Maximum lift ford 289 stock heads? - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012 Thread Starter
Maximum lift ford 289 stock heads?

hey guys just wondering,

whats the maximum cam lift for a ford 289 with stock heads? (i have a A code or K code engine, ill see when i pull the motor out)

ive heard talk saying you cant go .500 over or .490 without changing the push rods and rocker arms. i want to put a cam into my motor but not have to change the rocker arms or get new rods.

also another question, would i have to get aftermarket springs? or can i use the stock ones?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012
you do not pick a cam based on "how much lift can i run". many many varibles. questions need to be asked and answered. and yes, no mater what, you will need springs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012 Thread Starter
yes i know, i just want to know my limit so i can start from there.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012
Cindy is right , you need to ask a lot of question's before hand , are you running an automatic or manual trans, and is this going to be a street /strip car or just a street car, and you are limited some what by using stock head's , some cam's work better with after market head's and intake's ,you need to look at many thing's before choosing a cam, you may put in a cam with huge lift with stock head's and a mis matched carb and intake and the engine will fall flat on it's face, so call the cam help line's and ask question's they will lead you in the right direction.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012
PONY Member
iv used a nastalgia 271 + i beleive its called a few times. sounds pretty aggressive and accepted stock (sized) heads and punshrods. went with roller rockers and stock springs. 10,000 on one of them without problems. may be a little aggressive for you. opens up at 2100 or something like that. has a good performance lope sound to it. check out that line of cams. just something to look at
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012
PONY Member
You may be able to tell a K Code engine from the outside. It has a different harmonic balancer. Pop a valve cover and see if the heads have the valve spring seats machined and screw in studs, although those can be 'faked'. The heads themselves should have two dots over the 289 cast in them. Once you tear it apart, you would see the connecting rod bolt differences. Are the exhaust manifolds still on and original? They are diferent also, but again, easily faked. Dual point diizzy? Again, easily faked, I have one if you want to buy it!
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page