Ford Mustang Forum banner

My saddest day

713 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SoCal2V 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 mustang. My grandfather say it today and told me basically the saddest story I have ever heard.
When he was younger his father purchased an 1966 aniversary gold mustang. It was the "talk" of the town. My great grandfather loved the car but to him was just another car. He would spit his chewing tobacco on the floor and sometimes spit on the window thinking it was down. This car was 1 of 50 made. My grandmother got angry and demanded Frank went and bought a car more practical. So in 1969 he went to the Ford shop. Hansen ford at the time. Traded the car for a 1970 STATION WAGON. puke green to boot.
My grandfather heard of the sale and drove straight to the dealer. Car was gone. Never to be seen again. It brought a tear to his eye. I saw him look into my mustang like he was looking into a time machine. If only it was gold he left me with. His coye smile.
I researched a little and it is rumored only 5 remain. If anyone has any info on a 66 gold mustanf from ND I'd love to hear what happened to this lost gem.

#2 ·
If you had any copies of paperwork associated with the car - registration, sales info etc, even an old photo of the car showing a license plate number, you might have a slim chance at tracking it down.

Anything else; you might find a '66 matching your grandfather's description but you would really have no way of knowing if it were the actual car or not. And chances are, probably not. Just like your great granfather, these cars were "just another car" to everyone else as well.

#3 ·
I have my grandpa looking to see if he has pics. He seems to remember one of him in it. In a "dangerous white tee shirt" lol
If I find pics I will post just to add to the post.
I did a little more digging and found out only 50 were done in a anniversary gold. A couple were destroyed in movies (all mustangs in movies)
Ultimately just being able to see if I could find it and allow my Grandpa tp see it would be a dream come true.

#4 ·
Could go either way. You find it, it's had a meticulous restoration and is somebody's pride n' joy. Or you find it and it's been sitting out in a field somewhere since it died back in 1981, stripped down to nothing and a huge tree growing out of the engine compartment.

Good luck with your search dude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.