Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
desdain is online now Apprentice

desdain's Country Flag  View desdain's 4 photos
Tampere
desdain is on a distinguished road
Question Standard or heavy duty leaf springs?

I'm in need of new leaf springs for my '66 fastback as the old original ones are really sagging.

My question is is I should get the standard springs or the heavy duty springs? I rarely have anyone in the back, but sometimes I carry some heavy luggage in the trunk if we're going on a road trip. I don't drag race and I prefer ride comfort over curve handling.

What do you think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
MizzouMike76 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

MizzouMike76's Country Flag
Prishtinë, Kosova
MizzouMike76 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MizzouMike76

I think you've answered your own question with the ride comfort over handling.

I went with a pair of stock leaf springs, and I was amazed how much better my car handled and how much less it sagged after a suitcase was tossed in the trunk. Even a set of stock springs will be a drastic improvement over what I can only guess are stock worn out sagging springs.

Are you doing the work yourself?

Michael

1990 GT 25th Anniversary 5.0 AOD Convertible. SOLD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 06-15-2009   #3 (permalink)

Tampere

Yep, I'll be doing the work along with a buddy. Anything I need to know about?
Unread 06-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
MizzouMike76 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

MizzouMike76's Country Flag
Prishtinë, Kosova
MizzouMike76 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MizzouMike76

Yeah, you need to know it really sucks putting leaf springs on a car!

The biggest challenge was getting the front eye bolt out/off. It is very likely you will need to cut the bolt on either side of the leaf spring, a tricky job since the space is narrow and it's a very tight fit. I used a combination of cutoff wheel and Sawzall (reciprocating saw) and it was ugly ugly work. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was!

Be sure you take care not to have springs hitting you in the face; I jacked the car to take the weight off the springs, then I had a jackstand under the front of the spring for added protection. Also, since you're under there, this might be a good time to clean up the rear axle and paint it, and install new shocks should you need or care to do those things.

Your efforts will be worth it the first time you drive after putting in new springs; they'll improve handling, acceleration off the line, and stopping; overall, the car will feel more agile than before. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and make sure you have a good supply of Finnish vodka on hand to keep your buddy interested (or do y'all drink whiskey now like the Russians?)

Michael

1990 GT 25th Anniversary 5.0 AOD Convertible. SOLD
Unread 06-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
racin_ryan is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

racin_ryan's Country Flag  View racin_ryan's 16 photos
Marysville   Ohio
racin_ryan is on a distinguished road

I replaced my fastback springs with standard, because like you, I wanted the comfortable ride. The originals would sag when you sat in the car or pushed down on the rear. The new springs raised the rear 3". I had to put lowering blocks (1.25") in to bring the rear back down to where I wanted it. I drive around with my wife and the kids in the rear and it is a night and day difference. You no longer feel the car sag in the rear and you can't push the rear down by hand.

Like Mike said the only thing that sucks is the front bolt. 45 years of rust and grime add up to not wanting to come out. I took an air chisel and I was able to wedge it between the frame and bolt. After getting a small gap the air chisel hammered it right out. It was the first pair I've ever removed and it wasn't too bad.

Hopefully you have replaced the front coils or are planning to. New shocks all the way around and new shocks (620's up front) at all four corners make it ride like a new car. Used to lean like a boat in water in a turn. Now it turns like a newer car. I'm wanting to upgrade the front sway bar and add a rear for more improvement.
Good Luck,
Unread 06-16-2009   #6 (permalink)

Tampere

Well, the car was completely restored a couple of years ago, and at that time the springs didn't appear to be too bad. Also, as the build was going way over budget, we had to reuse some of the parts that were in "decent" condition.

Now I see the error of my ways and I will replace the leaf springs (the front end is new and upgraded). The good thing is that all the bolts are new and I shouldn't have any problems with ~45 years of rust and dirt build up.

The vodka is at hand ;-) (it's still Koskenkorva vodka, or Kossu, as the Finns call it, that is the predominant booze of choice)
Unread 08-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
TrialbyError is offline Rookie

TrialbyError's Country Flag
Calgary   Alberta
TrialbyError is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I was looking at tackling my rear suspension this winter as well. Do any of you have any pictures of your rear suspension setup? Desdain, can you take some pictures when you do yours? I'm looking to do 4.5 leaf spring with mid eye, b/c that's what I've seen many people do w/ their classic, but I want to make sure I know what it looks like etc? I asked the local mustang parts dealer and they didn't know what I was talking about, hah!
Racin Ryan, are lowering blocks an easy thing to purchase? Like you, I'd like a lower profile car.
Early 1965 Mustang Coupe GT clone, Toploader, Bored 0.03" over, Front manual disc, dual 2.5" exhaust, mild cam, Crane roller rockers, RPM performer intake, 625 Road Demon carb, Mallory distributer, MSD 6A ignition, Aluminum Radiator, Edelbrock High Flow Water Pump, some engine bling!!
Unread 08-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
stars is offline GT Member

stars is on a distinguished road

Guess it depends on the car, I had zero trouble doing the leaf springs in my ’68 fastback (just liquid wrench and elbow grease). I went with the heavy duty springs and was grateful for the firmer ride in back (the ones I got didn’t raise the car much over stock), but that’s a personal preference. The thing that made the back really ride too hard was KYB shocks (those things would knock your teeth out on a rough road), and I ended up switching to another brand.
Unread 08-11-2009   #9 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Guess it depends on the car, I had zero trouble doing the leaf springs in my ’68 fastback (just liquid wrench and elbow grease). I went with the heavy duty springs and was grateful for the firmer ride in back (the ones I got didn’t raise the car much over stock), but that’s a personal preference. The thing that made the back really ride too hard was KYB shocks (those things would knock your teeth out on a rough road), and I ended up switching to another brand.
Which brand did you switch to?
Early 1965 Mustang Coupe GT clone, Toploader, Bored 0.03" over, Front manual disc, dual 2.5" exhaust, mild cam, Crane roller rockers, RPM performer intake, 625 Road Demon carb, Mallory distributer, MSD 6A ignition, Aluminum Radiator, Edelbrock High Flow Water Pump, some engine bling!!
Unread 08-11-2009   #10 (permalink)

This was about seven years ago, so my memory’s a little fuzzy, but I think it was Monroe’s that I switched to. They were a little soft, but better for general street use than the overly stiff KYBs (especially with how beat up the roads are around here).
Unread 08-11-2009   #11 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
This was about seven years ago, so my memory’s a little fuzzy, but I think it was Monroe’s that I switched to. They were a little soft, but better for general street use than the overly stiff KYBs (especially with how beat up the roads are around here).
Thanks!
How many leaf springs are in your heavy duty pack? My setup has 4 total (I think, maybe 5), but if the longest one is estimated at 4' (feet) then the next one is 3', then 2', then 1' if that makes any sense???? I'm not sure if they are all supposed to be around that 3-4 foot marker or tapered like mine? That's why I'm looking for pictures. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade. I'll post some pictures tonight.
I have air shocks right now and I'm not too thrilled about having them so I want to go to a regular shock. I was thinking about the KYBs but I think I'd probably have to go KYBs with a regular leaf spring setup maybe? Or go Heavy Duty and then have a softer shock (like you)?

If I'm going to take the shocks out, I figure I may as well do the leaf springs at the same time...
Unread 08-11-2009   #12 (permalink)

The leafs that I got had four segments, one more than the stock springs that were on there. I was quite happy with them, as I always felt that the stock leafs were a bit too weak for the application. They were designed to maintain the stock ride height too. Unfortunately the company I got them from has gone out of business (another victim of the economy). There’s probably other sources for similar items though.
Unread 08-11-2009   #13 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Well I've attached some pictures. I'm not sure if these are original or newer, or whether they are 4.5 leaf...or mid eye (whatever that means)

It looks like I have 4, but they get shorter as you get closer to the ground. My rid height isn't too bad, but I also have air shocks so even when they are deflated the ride height doesn't look to bad. It passed a provincial inspection last year...

Did yours look like this, or were they all full length?

Thanks again!!! :shiny:
Attached Thumbnails
Standard or heavy duty leaf springs?-img_2208.jpg  Standard or heavy duty leaf springs?-img_2209.jpg  Standard or heavy duty leaf springs?-img_2211.jpg  Standard or heavy duty leaf springs?-img_2213.jpg  
Unread 08-11-2009   #14 (permalink)
66 restomod is offline GT Member

66 restomod's Country Flag  View 66 restomod's 3 photos  View 66 restomod's HomePage
Benicia   California
66 restomod is on a distinguished road

I am really happy with the ride and performance of the 4 1/2 mid eyes we installed. Can put 2 people in the back seat with a full tank and not bottom out on a big bump. Car stays flat in turns. But it does not ride rough, just firm.
Here are pictures of the rear end and leaf springs:
Photo Page/6 Pictures

Good Luck and be safe
Ron
MSD ignition, Crane Cam
Tri Y into 2.25 Shelby side exhaust
T5 conversion, Hydraulic Clutch and 3.55 Trac Lok
CSRP SN95 Discs
<=== CLICK on the "house" to visit my 66 website!
Unread 08-12-2009   #15 (permalink)

Calgary   Alberta

Oh, I just figured out that it's you and your son's website, hah, very good site! I also figured out what Mid Eye means. The leaf spring attaches to the middle of the eye bolt housing as opposed to the bottom. Mine are not mid eye. The new ones you've installed look like mine in terms of the leaf spring setup / staggeredness (if that's even a word). Thanks so much for the help Ron!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162