Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 07-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
danielf is offline PONY Member

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona
danielf is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 Mustang 3rd member swap

Ok, so i called to see how the car was coming and the mechanic told me that everything was done but couldnt figure out some type of whine. He said he can hear it upon acceleratoin and deceleration at higher speeds around 55-65mph. I had him swap the 43 year old 3rd member with 2.80 open differential for a 3.25 Traction-Loc 3rd member from JustRearEnds.com. He said that because they are brand new and really tight that its why they might be making that sound (and something about the paint marks on the new gears?)and when it wears it might go away?

I had this done, because, A) i wanted a little more pep out of the car, and B) because at 45-50mph it would start to give out a high pitched whine. Completely silent before and after those speeds. So i figured i should have it replaced. Now i dont know whats going on. He said that he wasnt sure why it made that sound and for me to "take it for a drive and see what you think. It might not be that bad to you." (but any sound cant be good right?)

So i guess my question is, do these types of "performance" rear ends make noise like that? I hate to have just dumped over $1,200 in parts and labor for it to not be fixed and still have something go/be wrong. Its not like i dont trust the labor either. The guy knows his stuff. Hes been in business for over 25 years and all the guys from the hotrod club go to him (thats what made me try him at first). Hes built some really high end street machines. So i dont know, im hoping its normal and will go away but if any of you know what it is please let me know. Thanks.
1966 Mustang 2+2, 289 c code/c4, Edel 600cfm/performer carb, intake/spacer,Comp XE250H Cam, pertronix igintor w/ coil, tri-y headers, dual factory 2"exhaust w/ H-pipe, flex fan, UDP's, windage tray, Grab-a-track Suspension, B&M shift kit, 2.80 w/track lock diff.

2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Prerunner
2006 Nissan Sentra (wifes' car)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Keving is offline Made Member

Classic Member

Keving's Country Flag
Decatur   Alabama
Keving is on a distinguished road

I don't know what it is that is wrong with it, but the paint on the gears is how he can tell if he has an adjustment wrong. If the wear is even, it's right. If it has worn more on one side or the other it will help him move it where it needs to be. Did he change out the axle bearings? Just a thought.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-09-2009   #3 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Axle bearings? Is that the same as rear wheel bearings? If it is then yes, i had them changed a few years ago because they were leaking oil all over the inside of the rear tires.
1966 Mustang 2+2, 289 c code/c4, Edel 600cfm/performer carb, intake/spacer,Comp XE250H Cam, pertronix igintor w/ coil, tri-y headers, dual factory 2"exhaust w/ H-pipe, flex fan, UDP's, windage tray, Grab-a-track Suspension, B&M shift kit, 2.80 w/track lock diff.

Unread 07-10-2009   #4 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Ok i got the car back and have been driving it around. From what i gather, from low speed accel or decel it sounds like a faint screw type supercharger whining up or down. Its not THAT bad. At cruising its completely silent. So it WAY better then what they were to begin with. Im sorry i didnt go with a 3.55. Its a noticable increase in take off but i was expecting more. Anyway, what a difference posi make when you take off form a start. With the little bit of modifications i have that thing got sideways form the light. Wow.

Unread 07-10-2009   #5 (permalink)
tempoffroad is offline Rookie

tempoffroad's Country Flag
Winston Salem   North Carolina
tempoffroad is on a distinguished road

their should be no whine at all. at least not from the gears, if it is wining and coast and acceleration it sounds like the pinion is set to tight in the ring gear and is hitting the face and coast side to deep. check the paint and you will know what is going on.
Unread 07-10-2009   #6 (permalink)
durtydawgster is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

durtydawgster's Country Flag
Tucson   Arizona
durtydawgster is on a distinguished road

I have heard of people having this whining from their rear ends. I have spoken to some of these guys, and have been told that they adjusted and adjusted, and messed with it, and the only thing that fixed it was taking it back and swapping it for a different rear end. From what I have been told some of these rear ends are louder than others and you just have to insist to the company that sold it to you that it is not acceptable.
Unread 07-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
bigm71 is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

bigm71's Country Flag  View bigm71's 2 photos
Sanford   North Carolina
bigm71 is on a distinguished road

I have heard the same. That some rear aftermarket gears are louder and harder to adjust out than others. I was told yukon and pittsburgh gears are louder than motive. They are tighter at the heel of the pinion gear for strength or something. He told me to go with motive (i think that's how's it's spelled) if possible but that the others could be adjusted to make better but were noisier.
Unread 07-12-2009   #8 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Ok, ISSUE NUMBER 2!

When i make a turn, left or right, it makes a pretty noticable "gear" noise. Like two gears are grinding against each other. Ive heard that some types of posi units make this sound. But i mean even when i let the car go at idle speed in the street and make a turn without hitting the gas, its pretty loud and you can feel it throughout the car. "GGGGGGggrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuu" What the heck man! Had i known this was going to be like this i would have left it 2.80 and open.

Oh and my original whine before i swapped teh rear end out is still there too.

Im really sorry i ever started messing with this car. If only i could turn back time...

Unread 07-12-2009   #9 (permalink)
kenton_90 is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

kenton_90's Country Flag
ST. George   Utah
kenton_90 is on a distinguished road

rear end are 50% black magic. its such a hit miss game first off I would get the car on a lift and check and see if the noises are really coming from the 3rd member. it could also be wheel bearings, drive shaft, trans, or engine. and you shouldn't hear a really loud grinding. it should be pretty mellow when your just coasting.....

good luck and let us know what happens
Unread 07-12-2009   #10 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Well they are gonna have to be. It wasnt whine'n or grind'n befor i swaped 3rd members. So....? Only think it could be. Car ran like new before i did it.

Unread 07-13-2009   #11 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Ok, after some talks back and forth with JUSTREARENDS.COM and some lengthy research, it appears that the ORIGINAL whine might be coming from the Side Bearings. Those are the only thing that i havnet had replaced.

As for the 3rd member and after a few consults with JRE's He is tating that it is an intaller issue. He said that the instructions have to be followed to a TEE and ONLY use Ford or Motorcraft friction modifier...

Daniel
Well who ever installed the third member did not read the install instructions. They clearly state what type of oil to be used and obviously no friction modifier was added so that is why you are experiencing clutch chatter. Read the install instructions.

Just Rear Ends

Daniel

We use Motive gear performance ring and pinions which are supposed to be quite. These are an import gear but are the best imports on the market; they are made in Italy, not China like most other gears. After market gears can and do make noise in some applications. There are gears made in the US such as Strange US gear, but unfortunately Strange / Us gear has been sold twice in the past year and they are not producing light duty or passenger gears at this time so they are not available. If the noise is not acceptable to you we will replace the ring and pinion at no charge, but there is no guarantee that the noise will go away. You will have to incur shipping cost and labor at your end. The noise you hear is called harmonics and does not affect the durability or performance of the rear end. Is this is the same noise you heard out of the original rear in your car? Is your cars suspension stock or has anything been changed? There is a possibility that you still may hear a noise in a replacement third member because when batches of gears are made they cut up to 300 gear sets at a time so they all could be noisy, and at the end of a batch the tooling becomes dull, therefore some gears will make noise even though there is nothing wrong with that gear setup. We have sent out several 8 third members with a 3.25 ratio and you are the only one that has had a noise issue.

Thanks

Just Rear Ends

Unread 07-13-2009   #12 (permalink)
WillyGoat is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

WillyGoat's Country Flag
Morristown   Tennessee
WillyGoat is on a distinguished road

You mentioned that you had the rear wheel bearings because they were leaking allove the inside of the back tires. Are you sure that they replaced the bearings or just the seals. It may be a wheel bearing making the racket that your hearing now. If it is a bearing you can put it on jack stands, start it up and put it in gear. Have someone run it up to the mph you hear the probelm and listen for it from unde the car. Make sure you block the front wheels good and be careful where you put your body parts. It is creepy under there with things moving. You can feel bearing issues pretty easy thou with a piece of dowel.
Unread 07-13-2009   #13 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Huh, Ill have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Unread 07-24-2009   #14 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona
Default Update

Car is back in the shop. Mechanic said there is something wrong with the rear end from Justrearends.com. He said that when he pulled it apart again, the oil looked like it was 40 years old and i had never changed it, eben though i hadnt even driven 20 miles with it. So now, i have to ship it BACk to JRE and have them go through it, My Mechanic said he called them and went over the "directions that they obviously didnt read" and it didnt say what the guys at JRE said it was, making them wrong. So now i gotta spend GOD KNOWS how much to ship this 75lbs rear end back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162