Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-25-2011   #1 (permalink)
meatcutter is offline Rookie

Classic Member

meatcutter's Country Flag
ANDALE   Kansas
meatcutter is on a distinguished road
Default House of Kolor paint problems

I'm having some paint issues. My 69 Mach went through a 2 year frame off. I had it painted with House of Kolors Candy Apple Red with Cedar Red Shimrin base coat. The paint job is almost 2 years old. The problem started under the gas cap with the paint bubbling. I was told it was because the gas was getting between the base coats and the kandy coats. Had that problem fixed. Now I have been rearended and the shop tells me that when they removed the reflective stripe and wiped off the residue with lacquer thinner the paint wrinkled. This shop tells me that House of Kolors paint is crap, and I should go to PPG. Any comments would be appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2011   #2 (permalink)
cindys_sn95 is offline Banned

cindys_sn95's Country Flag  View cindys_sn95's 7 photos
Gulfport   Mississippi
cindys_sn95 is on a distinguished road

almost any paint will wrinkle if wiped with enough thinner, bad idea. 3M makes several products to remove the glue without hurting the paint. P.P.G. is probably the best on the market. that being said, it will be almost impossible to match anyway.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-26-2011   #3 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

Your painter was right. House of color is crap. PPG, dupont, it's all good though sikkens is pretty elite and among the best you can get. It's also some of the most expensive. Though lacquer thinner shouldn't have causes the paint to wrinkle like it did. It would take a lot and a lot of exposure. If the paint wrinkled like that it sounds like it did not cure right on the first place and this is usually caused by something incompatible in the prep work.

Did you use any phosphoric acid on the metal?
Unread 03-26-2011   #4 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

I have never seen a real can of House of Kolor. I only know they sell it cheap compared to DuPont.

The cured clear in the DuPont Chroma Premier BC/CC system is unaffected by gasoline and/or lacquer thinner. Out of curiosity I have tested samples (first off the car but later on the car also) and lacquer thinner does absolutely nothing after hours of direct contact exposure. The BC, however, is essentially a lacquer itself and dissolves nearly instantly on contact with lacquer thinner. No one selling the stuff wants to tell you the BC is a lacquer since 'lacquer' is now an environmentally dirty word.
Unread 03-26-2011   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member

ANDALE   Kansas
Angry

In a further discussion with the repair shop they told me there is a very minimal amout of clear coat on the car. That would explain why a small amount of gasoline and a very small amount of lacquer thinner would cause problems. Since I paid the original shop for 4 coats of each stage in a 3 stage paint job I think my next step is to call a lawyer(and repaint the car).
Unread 03-27-2011   #6 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatcutter View Post
In a further discussion with the repair shop they told me there is a very minimal amout of clear coat on the car. That would explain why a small amount of gasoline and a very small amount of lacquer thinner would cause problems. Since I paid the original shop for 4 coats of each stage in a 3 stage paint job I think my next step is to call a lawyer(and repaint the car).
Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to call the shop first?
Unread 03-27-2011   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

ANDALE   Kansas

Already have. Got a "Not my problem" response, after shelling out 50k for a 2 year full blown restoration.
Unread 03-27-2011   #8 (permalink)
bubbamace is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

bubbamace's Country Flag  View bubbamace's 20 photos
Long Beach   California
bubbamace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatcutter View Post
I have been painting since 1976 and have used all the above mentioned paint labels excluding Sikkens, which I understand is a quality brand. Right now, my 66 Mustang is painted with PPG Viper red with 5 coats of House of Kolor Candy red and HOK Burgandy Candy over that for flames. I laid down 6 coats of HOK Clear Coat. This car was painted in 2004 and I have never had any problems with the paint. Who ever is saying HOK is crap apparently doesn't paint or doesn't know the procedures to lay down Candy paint and clear coat. This being said, PPG is excellant paint, but if you don't lay down enough clear on any Basecoat/Clearcoat paint job, you are going to have the exact same problems. The Clearcoat with an activator is the only protection the basecoat and all the work performed underneath has. Anyway, good luck in your attempt to have it fixed. Paint can be a pain in the ass, especially when mixing brands.
Unread 03-27-2011   #9 (permalink)
rodbender is offline MACH I Member

Classic Member

rodbender's Country Flag  View rodbender's 30 photos
Pekin   Illinois
rodbender is on a distinguished road

Bubbamace said it. I've used them all and had problems with only poor gas cap sealing. Once cured, the clearcoat is pretty durable. I would NEVER wipe any paint job with laquer thinner. It's so hot it'll screw up almost anything. They really goofed on that one.
Unread 03-27-2011   #10 (permalink)
bubbamace is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

bubbamace's Country Flag  View bubbamace's 20 photos
Long Beach   California
bubbamace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys_sn95 View Post
almost any paint will wrinkle if wiped with enough thinner, bad idea. 3M makes several products to remove the glue without hurting the paint. P.P.G. is probably the best on the market. that being said, it will be almost impossible to match anyway.
cindys_sn95 and rodbender hit it right on the head. Almost any paint will react to Lacquer thinner. Its strong stuff. Great for getting over spray off chrome, but why would anyone use that on paint when there are other products that will take adhesive off without damaging the paint? It will be almost impossible to match candy paint. There are a few guys out there that can do it, but they are far and few. In the light, it may not be perfect. It is a bummer someone shells out big bucks and gets treated this way.
Unread 03-27-2011   #11 (permalink)
B.A. is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

B.A.'s Country Flag  View B.A.'s 62 photos
Greensburg   Pennsylvania
B.A. is on a distinguished road

Meatcutter: First: I'm wondering why wouldn't you have the shop that restored the car repair it now?
Sounds to me the shop that used laquer thinner on the residue is saying "HOK is crap" as an excuse to cover up their bone head move.
HOK is far from crap ( if mixed and applied properly).
One of the good points of their clears is you can build up the thickness without any problems (within reason of course) so why there was a lack of mils is a bit puzzling. IF in fact the first shop gave you HOK Klear.
Also what was mentioned about matching a multi stage candy paint job is very true.You gotta have some skills for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172