Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
toofun is offline Rookie

toofun's Country Flag
Middleton   Massachusetts
toofun is on a distinguished road
Default "I" TERMINAL on Starter Solenoid?

What is the "I" terminals purpose on the Starter solenoid? Also, if I disconnect all the wires to this "I" terminal and the car is in the "start" position am I right to assume that this terminal should show 12 volts at the terminal itself and then will read 0 volts once the key is in the "run" position? I have an HEI system with a 12v separate coil so do I even need to use the "I" terminal on the starter at all or can I run a straight keyed on power wire to the + side of the coil instead?

Thanks
Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Lib
Lib is offline Rookie

Classic Member

Lib's Country Flag
Wichita   Kansas
Lib is on a distinguished road

If I'm following you correctly, you will still need power from the "I" post to your ignition switch in order to transfer power to the starter when cranking to start. That's its primary purpose.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
stang93mustang is offline MACH I Member

stang93mustang's Country Flag  View stang93mustang's 26 photos  View stang93mustang's HomePage
Elgin   Illinois
stang93mustang is on a distinguished road

If that wire to the terminal is hot all the time the starter will keep trying to start the motor. That is your momentary switch for the hi amps that flow through to the starter.
Don't worry....it's only a boat anchor! All it said on the dyno was........average!!
Unread 06-10-2009   #4 (permalink)
MIL1ION is offline Made Member

Classic Member

MIL1ION's Country Flag  View MIL1ION's 6 photos
Innisfail   Alberta
MIL1ION is on a distinguished road

The I terminal stands for Ignition

The purpose of it to supply 12 volts to the coil during CRANKING the starter bypassing the ignition switch which has a resistance wire running from the switch to the + terminal of the coil

There should NOT be power at the I terminal when the engine is running.
You see Ford coils run with 7-9 volts not 12v

A constant 12 volts would burn the coil up
Attached Thumbnails
"I" TERMINAL on Starter Solenoid?-73_74pointignition.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2009   #5 (permalink)
toofun is offline Rookie

toofun's Country Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL1ION View Post
The I terminal stands for Ignition

The purpose of it to supply 12 volts to the coil during CRANKING the starter bypassing the ignition switch which has a resistance wire running from the switch to the + terminal of the coil

There should NOT be power at the I terminal when the engine is running.
You see Ford coils run with 7-9 volts not 12v

A constant 12 volts would burn the coil up
OK Now I think I understand what is going on. On a conventional POINTS type ignition system the coil needs 12v at startup and then requires 7-9 volts after the car starts to run properly. So the wire running from the ignition switch is a two part wire, one part runs to the + side of the coil with a resistor in between to provide the + side with 7-9 volts when the car is running the other comes off of the I terminal and is a direct wire to the + side of the coil providing 12 volts while the engine is cranking only.

Two things though. One... I have a 12 v HEI ignition system with a coil that is a breakerless 12v coil which I assume needs 12 v all the time. The way my I terminal is hooked up is this way. It has a KEYED 12 volt wire running to the I terminal from the ignition switch which is hot when the car is in the run position. Also attached to this I terminal is a white wire that runs directly to the + side of the 12 v coil. Also, the I terminal has a red wire marked 12v running to the electric fan.. so I am assuming that whoever had this car before is using the I terminal as a mating point for the + side of the coil and as a point for the electric fan to draw its power from. The hot wire from the ignition switch is feeding power to both of these wires ONLY when the ignition switch is in the run position. When the ignition switch is in the start position(cranking) then the hot wire from the run position is dead and power is being feed to the coil and the fan via the charge through the "I" terminal. Damn I hope I am making sense....

Anyways if someone can verify what I just said that would be great. Either way I am thinking I can just bypass the whole "I" terminal all together and run a 12 v ignition switch wire to the + side of my 12 v coil and run my fan off of another 12 v source as well. What do you think?

Mark
Unread 06-10-2009   #6 (permalink)
MIL1ION is offline Made Member

Classic Member

MIL1ION's Country Flag  View MIL1ION's 6 photos
Innisfail   Alberta
MIL1ION is on a distinguished road

"When the ignition switch is in the start position (cranking) then the hot wire from the run position is dead"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm No Power from the switch runs to the I terminal in START....It is activated in the starter relay.... then no power to the coil from the I terminal once the key goes to RUN.
There should be power through the resistance wire to the coil as well in Start position

If it was me I would install a Keyed power bar on the fender rather than using the I terminal as a mating point.

Keyed power connection can be found near the Fuse box.

Please be specific with the terminology of the I circuit
The "terminal" is on the Relay.. the CONNECTOR that goes to the I terminal is part of the harness
Unread 06-10-2009   #7 (permalink)
toofun is offline Rookie

toofun's Country Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL1ION View Post
"When the ignition switch is in the start position (cranking) then the hot wire from the run position is dead"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm No Power from the switch runs to the I terminal in START....It is activated in the starter relay.... then no power to the coil from the I terminal once the key goes to RUN.
There should be power through the resistance wire to the coil as well in Start position

If it was me I would install a Keyed power bar on the fender rather than using the I terminal as a mating point.

Keyed power connection can be found near the Fuse box.

Please be specific with the terminology of the I circuit
The "terminal" is on the Relay.. the CONNECTOR that goes to the I terminal is part of the harness
OK... So one thing I should add here. The car is equipt with a Painless Wiring kit so the stock wiring harness for the most part is long gone. Funny you should mention the Keyed power bar. I was planning on getting one and using that instead. I am assuming if I am to use that Keyed power bar then I should wire a keyed 12 volt wire TO the bar and then run anything that requires a 12 volt keyed power source (my electric fan and my 12 v coil, aftermarket gauges etc..) FROM the bar? If so where is the best place to mount the bar And if I do this should I put a fuse somewhere in between for protection? If so where should I put it and how big of a fuse should I use??

Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it.

Mark
Unread 06-10-2009   #8 (permalink)
11craig11 is offline Rookie

11craig11's Country Flag  View 11craig11's 9 photos
beverly   Massachusetts
11craig11 is on a distinguished road

i went with an msd 6al box and the way i wired it is the the heavy red to battery positive and the black to ground. Then you have the pigtail usually a purple and a green wire to the distributor, and an orange and black wire for coil. And the original wire that went to coil positive you use for the ignition on power source. If you followed that wire back to the firewall it splits to the brown wire for the starter solenoid "I" you want to remove this wire from the solenoid because it kicks the voltage down for the points ignition, and your hei system probably wont work with it.
Unread 06-11-2009   #9 (permalink)
The Greek is offline Senior Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

The Greek's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida
The Greek is on a distinguished road

When the key is in the "start" position the only wire that has power from the ignition switch is the wire to the small "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. When power is applied to the "S" terminal, the starter solenoid closes. When closed the large terminal to the starter and the "I" terminal to the coil gets power. There is no other power going to the coil.

When the ign. switch is shifted to the "Run" position there is no longer power to the "S" or the "I" terminals and the solenoid is now open and the starter is also no longer cranking. Power to the coil has now shifted, through the ign. sw. to the wire that contains the resistor wire.

The coil wire has a splice in it. From the coil, one end goes to the "I" terminal and one end comes from the ign. sw. with the resistor wire. When in the "Start" position power can only go to the coil from "I" because the ignition switch side with the resistor wire is open and the solenoid is closed. When the ign. sw. is in the "Run" position, power can only go to the coil from the now closed ign. sw. because the solenoid and the "I" terminal is now open.
Unread 06-11-2009   #10 (permalink)
toofun is offline Rookie

toofun's Country Flag

So if I have this right then this is the way it works.... Two wires are coming off the Ignition switch. One runs from the START position to the S terminal on the solenoid, the other one runs from the RUN position of the ignition switch to the + side of the coil. THEN from the Solenoid itself you should have one wire coming from the I terminal to the + side of the coil. This way the coil has power going to it from the Start position (Run position dead, solenoid closed powering the starter and the I terminal, sending power through the wire to the + side of the coil) And from the RUN position( start position dead, wire directly from the ignition switch to the + side of the coil) Thank you for clarifying this for me. I understand what this guy did now. This is what he did.

On the I terminal of the solenoid he has three wires.... One is a wire coming from the RUN position of the ignition switch, One is a wire that goes to the electric fan(supplying power to it), and One is going to the +side of the coil... Upon startup the first wire (one from Run position) is dead but the I terminal is powered because the car is in the START position. Once the key goes into the RUN position the I terminal is not powered naturally but is now powered by the START wire, powering the fan and continuing to power the wire going to the + side of the coil. Like I said before I think this guy was trying to find a way to power the fan and is using the I terminal on the solenoid to do it. It is a creative way but I dont like it. I would rather wire it the right way and use a 12 v Keyed power bar to run power to the things that need it now and in the future.

Sorry so long but this is the only way I can get it all out of my head and in a format that I can go back to and look at it. THANKS AGAIN I KNEW US GREEKS WERE SMART!! LOL!!:hihi:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162