1966 Mustang Automatic Transmission Fluid - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009 Thread Starter
Classic Member
Smile 1966 Mustang Automatic Transmission Fluid

I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe with an inline 6 cyl 200 cu in and a C4 automatic transmission.
It has been sitting in my garage for about 7 years.
I bought a new gasket and filter for the transmission and I want to put in synthetic automatic transmission fluid.
I have been looking at Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Has anyone used this before?

How many quarts of automatic transmission fluid should I buy?

Should I change the transmission fluid myself or take it to Jiffy Lube?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009
with it sitting for so many years i would try regular fluid first. also add a quart of K&W TRANS-X. seals and clutches are probably in bad shape...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009
Made Member
Classic Member
I am curious why you would want to use synthetic ATF.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009
Classic Member
A couple things to remember...
When you change your tranny fluid, half of it stays in the torque converter. So if you want to completely change it, you have to drain that, too.
If you are just changing the fluid that dumps out when you pull the pan off, use 4qts. If you are feeling manly and drain the torque converter, you will need 9qts. These numbers are assuming that the tranny is from that year and its not a deep pan.

As far as should you do the fluid change yourself...
All you have to do is remove the bolts holding on the pan. There are like 8 of those. When the pan starts to get lose, the fluid will start to dump out, so be ready to catch it. Then there are another 6 or so screws holding on the filter. Pull those out and swap the old filter for the new one. Clean the gasket surfaces thoroughly and put the pan back on with the gasket that comes with the filter.

Now if you're feeling really manly and want to put new fluid in the torque converter, you can drain it by removing the bolts holding the flywheel inspection plate on. Then have somebody rotate the bolt in your crank pulley (clockwise) till you can see the drain plug in the torque converter. Be ready to catch the fluid when you loosen that one, too. I believe you can figure out how to fill the sucker back up from here. (close the drain screw and put the pan on before you pour the fluid in.)

And I would go with the regular, not the synthetic.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009
Classic Member
type F
type F
type F

I just like to remind people to use
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by saz View Post
type F
type F
type F

I just like to remind people to use

SAZ, I know i need it in my '68 C6 but where can i find TYPE F??????? I've been looking but find it nowhere!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009
PONY Member
Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009
thanks, i just call A-Z & they said they have it - i was looking online with the ones you suggested but didn't list any type F
Sponsored Links

atf , automatic transmission , c-4 , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page