What's under the rear seat? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
What's under the rear seat?

I'm working on making the interior quieter but was wondering what was under the rear seat from the factory. Was there carpet or just sound deadening material?

Sent from my Pixel 3

1965 coupe w/ 302 out of a '68, Edelbrock 2027 top-end kit, Autolite 4100, Mustang II front end conversion, AAW wiring harness, rear-disc conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

Carpet goes most of the way to where the seat belts are mounted but then there is only sheet metal from there to the wheel arches and trunk.

guitarman584 likes this.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 64 View Post
Carpet goes most of the way to where the seat belts are mounted but then there is only sheet metal from there to the wheel arches and trunk.
Looks like I will need to find a solution for under the rear seat then because the carpet kit I got from ACC doesn't go back to the rear seat belt mounts.

1965 coupe w/ 302 out of a '68, Edelbrock 2027 top-end kit, Autolite 4100, Mustang II front end conversion, AAW wiring harness, rear-disc conversion

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

I was wondering about this myself... I just replaced the carpet and used Dynamat Extreme underneath. The precut pieces did not cover anywhere under the back seat and neither did the carpet. I was considering cutting up some generic Dynamat pieces and slapping them under the back seat.... but with the cost and weight... I’m not sure if there is much bang for the buck in doing.
guitarman584 likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

I was mistaken, I should have written to the seat mounts, not the seat belt mounts.
So you guys are correct, the carpet stops just behind the front of the back seats, where it clips into the floor.
guitarman584 likes this.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Dynamat the entire cabin including the doors, trunk, and firewall. I installed a steel panel between the trunk and cabin, which would also keep gas from sloshing into the cabin from a rear end collision that could rupture the tank, which is the floor of the trunk. I dynamatted that panel as well. It's definitely has made the cabin quieter, and a bit cooler as the transmission hump, and firewall are now heat shielded.
guitarman584 likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

There was a 3/4" thick, fiber mat covered with a black tar-like substance under the rear seat from the factory. Not all that effective but Ford did make an attempt at quietness. Its similar to the black mat that was under the carpeted area but it was a distinct piece of its own. After 50 years its often beat to death or missing.
guitarman584 likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
My '67 Cougar and '66 Mustang both have the black mats that Ivy mentioned under the rear seat cushion. They are only about 2'x3' and there's nothing behind the seat back and the trunk except a 3/16" thick pressed-board. You could easily add insulation to the floor and on the trunk side of the seat back. A 3/4" Styrofoam sheet can be cut to fit on the trunk side and painted to match.
guitarman584 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I carpeted (it came with jute) the trunk this weekend and it seemed to help with sound, but not as much as I was hoping for. I will be adding something under the rear seat eventually, and to as many vertical panels (doors, trunk sides, etc.) in the car as I possibly can. I would like to Dynamat the roof too, but I have concerns that in this So Cal heat that the glue wouldn't last too long. Am I wrong in my concerns? I also installed the weatherstrip to the deck lid this weekend and boy am I glad to no longer get exhaust fumes in the car while driving!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman584 View Post
I carpeted (it came with jute) the trunk this weekend and it seemed to help with sound, but not as much as I was hoping for. I will be adding something under the rear seat eventually, and to as many vertical panels (doors, trunk sides, etc.) in the car as I possibly can. I would like to Dynamat the roof too, but I have concerns that in this So Cal heat that the glue wouldn't last too long. Am I wrong in my concerns? I also installed the weatherstrip to the deck lid this weekend and boy am I glad to no longer get exhaust fumes in the car while driving!
Can't comment on the roof, but yes, every surface in the car needs sound proofing (carpet won't do it). Floor pans, trunk, doors, firewall, adding a soundproofed trunk divider helps as well.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
MACH I Member

Garage
There's less expensive dampening material besides dynamat, and works just as good. Look into Thermo-Tec Heat and Sound Suppressor.
guitarman584 likes this.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Dynamat is a resonance damper, and you only need to cover about 1/4 of the surface to get maximum effect (unlike what most people do). It just keeps metal panels from ringing like a gong, and that's about it. To dampen sound, you need something else. Jute matting, or some kind of poly-cell stuff works great. There are tons of sound-damping materials available, and many are cheap.

The asphalt hanging 'curtain' thing on Cougars (and Mustangs too I think?) between the rear seat and trunk doesn't stay up well, or do a great job. I would not use styrofoam, for several reasons, not the least of which being that it squeaks, and it's really easy to damage (putting stuff in the trunk). I think most any kind of sheeting would work fine, especially if you put some kind of cloth on it like the material they use to wrap speaker boxes. It would damp a lot of sound, anyway, and look nice from the trunk. My plan is to cut out a steel sheet to fit, and dynamat/put cloth on it, and then mount a subwoofer in it. As an added bonus, it should help stiffen the chassis and body significantly.
guitarman584 likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

In reality the seat itself probably did as much, or more, than anything else for sound control through the floor and/or trunk of a factory car. For convertibles the metal behind the rear seat back eliminated the 'barrier' behind the seat which is why they put a mat on top of the gas tank. I am not sure that mat did much good but, at least, they did try something. Mostly it retained moisture so that the top of the gas tank would rust.
guitarman584 likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

In reality folks this was a "small to intermediate " car in its prime and was designed for the younger couple. and single people. Its wild popularity meant lots of others bought the "Pony" car. However FORD did not spend the time to make it a "Luxury" model if you look at the fairlanes, lincolns and full size mecuries of the era you'll see much more sound deadening and attempts to quiet the ride.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

In the 60s it was quite accepted that most people who could afford a new car would trade if for a newer one at least every 3 years. Few considered the details of how a car was built since it wasn't expected to become a part of the family.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page