apparently "OLSTUD 1" is offensive), I also finished the thermostat housing and refilled the coolant, aaaaand found my high dollar Fluke meter, butane soldering iron and wire strippers ( not in the same spots). I also got the rear corner of the interior trim pop riveted in ( they came that way) and now I'm two wires ( switched hot and ground) and the headers away from firing this ol' girl up. It's looking like this week it'll happen. It's times like this that I second guess myself," Did I put that in right? What about the timiing? Are those torqued?.." Well, it turns over by the key and nothing bangs around so that's a good deal. Have fun...I am.:smoke:
Attached Thumbnails
Starting my resurrection-100_0266.jpg  Starting my resurrection-100_1151.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172