Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-26-2011   #1 (permalink)
Peto.G is offline Rookie

Peto.G's Country Flag  View Peto.G's 5 photos  View Peto.G's HomePage
Pezinok
Peto.G is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Peto.G Send a message via Skype™ to Peto.G
Default The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???

Hello folks, please may anybody advice me, what´s the truth about the winshield VIN aluminium plate at the 1968 Mustangs? Must it be there or not? I am asking, because I have the ´68 Mustang J-code GT fastback 2+2 (VIN#8T02J10xxxx) without the windshield VIN tag and without any sign it was mounted there at the past.
The door VIN tag shown this car was made 21.august 1967, at the Metuchen, NJ plant. All the rest VIN tags are at theyr places and also match with the title - door VIN plate, passenger side buck plate at the engine space, the viewable VIN marked at the driver´s side inner apron fender.
For example - my ´68 Mustang Coupe GT/CS T-code are missing this windshield VIN tag too...hm.
If somebody know some useful link, some key, some rule about the truth, I will be thankful.
Many thanks. Peter from Slovakia, Europe.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2011   #2 (permalink)
mustangted1963 is offline PONY Member

mustangted1963's Country Flag
Albany   New York
mustangted1963 is on a distinguished road

i blieve it was a federal requirement for the 1968 model year and its the only recongnized vin location.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-26-2011   #3 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

By US Federal law, starting in 1968 every new car registered in the US has been required to have a VIN tag mounted so that it is visible from outside the car so anyone can check to see if its a stolen car. Its sometimes on the steering column, at the base of the windshield, on the A-pillar, but in any of those places the number must be readable from outside the car.
Unread 01-27-2011   #4 (permalink)
Peto.G is offline Rookie

Pezinok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
By US Federal law, starting in 1968 every new car registered in the US has been required to have a VIN tag mounted so that it is visible from outside the car so anyone can check to see if its a stolen car. Its sometimes on the steering column, at the base of the windshield, on the A-pillar, but in any of those places the number must be readable from outside the car.
Hi Ivy66GT, thanks.. I understand. And what about the ´68 Mustang made 21.august 1967 ??...what´s Your guess?
Attached Thumbnails
The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-68-vin.1.jpg  The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-68-vin.3.jpg  
´68 Coupe GT/CS (T-code, M3)
´72 Mach1 H.O. (R-code, M4)
´79 PaceCar (original)
Unread 01-27-2011   #5 (permalink)
andrewmp6 is offline Top Dog

andrewmp6's Country Flag
Louisville   Kentucky
andrewmp6 is on a distinguished road

Depends if it was sold in the usa or was straight exported.If it was exported from the start i doubt it had the tag then.But i have seen cars they replaced the dash pad on years ago and never bothered to put the vin tag back on it.
Unread 01-27-2011   #6 (permalink)
Sick467 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
V6 Member

Sick467's Country Flag  View Sick467's 69 photos
Sedalia   Missouri
Sick467 is on a distinguished road

Just got off the phone with the Motor Vehicle Inspection Division in St. Louis, Missouri (US) and spoke with a man who was more than willing to give his interpretaion for your questions. I found your thread intresting and could not help trying to find an answer. The following sums up our discusion...

FACT - He said that the book for official Public VIN Tag locations indicated that 1968 Fords should have the Tag on the dash near the windshield.

ASSUMPTION - He thinks that the book means for ALL 1968 model cars, not cars manufactured in 1968.

CONCLUSION - Your car should have the tag even though it was made in 67 - it is still a 68 model.

POSSIBLE EXCEPTION - Your car may have been produced specifically for export and since the federal law was a US law - it may not have been required to be there. I'd bet that Ford would put the tag there regardless. Let's face it, it's harder to keep one from going on a car that is on a mass prodution line than just putting one on ALL of them. They already put them on the door and apron, why not finish the job.

The officer did say that the VIN tag could be replaced, but I did not get into the details because you (the owner) and the car are not in the US and that may complicate things for you.

I'd start with your local branch of goverment pertaining to Motor Vehicles, there may be a way to replace the tag through your local office, even if it never had one. Is there evidence that it was there? That's as close as I can get to the truth (in 30 minutes).

Most, if not all, of this has been mentioned by other members, either here or on you other thread with the same question...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-location.html

I have merely confirmed it with a phone call and you still don't have "The Truth".

Sorry, I hope your concerns are more curiosity than neccessity.

"I'll fix it or break it, Guaranteed!"
Unread 01-27-2011   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico

The original VIN requirement was in FMVSS #115 but the various parts of FMVSS took effect on different dates, usually January 1st, but some in 1967, others in 1968, etc. Since #115 has since been moved to a different numbering system, if you look up the current FMVSS all it says for #115 is "Revoked".

The visible VIN requirement, as with others like seat belts and head rests, was likely effective on January 1st and may not have actually been required on the same model year cars built before then. But I think Ford put the visible VIN on all MY 1968 cars for the US market. I remember my wife's new '68 had one of the first windshield VINs as well as shoulder harness but since we sold the car 35 years ago I don't even remember which side of of the windshield the VIN was on. If not originally defined, the location for the VIN was to be visible through the left side glazing, i.e. windshield or I suppose the left side front window would also work(?).

I do believe there was an exception for a car to be exported from the US. In later years the VIN was redefined as an international requirement such that any car from anywhere in the world made today has to have a 17 character VIN visible from the outside.
Unread 01-27-2011   #8 (permalink)
Peto.G is offline Rookie

Pezinok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick467 View Post
Just got off the phone with the Motor Vehicle Inspection Division in St. Louis, Missouri (US) and spoke with a man who was more than willing to give his interpretaion for your questions. I found your thread intresting and could not help trying to find an answer. The following sums up our discusion...

FACT - He said that the book for official Public VIN Tag locations indicated that 1968 Fords should have the Tag on the dash near the windshield.

ASSUMPTION - He thinks that the book means for ALL 1968 model cars, not cars manufactured in 1968.

CONCLUSION - Your car should have the tag even though it was made in 67 - it is still a 68 model.

POSSIBLE EXCEPTION - Your car may have been produced specifically for export and since the federal law was a US law - it may not have been required to be there. I'd bet that Ford would put the tag there regardless. Let's face it, it's harder to keep one from going on a car that is on a mass prodution line than just putting one on ALL of them. They already put them on the door and apron, why not finish the job.

The officer did say that the VIN tag could be replaced, but I did not get into the details because you (the owner) and the car are not in the US and that may complicate things for you.

I'd start with your local branch of goverment pertaining to Motor Vehicles, there may be a way to replace the tag through your local office, even if it never had one. Is there evidence that it was there? That's as close as I can get to the truth (in 30 minutes).

Most, if not all, of this has been mentioned by other members, either here or on you other thread with the same question...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-location.html

I have merely confirmed it with a phone call and you still don't have "The Truth".

Sorry, I hope your concerns are more curiosity than neccessity.
Hi Sick4627,
many thanks for so large reply and Your care. Thanks, I understand all. What I don´t mention before, I have bought this vehicle one year ago from the seller from Florida. They want to clone it to the Eleanor project, but they change theyr mind and put it for sale. I save it and my only one plan is - restore this beauty to it´s original condition from the 1968, as it come from Metuchen plant.
What is curious, it really seems there wasn´t any windshield tag at the history. The original Meadowlark yellow colour is still at the place and it seems nothing metal was changed for the ages. Tomorrow I will shot some detail photos of the area and show it here.
Cheers,
´79 PaceCar (original)
Unread 01-27-2011   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico

This took some looking but I finally found details of what was going on in online copies of Time magazine. The VIN requirement was not in the first 23 proposed rules in December 1966.

Autos: 23 Rules - TIME

Even some of those 23 rules were dropped and the starting date was pushed back from the start of Model Year 1968 to 1/1/1968 after Henry Ford, among others, had called them:

"unreasonable, arbitrary and technically not feasible, and might even force some plants to close down"

Autos: Truce and Progress - TIME

So it would appear that the VIN requirement was not an actual law until 1/1/1969 as I had seen stated elsewhere. I didn't trust the source of the 1969 date but it seems to have been accurate since the VIN requirement was not in the 1968 rules.

Since Ford was 'voluntarily' using the visible VINs in 1968, it is likely that influenced what a DMV or police department would expect to see today. GM was also voluntarily putting VINs on their 1968 cars in anticipation of the requirements to come. But from a federal law standpoint, it would seem that a visible VIN for a '68 was not required. However, if you put the VIN anywhere else on a '68 USA Ford then that would not be an original location. You need to check your location authorities and see what they expect and/or will allow.

Unread 01-28-2011   #10 (permalink)
Sick467 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
V6 Member

Sick467's Country Flag  View Sick467's 69 photos
Sedalia   Missouri
Sick467 is on a distinguished road

Nice work Ivy!

"I'll fix it or break it, Guaranteed!"
Unread 01-29-2011   #11 (permalink)
Jay H 237 is offline GT Member

Classic Member

Jay H 237's Country Flag  View Jay H 237's 16 photos  View Jay H 237's HomePage
Watertown   Connecticut
Jay H 237 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

If you want to get a replacement VIN tag for your car you can try here, Tags Backeast, Trim Tags Backeast, Data Plates, A.G.Backeast. We make tags for AMC, Buick, Cadillac, Camaro, Chevelle, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Corvette, Dodge, DeSoto, Edsel, Ford, Frazer, La Salle, Henry J, Kaiser, Lincoln, Mercury, Mustang, Oldsmobile with proof of ownership.

The VIN tag on 68's was always on the passenger side, there is a slit in the dash pad for it to poke through there. In 69 they moved to the driver's side where they still are today.

(It is also very common for the tag to be hidden on 68's when the dash pad is replaced since people forget to slide it through the dash slit before fully installing the pad. The tag becomes trapped under the dash pad and hidden.

Even worse are the 71-73 Mustangs/Cougars and also Mopar's from that era. The VIN tags are attached to the dash pad itself. If you remove the dash pad for any dash work you've effectivly removed the VIN from the car.)

Trying to find my father's 1973 Mustang Grande he bought brand new. 3F04F126773 last known registration and title was in New Jersey, 1982.
Unread 01-29-2011   #12 (permalink)

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H 237 View Post
The VIN tag on 68's was always on the passenger side, there is a slit in the dash pad for it to poke through there. In 69 they moved to the driver's side where they still are today.
I thought that was true but was not certain. That's another reason to believe the visible VINs were not truly required in '68. Once the requirement did come into effect, it was required that the VIN be on the LEFT, i.e. driver's side of the car for most of us.
Unread 01-30-2011   #13 (permalink)
Peto.G is offline Rookie

Pezinok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy66GT View Post
I thought that was true but was not certain. That's another reason to believe the visible VINs were not truly required in '68. Once the requirement did come into effect, it was required that the VIN be on the LEFT, i.e. driver's side of the car for most of us.
Hello Ivy66GT,
hello for Jay H 237 and Sick467 too...
so guys, I have controled the passenger dash side today and it seems there was not the windshild VIN tag. I have removed the dash pad (this is project car and will install the new one) and make some pictures. After several returns I have found two small holes (at the picture - at each end of the blue lighter), they may rest after the rivets but I guess they are too small for the rivets... What´s Your opinion? (attached picture of my ´68 Coupe GT/CS windshield VIN tag - for equation of the location).
Rivets there are much more bigger than the holes on the GT dash.

I have also some other questions... My ´68 fastback GT have all relevant ´68 GT equipments as is:
1) heavy duty suspension
2) stiffer front and rear springs
3) larger front and rear shock absorbers
4) larger diameter front stabilizer
5) dual chrome exhausts
6) GT pop-open gas cap
7) fender badges
8) fog lights with the interior underdash swithcher
9) AM/FM radio
- The GT "C" side stripes, can´t be verified, not visible at present time, and I dont want to scratch the external colour.

Front drum brakes are the mystery. I have read the ´68 with GT options come with front disc brakes. Is this 100% fact?
I have seen few GT and GT/CS during my US trips with the front drum brakes... is it original or some home made conversion?

Please, it is truth the predication: "All GT Mustangs come with the 9 inch rear end"...??

Thanks for any information.
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-68_dash-1.jpg  The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-68_dash-2.jpg  The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-fog-light-1.jpg  The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-fog-light-2.jpg  The truth about the ´68 Mustang windshield VIN tag..???-tag-68-gt-cs.jpg  

´79 PaceCar (original)
Unread 02-08-2011   #14 (permalink)
thrasher is offline Rookie

thrasher's Country Flag
Litchfield Park   Arizona
thrasher is on a distinguished road

I payed the 15 bucks for a Marti report which might help clear the up some questions on your 68. On my 68, the Marti and VIN # ( C code ) would be the only way to know mine is a GT clone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
1968 vin tag, vin tag

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172