Ford Mustang Forum banner

Firing Order

949 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Wade D 
#1 ·
I have a 65 with a 289, and I'm having a problem with it running. I think the cam was changed and I had it running with the order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, but it would die after it warmed up. I changed the coil, and am having trouble getting it started again. There is no timing pointer, so i cannot use a light to check the timing. I looked at a diagram for the Edelbrock manifold, and it shows the #1 wire on the distributor cap should be at about 8 oclock, but I have mine about 2 oclock where I got TDC. I also have a newly rebuilt carb, and new fuel pump installed. Any help would be appreciated.

#13 ·
#8 ·
A little disjointed this morning since the AFM system seems to crash occasionally? It has done so every time I have pushed 'Save' today.

Sounds like a carb adjustment issue. Is it an original-type Autolite? Both the idle mixture screws and the automatic choke need to adjusted after its on your engine. Either one could cause it to die after 10 minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.