Ford Mustang Forum banner

'69 mustang /w 289 4 speed

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dansmustang 
#1 ·
Hi Mustang fans,

My brother just got me a '69 mustang with a 289, and 4 speed manual, supposedly all original. For 750 bucks, but it has been sitting in the guy's garage for 20 years, and my brother got it in some business deal. He (my brother), wants me to restore it and sell it after. I don't know yet model specifics, (grande, fastback, etc,) or even what condition it is in, but it supposedly is in good restorable shape.

I'm curious if this car having a 4 speed is fairly a rare find?

We still have to go pick up the car with a trailer and bring it about 75 miles to our home shop. I have to say, I am really excited about getting this vehicle, and my (rich) brother is going to finance the restoration which I will be doing myself. Been painting and banging dents since 1977 on cars and like using acrylic lacquer on old cars.

I recently looked on the web and see that touring seems to be popular as a style of dressing out some of these old muscle cars, but I'm curious about what others here might recommend in restoring a car like this to achieve a high re-sell value. There certainly is a wide range of prices on these older mustangs.

Cheers to all!

See less See more
#4 ·
I believe it would help if it were original drive train but chances are it came from the same donor vehicle the 289 came from which won't make it rare. Unless you consider the fact you may have one of the only 69 mustangs with a 289!

#5 ·
The following is my $0.02
There is a whole conundrum regarding the change over from the 289 to the 302 which started in late 67. That being said, there were no 69's that were produced from the factory with a 289. In your case, you are either mistaken in identifying the engine as a 289 and its really a common 302 from the factory or, it is in fact actually a 289 transplanted from an earlier model year. (many 69 models were produced with the 302)

The date code stamped on the block and the vehicle VIN number would give some clearer indication.

But don't read to much into the "matching numbers" thing. Unless it was a rare optioned car or some unique model, "matching numbers" does not necessarily add much value. The fact that its a 4-speed, is more desirable than if it were a 3-speed so its value increases slightly.

I suggest you make it what ever you want it to be and leave it at that. Without more detail such as the VIN number, photo detail and cast numbers so that we can identify the motor as well as the transmission. Its only a guess. Posting the VIN would at least allow us to determine the body type, motor, transmission, rear end, etc. and we could give you a little more insight on its potential value

Who knows, for all we know, you could have a 1969 BOSS 302 which is highly valued and well worth being restored to its original condition.

Attachments

#6 ·
Just be aware that many here do not like flippers. The love of money is not the same as what we have for our cars.

Unless you have really latched on to a rare and sought after car, you most likely will not make much on this after you install (or rebuild) the following items:
-- steering column
-- front disc power brakes
-- a better engine than the 289 (or 302)
-- AC
-- digital instrument panel
-- entire new fuel system, to include the tank
-- all the suspension bushings and maybe the rear springs
-- wheels and tires

I would not do some restomod thing with wild colors and additions like you see on some of the TV shows and then they don't sell at the auction for big bucks like they expected.

#7 ·
My brother got it wrong. The year is a 67 coupe 289 4speed He just paid 750 for it, I don't even know what it looks like or current condition yet..
I just got my computer back and couldn't post since. Was using a loaner....
Thanks for all the earlier replies.
Not really sure yet what this project is going to be as far as restoring. I would like to keep it and make it something worth having as far as looks, feel, and such..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.