1967 mustang thermostat installation - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
Classic Member
1967 mustang thermostat installation

I have a 1967 mustang and i was told by my mechanic that my thermostat is leaking and he being the good guy he is instead of fixing it for me put it on my to do list because he knows this is my project car. Does installing a new thermostat require above average knowledge of working on cars or is it something as simple as say... my electronic ignition that i installed?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008
Classic Member
I take it this is a V8 car. Thermostat changes are a snap. Take off the upper hose, 2 bolts and you're in. Just make sure you have it installed pointing the right way. You can put it in upside down. And clean off all of the old gasket material.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008
PONY Member
Classic Member
Just as easy, but a bit messier. Gotta drain the coolant , remove the thermostat housing, remove the thermostat, make sure the old gasket is removed completely from the intake manifold and the thermostat housing (scrape both manifold and housing CLEAN), install a new gasket, a new 195degree thermostat and re-insatlaa the old thermostat housing, then re-fill the coolant. Oh, and be sure to look at the thermostat when you take it out to be sure you know which way it faces.Dont put it in upside down!!!
Simple, really, but allow an hour, at least, for the job.
Hope that helps,
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member
This would be a good time to flush & change your antifreeze while you're at it since you'll have to drain it anyway.
If it's a 289 I'd also change the 90* heater hose elbow on the tstat, otherwise it's impossible to do w/o removing it later.
Be careful not to over torque the Tstat housing bolts, it's easy to crack it or strip the threads.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008
MACH I Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
The temperature rating of the thermostat is stamped on it. I advise that you install one that has the same rating as the old one if the engine was operating at the right temperature. Thermostats that are rated at temps. around 190* are usually used in engines that are equipped with emissions controls.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page