Ford Mustang Forum banner

67 mustang timing with 351w

834 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Grimbrand 
#1 ·
Hello to all,
Have a question about the proper timing.Have a performance cam (not sure what type) stock says 10 BTDC. I feel it should be advanced more but how much is the ? I have heard the pinging theory although was looking for another solution if possible.

thx Gary

#2 ·
You really need to know the specs for the cam before you can go guessing about this. Your camshaft is the 'brain' for your entire motor, telling exactly when to inhale and exhale, setting the tone for cylinder pressures, and basically every important thing your motor does!

If you run it advanced beyond the recommended setting, it will increase low end torque and power, but decrease top end performance. Beyond a certain point, it will just make your engine run like crap. You might even introduce your valves to the pistons, and I guarantee your engine won't like that. Neither will your wallet. If you run it retarded, you may have a better top end charge, but your car could be a dog off the line, and lack throttle response.

At the least, you should probably try to figure out what the basic specs on the cam are. Here's an article I found that breaks it down pretty simply, and may help clarify!

Camshaft Timing Tips

You should also know that not all cam sprockets are 'adjustable'. If yours just has one keyway, definitely just line up the marks, because moving the cam over 'one tooth' on the sprockets is going to set up your timing events way past anything beneficial (one way or the other). One tooth at the crank is about 15 degrees. One on the cam is half that. You can see why you can't make subtle adjustments to your timing that way.

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
There are so many variables that affect ignition timing, I always go with the "advance it until it pings and knock it back a little" method. Even if you factor in every aspect of the engine, it still doesn't take into account the quality and octane of the fuel you use. Any other method will not allow you to run the absolute maximum amount of advance which is what you want to have on a street engine for best fuel economy.

#4 ·
Maybe at 6 AM I was a bit dense here, but did you mean ignition or cam timing? If you did mean ignition timing, I have to agree with mhuggler. You can get a good starting point by using a timing light and setting it where it 'should be', but driving and tuning it is the best method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.