Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cruiser68 is offline Rookie

Cruiser68's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
Cruiser68 is on a distinguished road
Default Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang

hi ,

hope someone can help me with my fog lights wiring problems. I googled a lot already, but it seems like there is just no good wiring diagram for fog lights on a 68 mustang on the internet....
i checked out veronicas advices and her webpage, but it seems like my cables and wires are totally different from what is up on the internet...

so my problem already starts in the front...
the gt grill I bought on ebay said it's for a 68, so I ordered the underhood harness and the underdash harness and also the fog light switch and the circuit breaker for a 68. so I should have everything i need to wire it up, but somehow i can't find the right connectors to the new wires.

the fog lights itself have two wires with male connectors each. the underhood harness has a two prong plug for each light with a female and a male connector.

so here's my first question, what do I do with the "leftover" male connectors of the harness and the lights? Do I have to plug anything in the headlight harness under the hood or do I just have the wrong connectors on the lights?

Anyone an idea? don't worry i have more questions, I just thought i start in the front

thanks for help and suggestions in advance!!! :shiny:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2009   #2 (permalink)

Cruiser68's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida

thought some pictures mights help.... you can see in the pictures that the plugs won't fit together so here starts my problem...
and sorry for calling the blue plug a two prong plug, it's not but I do not know what you call them...
Attached Thumbnails
Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-p1010372.jpg  Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-p1010373.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
MIL1ION is offline Made Member

Classic Member

MIL1ION's Country Flag  View MIL1ION's 6 photos
Innisfail   Alberta
MIL1ION is on a distinguished road

You have the wrong ends on the fog lights pigtail.

Well you're in luck I'm here to save the day.

I have just completed making a new harness for fog lights.

I don't have a schematic made yet so I will try to explain it to you.

1) The black wire from the switch goes to the under dash harness and plugs into ground at the fuse box
2) The blue/black stripe wire from the switch runs to the the CB..
3) The other side of the C.B.runs to the single female Harness wire coming out of the back of the head light switch (power supply)
4) The Grey wire from the switch runs through a grommet to a connector just outside under hood near the grommet.
The Grey wire then continues through to the first Fog Light pigtail and onward to the 2nd pigtail.

5) along the wiring harness the Black wire from each fog light pigtail meets and terminate to ground with a common connector.

Want me to try and draw it up ?
Attached Thumbnails
Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-p4110005.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2009   #4 (permalink)

Cruiser68's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida

thanks so much, that should help, I will let u know if it worked
Unread 04-11-2009   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member

Innisfail   Alberta

I attached a pic of the pigtail you need.

That one shown is an extra and for sale IYI

If you don't want original but just a plug that will work, you can buy the Ford connectors separately.
Unread 04-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

I always love a mystery.

First of all, Cruiser68, did you buy the grille, lamps and harness all from eBay? Whatever, they didn't sell you a matched set. Looking at various sources the 68 fog lamps should have a single blue(?) connector instead of the 2 separate wires on your lamps. Those are lamps for an earlier car. OK, I see MIL1ION has just posted what looks like a more correct lamp wiring. VCM sells the 68 fog lamp pigtail with blue connector for $10. However, the Scott Drake photos, as well as the one from MIL1ION just above, seem to indicate that the correct '68 lamp wiring won't mate with your blue harness connector. Did they sell you the wrong harness as well?

Second, I agree that the '68 fog wiring schematic is hard to come by. The '66 seems to hide also until I found it right here on the site. Look up at the top of Classic Tech, take the thread and link marked for Wiring and Vacuum and look under '66 for Exterior Lighting. Not the schematic though; the pictorial. In the upper left corner of the External Lighting pictorial there is a schematic of how the fog lights are wired.

Third, MIL1ION, I'm not sure you have that wiring exactly correct. I doubt there was any ground wired into the fog switch and also doubt there are any grounds in the fuse block you can connect to. Ground on these cars is carried through the steel of the chassis. That wire confused with a ground is almost surely described by a much younger Veronica in this thread from 5 years ago: 66 foglight wiring diagram, NEEDED! - Ford Mustang Forums (V: May I suggest a medal for longevity of technical excellence?)

All of the early fog light switch wiring pigtails look much the same and I doubt they are wired any differently. The 3 wires on the fog switch are 1) power to the switch, 2) power to the fog lamps (gray) and 3) power to the tail lights which should come on with the fog lights. Another hint is that the wire colors from the '66 schematic are still the ones being used on the '68.

The first pictures above don't show what happens to the black wire on the engine side of the blue connector. I think it is a ground lug that is grounded on the radiator support metal like is shown in the '66 schematic. You have to somehow modify your lamp wiring to match the connector, get lamps with wiring that matches the connector, or take the fog lamp ground wire directly to ground without benefit of the connector.

If the 68 is somehow vastly different, I apologize in advance. But I think you will find that the above links will tell all you need to know.
Unread 04-11-2009   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

Innisfail   Alberta

Thanks Ivy,I was looking for that myself. I was working from a cut up harness and figuring the wiring on my own.

I just went and got the rest of my harness and I have to recant about the black and blue/black wires.

The blue/black wire to the C.B. attaches to a single connector with blue/black stripe around the fuse box.This wire is tapped
into the 10 gauge black/yellow wire (POWER)
The black wire on the switch attaches to the single connector coming from the head light switch harness. AUX lighting.
I suspect this is what runs the front marker lights ,Tail light while removing the head lamps from the circuit.

Sorry about the Important mistake I made.
I got confused because I also had a Seat belt reminder system attached to the bracket behind the fuse box.

The Fog lights get their ground through the black wire in the harness and eyelets.
Attached Thumbnails
Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-fog-light-wiring-one.jpg  Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-fog-lamp-wiring-2.jpg  

Last edited by MIL1ION; 04-11-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added content
Unread 04-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
Ivy66GT is online now SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Ivy66GT's Country Flag
Albuquerque   New Mexico
Ivy66GT is on a distinguished road

Except for pure originality purposes, exactly where you pick up the 12V is not a big problem. I just didn't want anyone to try and hook up a real GROUND in there somewhere; that might cause some problems.

BTW, don't ask me where I found it, I don't remember. And since it had a really odd file name I didn't even know what it was -- until just now. I only know I found it somewhere on the WWW last Christmas Eve! But take a look at this one which says the 66 thru 68 fog lights were generally wired the same.

And while I am on a roll, how about a similar one for the 65's. I haven't had time to study how they are different. It came from the same source as the 66_68 one; wherever in the world (literally) that may have been. Seems it might have been in Norway?
Attached Thumbnails
Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-66_68-fog-lamp-wiring.jpg  Fog light wiring on a 1968 Mustang-65-fog-lamp-wiring.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2009   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

Innisfail   Alberta

Either do I IVY, that;s why I went out to the garage to inspect the harnesses to make absolutely sure.

Ford did some weird things with black wire (normally a ground wire) in their harnesses.

Personally,nobody beats up on me like I do to myself when I post wrong info.

Re the topic: I knew there was some kind of bypass in the circuit that illuminates the marker lights when using the fog lights.

We have it all sorted out now though
Unread 04-12-2009   #10 (permalink)

Cruiser68's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida

hey guys, thanks so much for all the information, it works and looks great!!!

i just have 2 more questions
where is the best place to mount the fog light switch and circuit breaker? Is there any spot you prefer or was there a factory-style mounting point?

thanks and happy easter everyone!
Unread 04-12-2009   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member

Innisfail   Alberta

The harness i got came with a bracket that mounts behind the fuse box....the CB mounts to that

but you can mount it anywhere on the firewall or fender.IYL

the fog lamp switch bracket mounts on the under dash lip near the ignition switch.
Unread 04-22-2009   #12 (permalink)
bchampion is offline Rookie

bchampion's Country Flag
Lafayette   Louisiana
bchampion is on a distinguished road

Dennis, do you know what the blue w/red stripe wire w/the red bullet connector is for in your picture? I can't seem to find what it is for in my wiring diagram manual.

Thanks,
Unread 04-22-2009   #13 (permalink)
C25sailor is offline Apprentice

Classic Member
S197 Member

C25sailor's Country Flag
Columbia   South Carolina
C25sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL1ION View Post
The harness i got came with a bracket that mounts behind the fuse box....the CB mounts to that

but you can mount it anywhere on the firewall or fender.IYL

the fog lamp switch bracket mounts on the under dash lip near the ignition switch.

So you're saying fog lamp switch on right side of steering column? The one's I've seen were to the left of the E-brake? Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Mods: FRPP Strut Tower Brace / FRPP X-Pipe / FRPP Short Throw Shifter (Hurst) / FRPP CAK & Tune / Steeda Ultra Lites / Tokico D-Specs / Steeda HD Strut Tower Brace / LCA's / G-Trac Brace / HD Adjustible Panhard Bar / Rear Sway Bar + End Links/Steeda Stainless Brake Lines / DBA Rotors / Hawk Pads / Webelectric sequentials/ one touch top /rear windows
Unread 04-22-2009   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member

Innisfail   Alberta

Blue/red stripe wire is always for instrumentation lighting.

IIRC,That connector you see is for the Console PRD2L light
Unread 04-22-2009   #15 (permalink)

Classic Member

Innisfail   Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by C25sailor View Post
So you're saying fog lamp switch on right side of steering column? The one's I've seen were to the left of the E-brake? Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Well I could be wrong.. I have a rear window defroster and the switch on the right with kind of a space for the Fog Lamps.

From the right side of the of the dash ,The wiring harness even appears to run 2 different directions.
One runs straight back to the fuse box to pick up power and the other across and above the steering column to the left to the headlight switch then straight to the firewall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172