Ford Mustang Forums

Ford Mustang Forums (/forums/)
-   Classic Talk (http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-talk/)
-   -   1966 convertible value (http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-talk/544033-1966-convertible-value.html)

ToTheLimit 08-30-2013 07:12 AM

1966 convertible value
 
I have tried to find a value of my car on Hagretty but my model/serial number does not list price data. Every other model is listed (maybe I have a rare car). It is a 1966 mustang convertible with four barrel carb but, it is not a GT. Does anyone have any insight on this and how I could find more info on this car. The serial number is 6F08A247856. Thanks

koski19 08-30-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheLimit (Post 5033881)
I have tried to find a value of my car on Hagretty but my model/serial number does not list price data. Every other model is listed (maybe I have a rare car). It is a 1966 mustang convertible with four barrel carb but, it is not a GT. Does anyone have any insight on this and how I could find more info on this car. The serial number is 6F08A247856. Thanks

I have no experience with Haggerty. Alot depends on the condition of the car.
Along with the vin number posted would you post the warranty plate info? It's located on the driver's side door.

6 = 1966, F=Dearborn Michigan Assembly Plant, 08=Body Code, Convertible, A=289 4V engine and the last numbers 247856 is the consecutive unit number.

If you'd post photos we can help in giving a ballpark figure. Interior, exterior, engine bay etc.

Jeff

randal 08-30-2013 10:20 AM

And keep in mind that "value" will be different depending upon whether you are trying to determine insurance value or resale value. The latter usually being much lower than the former.

ToTheLimit 08-31-2013 05:13 AM

Thanks guys for the quick response, I just bought the car a few months ago for 23,500.00. I have always wanted a 66 Mustang since I was a kid and just happened apon this one, I did very little research before I bought it. I am very happy with the car but just trying to find out as much information about it as I can. I have never had a classic car and have very little experience/none in older cars. I can not believe how much I enjoy driving this thing, it's like being a kid again. Here is the info from the door warranty label: 6F08A247856, Body 76B, Trim F3, Date 04B, Color X, DSO 62, Axle 1, <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym> 5. It is a burgundy color with beige interior, 4 speed, 289, 4 barrel, electric top, no power steering or brakes. I will post some pics once I figure out how. All information would be very appreciated. Cheers

ToTheLimit 08-31-2013 05:30 AM

1966 Mustang Convertible Photos
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 262569

My attempt to post pics

koski19 08-31-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheLimit (Post 5038913)
Thanks guys for the quick response, I just bought the car a few months ago for 23,500.00. I have always wanted a 66 Mustang since I was a kid and just happened apon this one, I did very little research before I bought it. I am very happy with the car but just trying to find out as much information about it as I can. I have never had a classic car and have very little experience/none in older cars. I can not believe how much I enjoy driving this thing, it's like being a kid again. Here is the info from the door warranty label: 6F08A247856, Body 76B, Trim F3, Date 04B, Color X, DSO 62, Axle 1, <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym></acronym> 5. It is a burgundy color with beige interior, 4 speed, 289, 4 barrel, electric top, no power steering or brakes. I will post some pics once I figure out how. All information would be very appreciated. Cheers

It's great having a first gen Mustang. I've had six Mustangs since I was able to drive.
Let's look at the numbers:
76B = 2 door convertible
F3 = Parchment Vinyl with Burgundy
04B = 4th of February
X= Exterior Color = Maroon Metallic
62 = Houston, Texas
1 = 3:00.1 rear axle
5 = Trans = 4 speed manual


That should do it. Have fun....I'm in the middle of a ground up restoration on a 66 coupe. Hopefully, I'll have it on the street by April 14.

Jeff

koski19 08-31-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheLimit (Post 5038945)
Attachment 262569

My attempt to post pics

Nice looking ride Mr. 66....Based on the picture alone you paid about the going price for a convertible. At the Barrett/Jackson auction here in Reno during Hot August Night a 66 Coupe with a nice paint job, nice interior, good rubber and detailed engine compartment sold for $14,000. It was a 289, 4 speed.

Is your car all original or a restoration? Whatever it is it sure looks nice in the photo.

Jeff

ToTheLimit 08-31-2013 08:18 AM

Thanks Jefff,

I'm not sure if it is a restoration or all original, it certainly has been painted, so maybe this means its a retro? The stereo sucks but I do not see any obvious places for speakers, what are guys doing for speaker locations in convertibles?

Cheers,

Bill

koski19 08-31-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheLimit (Post 5039201)
Thanks Jefff,

I'm not sure if it is a restoration or all original, it certainly has been painted, so maybe this means its a retro? The stereo sucks but I do not see any obvious places for speakers, what are guys doing for speaker locations in convertibles?

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, The speakers were placed in the back trunk lid area there are cutouts to house the speakers. Speakers were also placed in the front kick panels. Take a look at the floor pans from underneath the car, most of these early Mustangs need floor panels installed to remove the rusty ones especially cars from the East and South. Too much road salts in the winter and too much humidity ate away at these floors, rocker panels, fuel tank lip, trunk etc. Take a small pick or screwdriver and tap the panels they should feel solid both in sound and feel. Also, Ford used a date stamp on almost all of the parts and panels used to build the Mustang. The aftermarket manufacturers don't add them to the reproduction pieces.

Jeff

ToTheLimit 08-31-2013 09:00 AM

This might be a really stupid question but does a convertible have a rear trunk lid?

Ivy66GT 08-31-2013 09:15 AM

A trunk lid: yes. A parcel shelf or any place for a speaker: no they do not. Where that would be for a coupe is simply a vinyl trimmed well area where the top is stowed in the down position. Even the rear seat back in a convertible is only about half as thick as the one in a coupe since there isn't any space back there.

The only place for rear speakers in a '66 convertible is in the quarter trim panels at either side of the rear seat and that is a at best marginal. I replaced my rear quarter panels to get rid of the mess made there by the prior owner. Sitting on a speaker isn't the best idea. Where is my speaker? Over the radio where God and Henry Ford intended it to be. :D Who now listens to AM radio any way?

As for your VIN: Its about 40,000 prior to our March coupe so I would guess its a February '66 car.

Driveway 08-31-2013 09:23 AM

Mustang Monthly (Dec 12) has a value chart based on show criteria. Your car as a '66, convt, 289, 4 barrel:

#3 partially restored or an excellent original: $16,800
#2 almost perfect: $20,600

Most cars that are at the high end of pricing, sell for much less than what an owner paid to have all the work done because they paid for so much labor costs. Buyers really only want to pay for the car.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.


vB.Sponsors
Copyright © 2002-2010 All Ford Enthusiasts NetworkTM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164