Ford Mustang Forum banner

Warped tank

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
Just my luck! i see myself replacing the gas tank also. I was wiring the rear lights and as soon as i pulled the trunk mat i see the warpage. Not sure when it happened or how it happened but it seems to me i must have dented it in that right corner and up it went. I probably found the reason why my fuel gauge reading got even more screwed up lol

J

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
May this is the case of the infamous jack-attack? I did have this happen to me, using wood blocks on floor jack to get more height under the diff. Just didn't get it set right, wheels of the jack stuck, came down landed on the jack. Lesson learned, old tank rusted, rotted anyway, but still not what I wanted to happen.....

#4 ·
I don't remember the car coming down hard off jacks at any point in time. Last major differential work i did was last year and it went better than i expected. I must've backed into something i didn't see, something pretty raised up and hit it hard in that corner.. Thanks Dicer this is good to know too.

J

#3 ·
Jack attack ! I like that phrase. I've seen several cars that the owner tried to jack up in front using the stock engine crossmember. Only the light wasn't so good and the jack got put under the steering linkage by mistake . By the time the mistake was figured out, the center link looked like this: " ~ ".

Z

PS. OP, count your blessings that you didn't have a big gas leak there !

#5 ·

PS. OP, count your blessings that you didn't have a big gas leak there !

Fairly new tank ill say little over 5 years old. Very puzzling discovery when i didn't see it happened..

J

#6 ·
I went on to pull the gas tank out and it got even more interesting. the major hit wasn't on that corner but on the neck of the sending unit. It pinned down the neck against the tank. Half the neck got flattened when it got hit, i'm amazed there was still gas flowing to my line . I know the reading you get out of these sending units are not the most accurate but damn it sure can take a hit!

J

Attachments

#7 ·
That is a pretty good smack, glad there was not any more damage then the tank. I cannot remember where and how much I paid for the tank, I wish now I had spent the little extra to get the tank with the drain plug. I do remember this company selling the upper shell of the tank to bolt on top of the existing tank for added strength and protection. It looked pretty good, basically upper part of the gas tank half not seamed welded together.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.