6x9 speakers in rear deck - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

There are several option of rear package tray available with pods for speakers and optional 3rd brake light that will not require cutting the metal. As the pods are raised and tilted forwards you also get better sound than the flat mounted speakers

Beechkid likes this.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues66 View Post
Newbie here, but plenty of audio background (former Dolby engineer, sound company owner, etc).

Someone hacked up the package shelf on my '66 coupe to shove some 6x9s in but they didn't really fit. The hole is closer to a 5x7.
What I did was make a piece of plywood that fit under the package shelf inside the trunk. Screwing speakers to wood is always better than to sheet metal. Lined up the holes with the openings to either side of the factory 6x9 opening. Bolted the plywood through the rear deck sheet metal. I cleaned up the holes in the cardboard package shelf and covered the entire piece with black cloth. Found some nubby textured flat black cloth at the yardage store. If you want to know if it's suitable for grillecloth, blow though it. If you can feel the air on your hand going though the cloth, it will work fine.
Other than the shelf being covered with somewhat stretchy cloth instead of carpet, it's totally stealth. I put some proper speaker grillecloth over the opening at the plywood level just to protect the speaker from anything puncturing the cosmetic cloth on top, and add a bit more UV protection for the cones. It's not a daily but the sun beats up read deck speakers.
If I ever want to get silly, I can put an 8" sub under the 6x9 opening. For right now, the Polk 5x7s are adequate for listening to music in a noisy car. Together with the Classic Stereo twin 3" speakers in the dash, I still have to figure a way to stealth a couple tweeters at the A pillars to add some stereo image width.
You own a company that makes sounds? Don't all companies make at least some sounds?

Rookie

Ha Ha. Live sound production. Do municipal music in the park events and the like. Lots of humping heavy gear around and hours of putting stuff away at the end. Actually trying to sell stuff off and get out of it.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

They came out nice. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page