1966 Mustang Fastback Door Window Installation - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009 Thread Starter
Classic Member
1966 Mustang Fastback Door Window Installation

I didn't want to step on an existing window thread, so here goes...My paint shop took out all the door windows including the wind wings, and window channels, and felt strips. I have the 2, 2 piece channels, and 2 boxes of fastners. Does any one know of a step by step procedure for installing the hardware, the vent windows, and the windows that identifies what fastners go where. Do you install the felt first or last, window before the wing wing, etc. I've seen the diagram in the Ford manual and it's not detailed enough. I figure worst case, I can take it into a Mustang restoration shop..... or maybe my next door neighbor might be will to pop a panel off his '65 coupe! Also, when they replaced the 2 rear quarter panels, I went with the complete ones which included a portion of the side window moulding. The replacements do not include the "studs" that hold on the stainless side window trim. What now? Do I use the little screws the '65 use or what? I've got the original '66 clips and I don't think they're designed for the screws? Help!:kooky:
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009
GT Member
Bill, Make sure your door handle, locks, and door latch are installed first. Its been a while but I believe you want to proceed in this order;

-Your wing assembly with its leading edge door glass channel goes in first
-You rear glass run channel on the opposite end
-Your window ( remove rubber door glass stop at bottom of door inside)
-Window regulator

Adjust everything including wing assembly ( it helps to have 2 people and its a ***** to adjust) Make sure window operates smoothly and door opens and closes properly with proper clearance and no binding.

Then lower your door glass below the edge and install the inner fuzzie and then the outer strip and reinstall the bottom door glass stop.

The attachments will help you but you really should work with someone who has done this before becuase it is one of the most difficult things to do if you are not totally familiar. You also will have to re-drill some hole holes to install the fuzzies.

Glass is not my area of expertise. Maybe a pro will chime in on this
Attached Files
File Type: docx Classic Ford Mustang Window Frame Replacement.docx (107.9 KB, 499 views)
File Type: docx How To Replace Window Channels and Strips.docx (116.0 KB, 450 views)
File Type: docx How To Replace Window Glass.docx (169.6 KB, 1492 views)

'66 Ragtop, vibrant red, 289-4V, 4-speed toploader
'68 Fastback, space blue metalic, 351C-4-V, 4-speed toploader
'69 Mach I, (Pending Resto Project)
'66 Fastback (because I wanted one)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009
For what it's worth, I've never had to drill any holes to get the reproduction moldings/fuzzies to line up with the original door holes. It can be tough, however, to get the reproduction fuzzies to snap in place; seems like I can always get most of the clips to seat correctly, then I end up with one or two that are aggravatingly difficult.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009 Thread Starter
Classic Member
RF, thank you for your input. Now I've got an idea what order I should proceed with.

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page