289 engine upgrade advice sought - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008 Thread Starter
Classic Member
289 engine upgrade advice sought

I am upgrading 289 , 2v auto. I have hedman headers, comp 270 cam(?), badger cast pistons, edelbrock intake, edelbrock 600 cfm carb. Basically a budget upgrade to 300 hp.
Do I need to upgrade the crank mains? stock, solid or hydraulic lifters?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008
5.0L Member
As for the question about mains, not for just 300h.p. and as to the lifters best lifters for your engine would be the ones in a cam and lifter kit. So if you have the cam call comp and ask for the lifters to go with it. If you don't have the cam yet then order the cam and lifter kit.
just my 2 cents bro
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008
MACH I Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
Valve springs are also something to consider and are also available in cam kits. The springs that match the camshaft is something important to consider.

For a street car, use hydraulic lifters, again to match the camshaft and a new set of pushrods, they don't cost much. There has been a lot of talk in the magazines about the quality of the hydraulic lifters on the market. There are several brands (not name brands) that are made offshore and have poor machining and the metal quality is questionable. Buy some good ones to avoid problems.

The bottom end should be OK if there isn't too much wear on the bearings. If changing the bearings then that is about all you need to do. The crank and rods will handle the HP you're shooting for, but if you are completely tearing the engine down, I'd replace the connecting rod bolts with some ARP bolts. This goes for the main cap bolts and head bolts too. If you can't afford all of the bolts, concentrate on getting the rod bolts, they take the most punishment.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008
Made Member
A cheeper way is to get a crate motor from Ford Racing, and you get a warrenty. A cam , Carb and intake is not going to get you 300hp in a stock 289/2bbl.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008 Thread Starter
Classic Member
Thanks, I want to stay with my original 289 with 88,000 original miles. MustangNazi, Im upgrading the pistons, cam, lifters, intake, carb, headers, crank polish,grind and hone etc.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008
like greek said,rod bolts,and have rods resized!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008
5.0L Member
Is the cam new? If not get a new cam with matching springs, lifters, retainers, and locks. Just a note, with stock 289 heads, you will not make 300 hp. Likely around 250 to 260 tops.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008 Thread Starter
Classic Member
Im budling my 289 to the specs in this article. It says 300 hp is possible.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008
I'm interested in the above post is it a good setup to do
PONY Member
Classic Member
It sounds like a good combo, only two drawbacks for a daily driver...the high compression forcing you to use premium fuel$$$$$ and the solid lifter camshaft that will require periodic lash adjustments.

1965 Mustang 351W 4bl AT(Older brothers-I built it)
1965 Mustang 289 4bl AT(Mom's joy-I fix/upgrade it!)
1966 F100 428FE 4bl 4sp and 3sp MT
MACH I Member
S197 Member
I'd agree with Mustang Nazi in just getting a new roller block to reach your goal of 300 HP. If you have ever had an engine with solid lifters as a DD you would know how often then need attention. Would also allow the use of lower cost fuel. Depending on the year of the 351 heads, then you don't gain you anything at all. Like Greek says, replace rod bolts by all means what ever, very cheap insurance.

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page