6x9 speakers in rear deck - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

6x9 speakers in rear deck

I’m installing 6x9s in my ‘65. The rear deck metal has cuts outs for one center 6x9 and some other sizes on the sides of that. I want to install two speakers. I’m sure someone has done this before. Any tips?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E032A0EE-6631-4A88-B7DC-01B0D2682600_1553172150122.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	608833   Click image for larger version

Name:	8E9BFAD0-BAA4-4A95-9570-096909BECD89_1553172198649.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	608835  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Only the center hole was intended for a speaker. The ones on the side are just cutouts to reduce the amount of metal used. Stereo for a car radio was so new in 1965 that hardly anyone even thought about it. Many cars, like our '66 GT convertible were ordred without a radio at all. Multiple speakers in a car were usually done by an owner, not the car factory especially for mass market cars like a Ford. Where I lived there weren't any FM stations then which were the first ones with stereo.

Beechkid likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019
Rookie

That's why every body was rocking pioneer surface mounts back in the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
huberoy123 likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019
PONY Member

Garage
It looks like you won't have any issues putting in 2 speakers. Just a matter of drilling new mounting holes and cutting corresponding holes in the tray cover.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019
PONY Member
Classic Member

Most individual car speakers ( 65 vintage) were 8 ohms, I had trouble finding an 8 ohm 6x9 speaker for an old tube radio that I am repairing. I bought a 4 ohm and replaced the output transformer to 4 ohms to match impedance .

You can use 2 6x9 4 ohm speakers and add up to 8 ohms, check internet for wiring diagram. Best performance when the impedance of radio is matched to speaker.
Joe K4JOE
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019
PONY Member

You will want to do the installation without damaging the original design. Good options are undermounting the speakers or surface mounting them.
There are also 6x9 speakers that contain 2 separate speakers in the housing similar to the ones for the dash.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

I made the mistake of clearancing my package tray structure when I didn't need to. Mounting the 6x9s right on top of the package tray board will work just fine. May have to drill some screw holes, but it'll be fine.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019
Rookie

If you don’t want to cut your sheet metal, I’ve tried this https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...5-1967/p/PT25/ in my 66 coupe but... it doesn’t fit very well without some working it. It’s also about $15 worth of plastic and looks about as cheap so you will be disappointed if you pay full price. You could cover it in some vinyl to make it look decent and you will have to get some low profile speakers AND be sure to mount them in the tray before installing otherwise you will not clear the glass. More effort and money than it’s worth IMO but good idea that has potential.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019
Apprentice

Garage
I did the 2 speakers mounted in 1 6X9, as to give it a stock looking appearance in the rear tray. It sounds ok, not great, not horrible, tho it could be the stereo I put in it too. I used a "lookalike" radio that turned out to be a very big disappointment, I should have known when the first one I purchased didn't even work! I'm going to pursue another avenue with the radio eventually. So, back to the speaker installation, I had to clearance the hole in the metal under the rear package tray slightly to get the speaker to sit in the hole correctly. and I'm pleased with the results of using the stock looking speaker grille and package tray from NPD. I did the 2 into 1 speaker in the front too, and that installed without issue.
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
In my '66 coupe I put 6 1/4 round JBL's sounds good I had to cut my OEM package tray

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA65FB View Post
If you dont want to cut your sheet metal, Ive tried this https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...5-1967/p/PT25/ in my 66 coupe but... it doesnt fit very well without some working it. Its also about $15 worth of plastic and looks about as cheap so you will be disappointed if you pay full price. You could cover it in some vinyl to make it look decent and you will have to get some low profile speakers AND be sure to mount them in the tray before installing otherwise you will not clear the glass. More effort and money than its worth IMO but good idea that has potential.
I got me a pair of Focal 690AC 2-way 6x9" speakers like these https://soundrating.com/best-6x9-speakers/#focal and i've been thinking about ways to install them without drilling holes in my car...

Thank you!
Rookie

Newbie here, but plenty of audio background (former Dolby engineer, sound company owner, etc).

Someone hacked up the package shelf on my '66 coupe to shove some 6x9s in but they didn't really fit. The hole is closer to a 5x7.
What I did was make a piece of plywood that fit under the package shelf inside the trunk. Screwing speakers to wood is always better than to sheet metal. Lined up the holes with the openings to either side of the factory 6x9 opening. Bolted the plywood through the rear deck sheet metal. I cleaned up the holes in the cardboard package shelf and covered the entire piece with black cloth. Found some nubby textured flat black cloth at the yardage store. If you want to know if it's suitable for grillecloth, blow though it. If you can feel the air on your hand going though the cloth, it will work fine.
Other than the shelf being covered with somewhat stretchy cloth instead of carpet, it's totally stealth. I put some proper speaker grillecloth over the opening at the plywood level just to protect the speaker from anything puncturing the cosmetic cloth on top, and add a bit more UV protection for the cones. It's not a daily but the sun beats up read deck speakers.
If I ever want to get silly, I can put an 8" sub under the 6x9 opening. For right now, the Polk 5x7s are adequate for listening to music in a noisy car. Together with the Classic Stereo twin 3" speakers in the dash, I still have to figure a way to stealth a couple tweeters at the A pillars to add some stereo image width.
huberoy123 likes this.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues66 View Post
Newbie here, but plenty of audio background (former Dolby engineer, sound company owner, etc).

Someone hacked up the package shelf on my '66 coupe to shove some 6x9s in but they didn't really fit. The hole is closer to a 5x7.
What I did was make a piece of plywood that fit under the package shelf inside the trunk. Screwing speakers to wood is always better than to sheet metal. Lined up the holes with the openings to either side of the factory 6x9 opening. Bolted the plywood through the rear deck sheet metal. I cleaned up the holes in the cardboard package shelf and covered the entire piece with black cloth. Found some nubby textured flat black cloth at the yardage store. If you want to know if it's suitable for grillecloth, blow though it. If you can feel the air on your hand going though the cloth, it will work fine.
Other than the shelf being covered with somewhat stretchy cloth instead of carpet, it's totally stealth. I put some proper speaker grillecloth over the opening at the plywood level just to protect the speaker from anything puncturing the cosmetic cloth on top, and add a bit more UV protection for the cones. It's not a daily but the sun beats up read deck speakers.
If I ever want to get silly, I can put an 8" sub under the 6x9 opening. For right now, the Polk 5x7s are adequate for listening to music in a noisy car. Together with the Classic Stereo twin 3" speakers in the dash, I still have to figure a way to stealth a couple tweeters at the A pillars to add some stereo image width.
I'd love to see the finished product.
huberoy123 likes this.

1965 coupe w/ 302 out of a '68, Edelbrock 2027 top-end kit, Autolite 4100, Mustang II front end conversion, AAW wiring harness, rear-disc conversion
Apprentice

I did about the same ad Blues hanging my 6x9's underneath but without the wood. My '67 coupe's rear deck might be stamped differently though. My cover matches black nylon carpet but looks gray in photos for some reason. See my speakers? Oh and there's a 10 inch sub and a couple of amps in there somewhere too.
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkasper76 View Post
Im installing 6x9s in my 65. The rear deck metal has cuts outs for one center 6x9 and some other sizes on the sides of that. I want to install two speakers. Im sure someone has done this before. Any tips?
They make generic type foam insulation "cups" that fit under the speakers that create an enclosure...very inexpensive and work excellent.....they are very thin and drop in from the top side with the speaker flange set on top.....and does not interfer with flush mount appearance.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page