Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-10-2011   #1 (permalink)
snaranjo is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

snaranjo's Country Flag  View snaranjo's 25 photos  View snaranjo's HomePage
Phoenix   Arizona
snaranjo is on a distinguished road
Default Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?

I am trying to get an idea of what a 65 A-code GT Fastback would be worth nicely restored back to original condition. I have an opportunity to pick one up as a project car with the original 289-4V and a 4-speed top-loader.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2011   #2 (permalink)

Classic Member

Phoenix   Arizona

Bump. Any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-12-2011   #3 (permalink)
Mustangman66 is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

Mustangman66's Country Flag
Branchville   New Jersey
Mustangman66 is on a distinguished road

Hard to say snaranjo, what color and any options? A Code, GT and fastback. I would say $25-30K if numbers matching. It's hard to say, it is worth whatever someone will pay. Fastbacks are rare. Make sure you do your homework with the GT package. There are a lot of little nuances in order to verify that it came from the factory that way. Exhaust, firewall, etc. Veronica has a good page on it I believe. How much is he looking for? What kind of shape is it in?

A new cold-air intake was cause enough for Ford to ask ol’ Carroll himself whether it was okay to move the Cobra badge from the driver’s to the passenger’s side of the grille. His response: “If it makes it go faster, then yes.”
Unread 05-13-2011   #4 (permalink)

Classic Member

Phoenix   Arizona

Was aware of Veronica's blog cite and checked out the link. Lots of little details to check out when I take a look at the car tomorrow. Got of list of things to look for beyond the door plate. It is being advertized as a "rolling chassis" with all original metal except the hood (missing), no rust and matching numbers engine and 4 speed. The guy is pretty trust worthy as I've done business with him before. He is asking $11K which seems very steep to me. But then, my experience is with coupes. Will have to see what is there and what is missing. The car does not run as it is mostly apart and just got media-blasted. That number of 25-30K seems to be in the ballpark of what few I have seen on the web. Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck on your 66 coupe project. Mine was originally an ivy green with ivy gold and white pony interior. Kept it mostly that way but went with an 01 Nissan color very close to ivy green.
Unread 05-13-2011   #5 (permalink)
GGregory is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

GGregory's Country Flag  View GGregory's HomePage
Rochester   New York
GGregory is on a distinguished road

Hi,

There are a few things to think about that many people over look when they ask these kind of questions, "How much will it be worth" "Do you know what these cars are selling for" "These cars are worth $25k when done"

What people over look is how much it will really cost you to get your car completely done. That cost will be more then what you could sell it for and what it's worth. Don't forget to ad in the cost of the car and other expenses too.

I'm restoring a 66 A-code Fastback, 4 speed top loader, candy apple red, posi rear end, styled steel wheels, rally pac and more. All these options came from the factory per my original build sheet. I will spend more then it's worth. But I do not care what it cost and I don't even go there about how much my car will be worth when I'm done.

Point is, I had fun doing it, (like spending money at the movies or on vacation and have nothing but some pictures to show) and I saved a Classic Mustang to have and drive.

Enjoy your car. Hope you get it.

Greg
Unread 05-13-2011   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member

Phoenix   Arizona

That is a great attitude GGregory and certainly the one I had in play when I did my 66 coupe. Owned the car since I was 16 in 1972 and so saving the car and doing (and spending) whatever it took was not given a second thought. And it was near the graveyard when I started! People ask me all the time what I think its worth and I tell them "I doesn't matter since its not for sale and never will be"!

A Fastback of any sort has been a dream ever since I finished the coupe. Would love to have a matching set of first generation classics. Guess what attracked me to this one is the chance it might actually be a true GT A-code 2+2. After having looked at it now I'm not sure. It is definitely an A code (5R09A210843) I has some of the tell-tale signs of a GT, but others are missing. Has the reinforced plating under the back seat for the dual exhaust hangers and the curve in the bottom of the dash to accept the 5-gauge cluster. But, there is no rear valance to check the through exhausts tips, the radiator support has only one hole for the fog lights and it appears drilled rather than punched. No sway bar to check the size, the gear box tag is HCC-AT indicated the 19:1 ratio and not the 16:1 of a GT, drum brakes on the front, but the oversized master cylinder indicating disc fronts. And the worst - no door tag as the driver door is not the original. Very clean with no rush at all (media-blasted) but a few rough spots on the passenger door, left-rear quarter and tail panel. Given all this, not convinced it is a GT, but in the end that doesn't matter all that much to me. Has some, but not all of the interior pieces and found out the motor and tranny are extra.

It would be a big project and I'm still mulling it over. Given the question GT heritage and lack of drive train I still think the 11K asking price is way too high. Will need the weekend to think it over and maybe make a real low bid. Got photos but haven't downloaded them yet. Given my inexperience with FB what do you think its worth based on the description above?
Unread 05-14-2011   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

Rochester   New York

Snarango,

It sounds like this car may or may not be a true GT. I have owned a True 66 GT Coupe. The car was complete when I got it but in sad shape. It was an easy sight to see it was in fact a ture GT.

I know these cars can and have been changed in many ways during the years, I have seen plenty of it. What you mentioned about this car is not good, like the front drum brakes and steering box. However, the good would be the metal support for the exhaust and the correct master cylinder. The door tag shouldn't matter because it will not tell you about what options were on the car, but if you could find the build sheet, that will be the Holy Grail. I found my build sheet wrapped around the main wire harness behind the dash. It was a huge surprise, just like Christmas. My car was made in NJ and they sometimes put them there or under the seat.

My 66 Fastback is not a GT and it came with a lot missing. It didn't matter to me as I know what's missing can be bought. I'm getting ready to paint it soon and that's when I will really see the light and etc. I was not in a hurry and it's been 2.5 years now since I had the car. All that is really left for me to buy is the Red Line tires and Style Steel Wheels along with a few small odds and ends that may cost $200. Not counting my paint supplies which I have not bought yet. I'm still deciding on which paint system to go with.

During the 2.5 years I rebuilt the motor, rear end, welded in new quarters, transsion/trunk pan, floors, full frame rails, have re-done all the interior, (going with the Mustang Sport Seat look), installed a rack and pinon, disk brakes and the T-5 is ready to install with the motor after I paint it first. Plus much much more.

Here's a link to how the car looked the day I picked it up. I paid $2,500 for it.

KODAK Gallery | Photo Merchandise

I do think that $11k for the car your thinking about is very steep, not knowing for sure if it's a true GT or not. I would say $5-$6k would be more like it.

Greg
Unread 05-14-2011   #8 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hello. Based on what you have said, snaranjo, the car is not a GT, but, it did come with pony interior.
Unread 05-14-2011   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

Rochester   New York

Corection on my part.

vin # will not say what came on the car, but a door tag will tell you a lot more. I was thinking of the vin #.

Greg
Unread 05-14-2011   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member

Phoenix   Arizona

GGregory: you sure took on a chunk of work there on your FB!! Think this one I'm looking at starts out a bit better even if its not a true GT. Here are a few pics

Veronica: Another tell-tale sign - no fog light switch. But clearly a pony interior.

I know this is not worth 11K, especially since it includes no drive train. The extra rear quarter is part of the deal since the one on the car is not great. He also tells me he would find seats and most other interior parts and include them. The passenger door would likely need a new skin.

Would 5-6K be reasonable since it seems not to be a GT? What would be the absolute top limit? Like I say, I'm new to FBs.
Attached Thumbnails
Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0001.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0002.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0003.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0005.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0011.jpg  

Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0022.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0024.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0026.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0028.jpg  Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-dsc_0038.jpg  

Unread 05-14-2011   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member

Phoenix   Arizona

To add to the last post, can you think of a reason this car would have the reinforcing plates for the dual exhaust hangers and not be a GT? Could an A-code be factory ordered with dual exhaust without being a GT? Or could the dual exhaust have been added at the dealer as part of the dealer available GT upgrades that were done. In that case it would not be a true factory GT but one after the fact due to dealer add-ons. Could explain this odd bird but not justify a bump in price.
Unread 05-14-2011   #12 (permalink)

Classic Member

Rochester   New York

Snaranjo,

This car is not a GT car. Is the guy trying to sell saying it is?? Also I would question a lot of the primer metal. I bet there's some filler on this car under that primer. There are also a lot of dents to fix. You mentioned no drive train. That there will run you about $4k - $6k. The extra quarter will be a lot of work to use. It's still attached to a part of a car. You will have to remove it and it will not look pretty when it's all done and off.

I would pay $3-$4k for this and that's about all, unless there is a lot more that will go with the car than in the pictures. I don't know how handy you are as you doing all the work needed. Welding and good body work and painting will cost the most. Followed by getting a motor and tranny. The parts needed will add up very quickly. If you have to pay for labor I will say this car will cost you about $40k when completed. If you can do almost all the work then about $25k.

This is still a nice Fastback and is worth restoring, but not at $11k to start.

Greg
Unread 05-15-2011   #13 (permalink)

Classic Member

Phoenix   Arizona

That is not primer but white metal from the bead blast. It is a pretty much what you see is what you get car. The guy is claiming its an A-code GT. The A-code is accurate but clearly the GT is not. Not sure how much that subtracts from the value. I would not do any of the metal work myself so I know that I am looking at significant expense there just to get it in shape for paint. It will include all the seats, door panels and all the rear interior panel stuff. Would farm out the body work and paint but plan to do the drive train, suspension, brakes, etc. myself. Have a 289-2V from my 66 coupe sitting in my garage. Would rebuild that with some performance additions. Would hope to set the budget at around 30K so that means I need to give no more that 4-5K for the shell.

Thanks for the back and forth - much appreciated GGregory, Steve
Unread 05-15-2011   #14 (permalink)
Veronica is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hi again. The reinforcement that you want to check for is what's inside the driver's side rear frame rail. The reinforcement on the floor of that car appears to have been either mig or stick welded in. It's supposed to be spot welds. There shouldn't be any beads of weld on the perimeter. Contrary to what some might tell you, there weren't any 'dealer add-on' GTs. That would be waaaay too much work, including painting the car. Nobody would pay for all of that when they could order a GT for hundreds of dollars less and get a better car. I like that authentic, Corporate Blue, Rotunda dual door latch you have to keep the doors from flipping open.
Unread 05-15-2011   #15 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

I can't see the under rear seat reinforcement well enough to judge its authenticity. Here is a closeup of mine showing the spots welds, etc. That reinforcement as well as the only in the frame rails beside the gas tank only meant dual exhaust. You could have dual exhaust without being a GT.

Even 30 years ago, GTs weren't all that big a deal. If it was one, fine, if not, so what. Its now a much bigger bragging right sort of like the pony interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Value of an A-code 1965 GT Mustang Fastback?-rear-seat-reinforment.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172