Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 10-11-2008   #1 (permalink)
available2good is offline Rookie

Classic Member

available2good's Country Flag
Jonesboro   Georgia
available2good is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 Mustang 200 ci In-line Six Poor Idle Quality, Runs Rough

I have a 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe with an in-line 6, these are some of the issues I'm having:

• The idle quality is horrible, I thought it may have been because of the breather without the snorkel so I purchased one of those little 6 inch all in one filter breathers which didn't help much at all. So, I tried adjusting the idle and that only helps when the car is first started but by the time it gets warm its awful. So, I put the original filter back on and played with the idle while it was cold but it still idles very poorly the only way the car stays on is if I constantly give it gas.
  • Also, the exhaust manifold appears to be bent. The the old gasket is warn to bits and in most places has just disintegrated. You can see sparks in the space where the gasket used to be and the engine to sputters when it sparks. The manifold is very rusted and I'm afraid if I try to take the screws out they will break, can I fix this problem without replacing the old gasket?
  • Lastly, I drove it on the highway and I noticed that at about 70mph the engine flutters and seems like it's trying to accelerate but just can't go any faster. Overall, the engine runs rough and VERY loud. This is a major problem because when ever I stop I have to put it in neutral and give it gas it or it cuts off and you can hear me from a block a way at least. How do I fix this and increase the mpg by as much as possible?
The car has been in my family for ages and I want to make it a daily driver. What could be the problems and what can I do to get the car running properly? My first time ever working on a car was when I rebuilt the carburetor on this mustang, now I'm hooked.
Do you think I would be able to fix this car on my own? Is this a job for a total beginner like me?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2008   #2 (permalink)
66Sprint200 is offline MACH I Member

Classic Member
V6 Member

66Sprint200's Country Flag  View 66Sprint200's 13 photos
Moon Township   Pennsylvania
66Sprint200 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to 66Sprint200

Ok, for the exhaust problem, I would suggest spraying a VERY generous amount of WD-40 or similar on all the bolts holding it down, letting it sit a couple of minutes, and then trying to take them off slowly.
For the other problems, I have had those. It sounds like you idle, fuel mixture, and choke are off.
Lets start with the choke. When its cold, take the air cleaner assembly off, and see what position the choke plate is in. It should be almost closed. If not that means your choke is off. To fix this, while it is cold, loosen the 3 screws holding that black knob on and turn it counterclockwise so it closes the choke. Also make sure that the one idle screw isn't contacting the cam that is in between the thermostatic spring housing and carburetor body. The screw will be on the drivers side of the car, with the head facing down at the manifold, and it will have a spring on it, just like the mixture screw on the passenger side. If the screw is contacting, then you will need to unscrew it a little bit, you can either do this with your hand, (well I could), or with a spanner.
Fixing the choke is pretty much the first step to fixing it, but I think you really do need to replace the manifold gasket. That would let excess air into the cylinder, and probably cause poor firing. I hope this helps some.
I recomend getting a 66 shop manual if you haven't got one. I am kind of new here too, and for all my questions, at least one person told me to get the shop manual. I did, and trust me it helps alot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 10-12-2008   #3 (permalink)
available2good is offline Rookie

Classic Member

available2good's Country Flag
Jonesboro   Georgia
available2good is on a distinguished road

Ok. So apparently the choke was stuck open and the dumb mechanic who loaded my car to be sent to me somehow dropped a screw inside the carburetor. Now both of those things are fixed and it idles so low I have to stop sometimes to make sure it's on. The fluttering at 70 mph more than likely was because there was a screw in the carb but I'll know tonight when I drive it. Also, I had a vacuum leak and I'm told that aids to poor engine pressure and that can make a car perform poorly. I fixed the vacuum leak with one of those little rubber tops and it's running ALLOT better but I think I also need to get a better spring on the gas pedal because it's too stiff, it's hard to pump the gas so I'm sure I'm pumping too much when I do. Does anyone know the proper spring to use, if so, can you post a pic because I have NO CLUE what I'm looking for. Also, I have been thinking about having someone bump the timing up because I read somewhere that helps with mpg, does anyone know if that's true? Also what about fooling with the fuel air ratio will that help?
One last thing, Can you point me to the right direction for wiring sources? I want to re-wire the car and ad door and dome lights, power windows and doors, an alarm system, get the interior lights working again and possible a cd player too. What's a cost effective way to re-wire? I have done some reading on ebay what's the difference between 12 & 21 circuit kit? Does it matter if it's a "MINI" I have no clue what most of this means but I'm sure I'll learn as I go.
Unread 10-12-2008   #4 (permalink)
67sustang is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

67sustang's Country Flag  View 67sustang's 10 photos  View 67sustang's HomePage
El Paso   Texas
67sustang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to 67sustang
Thumbs up

Here's what I did:

Bought a complete harness from Painless Performance for my 67 and it was truly painless to wire the car. It took me about 3-4 hours to route it completely, since it's a one-piece unit. Took me a little longer to connect every wire but the beauty is that every single wire is marked as to the component and position it goes into. Plus, the installation instructions are great. My suggestion is that you acquire the shop manual and the wiring schematics from www.fordmanuals.com, either the digital version (color-coded) or the CD version.

As for the timing, I tried bumping it to improve mileage but all it did was to start overheating my engine (also an I6). The shop manual will give you ALLOT of information about your pony and since you said, you're planning on making it your daily driver, why not having every single specification for it, so you can tweak it around to your satisfaction.
Unread 10-16-2008   #5 (permalink)
RagHead is offline PONY Member

Mustang II Member
Classic Member

RagHead's Country Flag
West Monroe   Louisiana
RagHead is on a distinguished road

Think about changing over to a dual master cylinder, for safety and electronic ingition . Both are great additions.

1966 Mustang Vert., 200 CID I6, Autolite 1100, Pertronix Ignitor I, Candy Apple Red, black interior, black power top with glass rear window, C4 Auto Trans, Scarebird 4 lug front disc brake conversion, dual master cylinder, LED dash, park and tail lights.

1976 Cobra II, 302 CID, C4 auto trans. Blackjack headers, white with blue stripe and blue interior. Restoration process.
Unread 03-24-2010   #6 (permalink)
classic200 is offline Rookie

Classic Member

classic200's Country Flag  View classic200's 1 photo
Midwest City   Oklahoma
classic200 is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 Mustang sprint 200 idles and sputters

My sprint 200 will run good for about 2 or 3 days and then it will randomly start sputtering and will try and die when i press the gas. I took the gas tank out and cleaned it because someone thought it would be funny to dump leaves and twigs in it. After I cleaned it, it ran fine then a couples days later I was driving home and when i stopped at a stop sign it started to sputter. I took it to a friend and he adjusted the distributer and it started running better again. Is there something i can do to where it will run good all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162