1965 Wheels/Tires - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

Garage
1965 Wheels/Tires

Has anyone moved up from 14" to 15" tires on a 1965 Coupe? wondering if there is issues as rubbing, or bad fit. Let me know if it can be done and what I need to look out for (tire size/ width) or if I should just stick with 14". Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016
Rookie

I'm running 16" Torque Thrusts in BFGs. Don't recall the tire size from memory but I'll post up when I'm next to the car. I have minimal rubbing in the rear but only on big dips when I have someone in the back seat.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I'm running 15x7 wheels in back and 15x6 in front with 225/60s and 205/60s respectively. Fit perfectly.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

Garage
Thanks for the input it looked like the 15's would fit
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016
PONY Member

It all will depend on the wheels you choose together with the tire size. As an example, when I bought my car it had 15" AR Torque Thrust wheels on 226/60 15" tires. I was having rubbing issues on the back, despite having the original cars height. turned out the 15" wheels were not the correct offset for my car.

I changed them for a combo of 15x7" front and 15 x 8" rear Torque Thrust II wheels BUT with the correct offset for my car, with 215/60 15" BFG tires. They now fit correctly inside the wheel wells, I have no rubbing issues.

If you want to run "trouble free" wheel / tire combos I seriously recommend you research well before jumping and buying the wheels.

As a general rule, 15x 6 and 15 x7 should fit with no rubbing issues (with a 4" wheel backspace) with 215/60 tires or lower.

Also consider if your car is lowered of course...

This how the car currently looks (Im planning a 1" drop since I now have some space)

These are wheels and tires before mounting. I like having tall tires on this car to keep its vintage look, but you can install lower profile tires as well, Ive seen 225/50 15" tires on lowered cars and they look awesome.

2015 50 Anniversary Package GT
2014 Race Red Premium GT Convertible
2003 Silver GT
1981 Ford Mustang Fastback
1966 Mustang Coupe 289 4V
15 years ago 1984 Ford Mustang Hardtop

Last edited by konabluev6; 06-17-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: add a picture...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016
PONY Member

I used ford 15" steel wheels, I think they are 15"x6.5" . I put a set of Avon CR6ZZ racing tires on them, DOT approved for street use. unbelievable traction, they should be for $350 each.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

Last edited by zray; 07-20-2016 at 11:57 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016
Rookie

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

Garage
Thanks car looks great, thank you for all the input, Konabluev6 that's about the look I want, "Old school Cragar SS 5 spoke Rim", or maybe American Racing Torq Thrust II, not sure.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016
PONY Member
Classic Member

I have 225/60/15 7 inch wide up front and 235/60/15 8 inch wide wheel in the rear. We had rub issues before putting new leaf springs in the rear that were sagging really bad. Afterwards no problems at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468206096352.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	527666  
PONY Member

Just put on my new rims and rubber yesterday, 215(6")/225(7") 15" all around and what a difference! Everything went smoothly on the rear but on the front i had to replace the wheels studs with longer ones. I have pads in the front with half and inch spacers and the original studs were far to short for the new rims nothing Napa couldnt solve. I should also mention there was a bit of rubbing towards the bottom front of the fenders but i fixed that issue pretty quick with pliers just bent the inside fender lip and problem solved so no rolling of fenders like i feared at first..

Jose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_143432 (4).jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	874.1 KB
ID:	527810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_143447 (1).jpg
Views:	390
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	527818  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie
5.0L Member

Garage
Leaf Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Scibo View Post
I have 225/60/15 7 inch wide up front and 235/60/15 8 inch wide wheel in the rear. We had rub issues before putting new leaf springs in the rear that were sagging really bad. Afterwards no problems at all.
I just ordered New leaf springs I have basically the same set up as you (225 front 235 back), mine looks like it sags and is springy when I push down on the rear deck, going from a 4 leaf to a 5 leaf spring. Hoping the new springs will stiffen and bring the height back up to stock. If there are people in your back seat still no rub? I like your car.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherRuki View Post
Just put on my new rims and rubber yesterday, 215(6")/225(7") 15" all around and what a difference! Everything went smoothly on the rear but on the front i had to replace the wheels studs with longer ones. I have pads in the front with half and inch spacers and the original studs were far to short for the new rims nothing Napa couldnt solve. I should also mention there was a bit of rubbing towards the bottom front of the fenders but i fixed that issue pretty quick with pliers just bent the inside fender lip and problem solved so no rolling of fenders like i feared at first..

Jose
Looks great. What is the backspacing on those wheels?
PONY Member

just a friendly FYI, wheel spacers and longer studs and NOT as safe as using wheel adapters w/ their dual stud arrangement. If your car is a cruiser that is driven sedately, then it might not matter. But I would certainly keep an eye on your wheels and avoid ANY spirited driving.

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wft4429 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherRuki View Post

Jose
Looks great. What is the backspacing on those wheels?
I'll get back to you tonite on the measurement. BTW i loved the rims the first time i saw them and 2 years later im still in love with them. I got a good deal on Ebay for the whole kit.

J

1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine) Weiand Stealth,mild roller camshaft, intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1(450 HP), 3.80 gears, MG Trac Lok LSD, 15" shoes
1970 Mustang fastback BOSS 302 tribute in the works..
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
just a friendly FYI, wheel spacers and longer studs and NOT as safe as using wheel adapters w/ their dual stud arrangement. If your car is a cruiser that is driven sedately, then it might not matter. But I would certainly keep an eye on your wheels and avoid ANY spirited driving.

Thats an update ive been meaning to do for over a year now but replacing engine set me back in a bunch of things i wanted to finish. I was never too happy with the longer bolts but these have impressed me so far.. But ill get me a set of adapters soon. Thanks for reminding me sir!

J

1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine) Weiand Stealth,mild roller camshaft, intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1(450 HP), 3.80 gears, MG Trac Lok LSD, 15" shoes
1970 Mustang fastback BOSS 302 tribute in the works..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page