Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Talk General Discussions

General discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustangs. Discuss all non-technical topics related Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-20-2007   #1 (permalink)
J DUB is offline Rookie

J DUB's Country Flag
Honolulu   Hawaii
J DUB is on a distinguished road
Default 1965 mustang what is it worth?

Hello, I'm 99% sure i am going to buy a 1965 mustang, 289, 4 barrel, made in san jose california, and i can buy it for $13,000. I'm a novice, but car appears to be in excellent condition, runs great and no rust. Cowl area has minor paint peeling in the center. However, car is in need of new suspension and drivers door lock doesn't work. Guy said he bought it for $15,000 on e-bay. He is in a bind and has to sell it fast. Can i go wrong for $13,000?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007   #2 (permalink)
Veronica is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Veronica's Country Flag  View Veronica's 30 photos  View Veronica's HomePage
Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hello. Welcome. It is very difficult to accurately appraise a car that you can't see, but a little more information would help. First, is it a coupe, a convertible or a fastback. If it's a coupe, 13K is probably a bit high. The fifth digit of the vin tell you what motor/carb the car came with originally. To be an original 4 bbl car, the fifth digit of the vin would have to be either a 'D', an 'A' or a 'K'. The options on the car, like A/C or power steering, are a factor. Standard or deluxe interior? The more you can tell us, the closer we would be able to dial it in. Hope that helps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-20-2007   #3 (permalink)
J DUB is offline Rookie

J DUB's Country Flag
Honolulu   Hawaii

The vin is 5R07A203148. It is a coupe, and as far as the interior goes it looks perfect. I might can find something cheaper on e-bay, but at least I know what i am getting for the $13,000, you know test drive and get to hear it run. I'm a novice, but to me the car looks awesome.

no AC, but does have power steering and brakes
Unread 09-20-2007   #4 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

Ok, if I'm reading the decoder right, if it's all original, it's a 1965 289 4 barrel coupe. 225 hp, hydraulic lifters, and the original color is Ivy Green. The acceptable value of the car if in "fine" condition, which means it's well restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original parts. Also, an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing minimal wear. The value for this would be $17150. If in "very good" condition, that means a complete operable original or an older restoration, an amateur restoration, and everything is presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus a combination of well done restoration and good operable components or a partially restored with all parts necessary to complete and/or valuable NOS parts. This value would be $9800.
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 09-20-2007   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas
Veronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura aboutVeronica has a spectacular aura about

Hi again. Yup, that's a 289 4bbl. There's is no way to know the original color by the vin. That would be on the door tag. A lot would depend on what your intentions for the car are. If you are looking for a really nice car that would be fun to drive, and this car fits that particular bill, then I would say go for it. There's a lot to be said for getting to actually drive a car before you buy it. If you intend to buy it, sit on it for a little while and then sell it, you'll just be the next guy to lose money on the car.
Unread 09-20-2007   #6 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

Ok, so I read the thing wrong... I just noticed about the other panel that would have the color code and a few others too.
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 09-21-2007   #7 (permalink)
J DUB is offline Rookie

J DUB's Country Flag
Honolulu   Hawaii

You guys rock, thanks for information. One cool factor to add, I would be the only one on the island with a car like it.
Unread 09-21-2007   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas

Hi again. One thing that you might not have considered is that older carbureted cars do not automatically compensate for altitude change the way a newer car does. The 65 mustangs don't have a computer, EFI or any of that stuff. Obviously, I would have no way of knowing how your day to day life goes, but I can easily envision circumstances that would have you changimg altitudes by more than a few thousand feet on a regular basis. If you generally stay around a few hundred feet above sea level, but go to more than 5000 feet above sea level several times a week, you would want to have your carb set up to run at something in the 2500 ft range so that it would be running about right all through the altitude range you run around in. It isn't a big deal, but it should be addressed. Enjoy your new car if you get it.
Unread 09-24-2007   #9 (permalink)
wally05 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

wally05's Country Flag  View wally05's 151 photos  View wally05's 2 classified ads  View wally05's HomePage
Pierceton   Indiana
wally05 is on a distinguished road

I was actually thinking the same thing. Just make sure you get that carb set up right before you go driving it up and down elevations.
Unread 09-26-2007   #10 (permalink)
5.0 in a 66 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

5.0 in a 66's Country Flag
Parkersburg   West Virginia
5.0 in a 66 is on a distinguished road

I'd pass. 13K for a stock coupe, it had better be PERFECT! Since he's in a bind, try to get it cheap, so you can afford to drop 1k on the suspension. 13k seems like borederline to a screwing for it as it sits IMO.
Unread 09-26-2007   #11 (permalink)
wally05 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

wally05's Country Flag  View wally05's 151 photos  View wally05's 2 classified ads  View wally05's HomePage
Pierceton   Indiana
wally05 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, for an A-code, it is a tad high. Work him down as low as he'll go.
Unread 05-21-2010   #12 (permalink)
stunts is offline Rookie

stunts's Country Flag
West Coast   California
stunts is on a distinguished road

It was very nice to find this thread via GOOGLE. So now I had to join to find out the same information. I am 5 minutes new to this forum and already asking questions, sorry.
But it is very hard to determine actual worth on my end too. I have been storing a friends 65 coupe that he wants to sell to me, and my wife and I want it, but how much is it worth?
Where to post pictures and what information would you all like... I hope I can navigate back to this thread
My name is Tim and hello to everyone..
Unread 05-21-2010   #13 (permalink)
derfiticulum is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

derfiticulum's Country Flag  View derfiticulum's 39 photos
Lincoln   Nebraska
derfiticulum is on a distinguished road

stunts,

Welcome to the site. There are a ton of people here that will gladly and knowledgeably answer virtually any question you can ask.

Having said that if I were you I would probably start a new thread introducing yourself. Post some pictures of your car and ask some questions. That's how I got started and the people here have been extremely helpful and friendly.
Unread 05-23-2010   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member

Houston   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts View Post
It was very nice to find this thread via GOOGLE. So now I had to join to find out the same information. I am 5 minutes new to this forum and already asking questions, sorry.
But it is very hard to determine actual worth on my end too. I have been storing a friends 65 coupe that he wants to sell to me, and my wife and I want it, but how much is it worth?
Where to post pictures and what information would you all like... I hope I can navigate back to this thread
My name is Tim and hello to everyone..
Hello.
There are a lot of variables in that. Since you are restoring it, you probably have a pretty good idea of the condition that the car is in. The fifth digit of the VIN is important. That tells you what motor/carb the car came with originally.

To post pictures, you hit the Reply button, then scroll down the page a little bit and you will see a button that says Manage Attachments. Just click that and it will be self-explanatory from there. And asking and answering questions is what we all do here. No need to apologize.
Unread 05-24-2010   #15 (permalink)
Avidflyer is offline Apprentice

Avidflyer's Country Flag
Fairfield   California
Avidflyer is on a distinguished road

Jump on Ebay and Craigslist and see what cars similiar to yours are going for. The area your in will drive the cost somewhat too. I looked on both those sites everyday for 3 months straight looking for the right car. Lots of people think their cars are worth a lot more than they really are because they didn't research the market. I just bought a Coupe with a fresh 302, fresh paint, all new front end, brand new tires, mint interior, disc brake conversion for $7500. No way I'd pay 13K for a stock coupe unless it's undergone a ground up resto and is the cleanest car you've ever seen. Covertibles and Fastbacks..now that's another story!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162