Ford Mustang Forum banner

Anyone using one piece headliner? TMI? MTF?

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  slotmandave 
#1 ·
Im looking at a one piece headliner such as the TMI offering, or the one from Mustangs to Fear, for my 68 coupe. Has anyone used either one? The MTF one is a bit more expensive, but from the pictures I have seen, looks pretty nice. The TMI one is cheaper, and has free shipping (cj pony) making it even more of a bargain, comparatively. I did however read a couple of reviews about the TMI that complain about seperation of the material from the fiberglass. The MTF one doesn't have that problem as it is ABS and not wrapped.
Any firsthand experience or seen it in person? Thanks!

#2 ·
I have used the TMI one piece molded headliner on my 1965 and 1966 coupes. Fairly easy installation. A couple of hours each. No problem with separation or fit. They look great and I appreciate the extra inch or two of headroom they provide compared to the original headliner. If you are going to reuse the coat hooks in the back make sure you mark the installation holes. I would also suggest replacing the windlass around the bottom of the headliner at the same time. It looks better and makes the job a bit easier. Good luck
Jay

#3 ·
I appreciate the response. Is there any chance you have a picture or two? I would love to see the installed product.

#4 ·
MTF headliner

I just ran across your post on the headliner and thought I would post a couple customer videos about the headliners. If you look at the back of the coupe headliner it has an offset so when you put the sail panels on they are both completely flush. This makes the appearance really nice. Please feel free to call us with any questions.

#5 ·
I just ran across your post on the headliner and thought I would post a couple customer videos about the headliners. If you look at the back of the coupe headliner it has an offset so when you put the sail panels on they are both completely flush. This makes the appearance really nice. Please feel free to call us with any questions.
I appreciate the response and links. I have been doing a fair amount of reading about your products, and I also spoke with one of your service folks on the phone. (Great customer service, by the way! I cant remember the gal's name I spoke with, but she was very knowledgeable and friendly.) After reading the pros and cons of both, and having a quality experience contacting your shop, I do believe Ill be ordering the MTF headliner.
Side note- I know that may sound a bit like a plug for MTF, but I have never purchased anything from them to date, (that I can remember) and have absolutely no affiliation. Just honest experience about their customer service, and I cant seem to find bad reviews about their headliners.

#6 ·
I don't recommend the TMI one-piece headliner

I no longer had the headliner rods for my '65 fastback so was really hopeful to hear about this one piece headliner. The youtube video (TMI headliner vs. MTF headliner) in an earlier response is pretty accurate re: the TMI product. At first look, the headliner itself looks good. It is vinyl material glued to fiberglass, but everywhere but the edges it seems like quality design.

The main install of getting the headliner up and in place wasn't too bad, and the fact you didn't have to take the front + back windows was great. The main problem is finishing up with the windlace. Because the edges aren't glued down all the way, the vinyl bunches up in some parts when you put the windlace in. The headliner ended up getting damaged near these edges, that unfortunately the windlace couldnt cover up.

The other issue is the A Pillars covers. These are so thick, that they can't get pinched down with the windlace.

I first attempted to install this myself and ended up taking it to a Mustang shop to also do some other work, they didn't have any better luck.

I'm keeping an eye out on ebay for anyone selling '65 fb rods to just get them done correctly. Otherwise, may look into the MTF headliner.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.