Leaking driveshaft yoke - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Leaking driveshaft yoke

It's been leaking for a while now but i've been ignoring it. I feel its time to get under vehicle and fix it. How do i fix it? just buy a new yoke or is there more to it? thanks

J

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191004_190712.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1,023.8 KB
ID:	611873  

1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine with a very mild custom ROLLER cam for torque) Weiand Stealth intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers ,Wiseco ProSreet Forged Pistons,Manton custom pushrods, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1( good up to 450 HP)
Rear End 3.80 gears, Monkey Grip Trac Lock posi unit
Tires 15" all around 225's in the back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Tail housing seal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilmoore69 View Post
Tail housing seal

I'll look into that as well but I feel this is yoke related. The yoke is sticking out to much and I dont like it at all. Looks like when I replaced my leaf springs driveshaft slid out alot. I'll probably have to get me a longer driveshaft now..

J

347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine with a very mild custom ROLLER cam for torque) Weiand Stealth intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers ,Wiseco ProSreet Forged Pistons,Manton custom pushrods, Hedman ceramic shorties

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

Just change the seal mate, easy to do.
The yoke looks a tad long but it should be so it slides in and out with rear suspension movement, plus if you had the car jacked up it would come out a bit as well.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
One thing I'd do is slip it out and look for 'wear rings' or pitting, when you're replacing the rear seal. If it's just a little bit worn, you can probably clean it up and polish it without any trouble. Also, just wiggle it all around and see if there's any slop or wobble to it. The thing should be free to move in and out a little as the rear axle goes through its travel, but it most definitely should have no play when it comes to rotation. Just horizontal with the shaft. If it's shiny smooth, and doesn't wiggle, you are probably fine. You're also right that it should not stick out 'a lot' because without enough of the shaft engaged, it will develop problems, and very likely warp the driveshaft while it's at it. IIRC the shop manual does list how much free play it's supposed to have, which will help you figure out if it's too far out.
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherRuki View Post
I'll look into that as well but I feel this is yoke related. The yoke is sticking out to much and I dont like it at all. Looks like when I replaced my leaf springs driveshaft slid out alot. I'll probably have to get me a longer driveshaft now..

J
The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was that the yoke shaft was about to fall out. There should be about 1" or so back from where it bottoms out on the output spline of the transmission. And the shaft should be clean and polished, protected with a thin layer of tranny fluid to keep it from rusting.

This happened to me recently when I did a transmission swap to an AOD; the original driveshaft was too short. It was engaged in the spline but not enough, and would vibrate at speed. Then of course the shaft seal started to leak as yours is. The red color in your photo is transmission fluid which is being blown back onto the U-joint.

I ended up getting my driveshaft rebuilt to the correct length. A local shop did it and it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought- under $250 to "re-pipe" it, continuous welds onto my original yokes, straighten, paint and balance.

But before you do anything, check your earlier work on the springs- did someone screw that up and now causing this problem?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rebuilt driveshaft.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	611927  
Beechkid likes this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks guys, if i get home early today I'll jack it up and look for any play. The leak has been ongoing for a long time now even before replacing leaf springs the yoke was dripping fluid. I dont really think the differential moved backwards a lot but there is a slight chance there was movement given the old springs where pretty much done and the new ones corrected a nasty lean the vehicle had to one side. I do know this, I drive the car hard at times if the yoke was ready to pop out it would've happened by now, I'm very, very happy it hasn't happened yet.. right now I feel like driving like grandma. There is a drivetrain shop close to work I'll drop by this week.

J

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

i measured the driveshaft while i was under the car and it came up to 49 1/2". yadkin, when i ease up on the gas pedal and rpms drop i feel something weird coming from under there and i can't really explain it. If i was to describe it i would have to say is like a "thud" but then i soon as i gas it and rpms go back up spins perfect. This only happens at higher speeds 50+ mph. I don't really feel any weird vibration coming from the shaft. check out my video please. Thanks again fellows

J

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

That seems awful sloppy

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
i measured the driveshaft while i was under the car and it came up to 49 1/2". yadkin, when i ease up on the gas pedal and rpms drop i feel something weird coming from under there and i can't really explain it. If i was to describe it i would have to say is like a "thud" but then i soon as i gas it and rpms go back up spins perfect. This only happens at higher speeds 50+ mph. I don't really feel any weird vibration coming from the shaft. check out my video please. Thanks again fellows

J
Looking at the video I can see where it use to sit, you are definitely out too far, like mentioned before check the work that was done with the leaf springs since this occured after the replacement of the springs

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:

J
There is a lot of play in that assembly. It's the likely source of the noise and definitely the cause of the leak. You should measure the wheelbase, both sides, and compare it to the factory specs. If the spring work moved the rear axle back that far, that should be fixed before you lengthen the drive shaft. Chances are someone used the wrong springs.

Once you get this figured out you'll also need to polish the front end of the shaft where it goes into the seal. Take a sheet of 600 grit sandpaper, cut it into 1-1/2" wide strips and use them in a pull-pull configuration to clean all that up. OK to leave a slight "grain" to the surface along the shaft rotation.
Beechkid and Grimbrand like this.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member

After bugging me all day i finally brought the driveshaft down, the driveshaft came out with little effort but before taking the whole thing out i tried pushing it in and it went in another inch or so. Tomorrow on my way to work i'll drop by the a shop a buddy of mine recommended me. Wheelbase measurement is a genius idea, Thanks again Yadkin!

J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191022_231201.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	838.0 KB
ID:	611941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_231317.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	684.9 KB
ID:	611943  

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

That is so little engagement you are lucky the driveshaft doesn't fall out of the transmission when you go over a bump in the road. The less shaft engagement you have the sloppier the fit on the splines will be. Any slop in the fit deforms the circular rubber seal which causes an oil leak.
Yadkin and imps like this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
After bugging me all day i finally brought the driveshaft down, the driveshaft came out with little effort but before taking the whole thing out i tried pushing it in and it went in another inch or so. Tomorrow on my way to work i'll drop by the a shop a buddy of mine recommended me. Wheelbase measurement is a genius idea, Thanks again Yadkin!

J
You can see the old position in the second photo especially. The shaft looks to be about 4" long, you have 1.5" engagement and you should have 3", or about 1" exposed.
Ivy66GT likes this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
You can see the old position in the second photo especially. The shaft looks to be about 4" long, you have 1.5" engagement and you should have 3", or about 1" exposed.
^^^^ this, quit trying to rationalize around this fact. Go get a new driveshaft made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page