Ford Mustang Forum banner

64 steering box and markings

882 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tony 64 
#1 ·
Here is one for the gurus.......

After rebuilding a 66 quick ratio box and installing it in my 64, today I thought I'd start dismantling and cleaning the original one that came out.

When I started stripping the body I noticed that the bearing adjuster lock nut on the worm shaft is different to that of a 66 box, is this normal seeing that there is nearly 3 years difference between the 2 steering boxes?
Also, no FOMOCO stamp on the top plate.

I started to notice paint markings on the casing and top plate for the sector shaft as I started to clean it up.

There is a prominent yellow marking on the cast finish that runs from just under the grease cap as it drips to the underside of the casing.
There is also a grey paint dab (by brush) on the grease cap and all 3 top plate retaining nuts adjuster lock nut and tag.
Where these markings used by Ford after assembly?

There is also a lot of white overspray on the box,I'm guessing this must have been there from when the car was painted (Wimbledon White).
I have attached pictures for you to look at.
Pic 1, retaining nut 64.
Pic 2, retaining nut 66.
Pic 3 & 4, yellow paint marking.
Pic 5, grey paint marking on grease cap.
Pic 6, Just visible, grey paint markings on top plate, nuts and sector shaft lock nut.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never seen such paint markings on either of our '66 boxes. One of them I got late in its life (1982) but the other one I know to be factory original. I am pretty sure there was no steering gear of any kind in the car when the bodies were painted at the factory.

#5 ·
Exactly what I was thinking too Ivy, just thought I would re create the markings if they were from factory.

This time I think I will sandblast the casing and then clear coat it to retain the cast look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.