Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-25-2010   #1 (permalink)
itsa65 is offline Apprentice

itsa65's Country Flag
Denver   Colorado
itsa65 is on a distinguished road
Default 1965 Mustang-Steering column shaft length?

Hi all,

My first clue about a steering column problem was that when I got into the car, I could barely squeeze in b/t the steering wheel and the seat. (No, I do not have a beer belly.)

PO had changed out the steering column collar (right behind the steering wheel) to a size wider than the correct 1-1/4” wide collar. Shaft bearing was different also (subject of previous posts). After getting all the correct parts and putting it all back together, there remains a gap of nearly ½” b/t the collar and the wheel. (see pic)

My only conclusion is that the steering column shaft (with a slightly longer length) was added in some time in the last 45 years.

The car has power steering, but I can’t tell if it was original to the car. Maybe it was added later with the wrong steering column shaft length? Maybe the power steering unit is not original and required a longer shaft? Are shorter shafts available, or do they need to be matched to a particular steering box? Are the shafts even available at all? I don’t see them in the catalogues. Anyone know of a source?

Any help or advice much appreciated!
1965 Mustang-Steering column shaft length?-column-spacing-001.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2010   #2 (permalink)
Icerat is offline PONY Member

Mustang II Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Icerat's Country Flag  View Icerat's 37 photos
Dublin   California
Icerat is on a distinguished road

The steering shaft from the steering gear to the steering wheel is a fixed, solid shaft of equal length on all 65-66 cars. That collar is adjustable to change the gap. Just yesterday in Mustang Monthly there was a detailed article on it coincidentally. If you don't get the magazine, you should lol. If you don't here is a link to the article online How To Replace A Steering Gear - Mustang Monthly Magazine
1964-1/2 Mustang 260 Conv, 1966 Mustang 289 Coupe, both projects
2001 F-150 Lariat for daily use.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-25-2010   #3 (permalink)

itsa65's Country Flag
Denver   Colorado

Thanks for the info and link, Icerat. However, I don't see how the collar itself is adjustable. It is attached at the end of the tube with two square headed bolts (1/2" long, I think) -- the square heads fit into slots on the tube itself, then come up into the collar, then secured by two nuts inside the collar where the turn signal switch sits.

In other words, all the connections are of a set length.

What adjustment do you mean?
Unread 03-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Icerat is offline PONY Member

Mustang II Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Icerat's Country Flag  View Icerat's 37 photos
Dublin   California
Icerat is on a distinguished road

If you loosen the clamp under your instrument panel the whole column slides up, around the shaft, and moves closer to the wheel. The collar is fixed to where you position the shaft. Sorry if my original description was a bit confusing. The collar itself is not the adjustable part.
1964-1/2 Mustang 260 Conv, 1966 Mustang 289 Coupe, both projects
2001 F-150 Lariat for daily use.
Unread 03-25-2010   #5 (permalink)
chockostang is offline Registered User

chockostang's Country Flag
Murrayville   Illinois
chockostang is on a distinguished road

Get the Tag number, either post, or call.

This will assist in the ID of the box-Length, etc. Reason I'm asking, Is it a Mustang Box??

These old cars have been altered Many Times over the years.

Dan

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 04-01-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Unread 03-25-2010   #6 (permalink)

itsa65's Country Flag
Denver   Colorado

Thanks guys. I will look at tube adjustment and will try to ID the steering box.

If I can move the tube upward, I'll close the gap, but I'll still have the problem of a tight squeeze between the steering wheel and my position in the seat, even when the seat's all the way back.

Chockostang: would a steering box from another mustang style or year, or maybe from something like a maverick or falcon be interchangeable with the original box? You may be right that the box has been changed -- that, or someone changed the column shaft itself. Is it "typical" that one or the other would have been changed separately?

Also, if I ultimately need to change out the box, do I specifically need a 1965 unit (my car built June of '65)? I'm assuming it will have to be a power unit? or can a manual box fit and/or be modified? Thanks for help and advice.
Unread 03-25-2010   #7 (permalink)
Jonk67 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
S197 Member

Jonk67's Country Flag  View Jonk67's 1 photo
Smyrna   Tennessee
Jonk67 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa65 View Post
Hi all,
(No, I do not have a beer belly).
But he's trying Verrry hard!

Daniel, as mentioned the box and steering shaft are pretty much one piece unless you remove the box with the shaft and dissaemble the box, pics from Randy help a lot to understand:
http://www.stangerssite.com/HowItWorksSteeringBox.html

Here's how to read your gearbox tag:
http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html

PS gearboxes should be 16:1 and 'most' manual steer are 19:1. Use the chart to make sure you get the right ratio and output shaft sized (1"). You can find them on fleabay often, just make sure it's got the tag to identify it. Like any other used part it's a crapshoot if you're getting someting that needs a rebuild now or later, if yours turns out to be right you may want to have it rebuilt if it's sloppy.

By the way I'll be in FW next week if you want to work on that beer belly again
Jon
Unread 03-26-2010   #8 (permalink)

Murrayville   Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa65 View Post
Thanks guys. I will look at tube adjustment and will try to ID the steering box.

If I can move the tube upward, I'll close the gap, but I'll still have the problem of a tight squeeze between the steering wheel and my position in the seat, even when the seat's all the way back.

Chockostang: would a steering box from another mustang style or year, or maybe from something like a maverick or falcon be interchangeable with the original box? You may be right that the box has been changed -- that, or someone changed the column shaft itself. Is it "typical" that one or the other would have been changed separately?

Also, if I ultimately need to change out the box, do I specifically need a 1965 unit (my car built June of '65)? I'm assuming it will have to be a power unit? or can a manual box fit and/or be modified? Thanks for help and advice.
Well I kinda blew my own theory. I was thinking the 61 62 Falcon box (Also C3DR) had a slighly longer shaft than the 65 66 Mustang---It is not, it is shorter, so that ended that.

The 64 65 Falcon is shorter yet.

As far as someone putting in a longer shaft,. No, none are avaiable, the 65 66 67 Mustang is the longest shaft installed in the C3DA Boxes, ALL Boxes 4 turn, 5 turn have same length shaft.

4 turn, 5 turn will work with without PS.

If you have a Non Power steering car with a 5 turn box "Manual", I'd advise sticking with it.

Putting a 4 turn "Power Steering" box in without Power Steering will make it turn HARDER.

Dan

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 04-01-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Unread 03-26-2010   #9 (permalink)

itsa65's Country Flag
Denver   Colorado

So, the great thing about this forum is that you get to meet such great people and get such great info.

The downside is that you can't even make the slightest exaggeration without someone calling you on it. So, since Jon is such a stickler for details -- steering box codes and waist line measurements -- I will say that maybe, just maybe, I have a slight beer belly. Relatively speaking, it is MODEST sized! OK, Jon!? I will NOT post a picture, which I'm sure you're all thankful for.

Icerat, I adjusted the tube and now have a snug fit. Thanks for that advice!

The stangerssite is great, Jon, so thanks again for the referral. Chockostang, my code is HCC AW // 5F01B. This would seem to be correct for my 6/10/65 mustang. But, stangerssite uses a "HCC AW" tag as an example and describes it as power steering, whereas the chart indicates it's manual. ?? I may contact him for clarification. (Mine is ps.)

BUT STILL, I have the tight squeeze into the seat, which I never had with any other mustang.

Jon, despite your reflections on my mid-section, I'm always up for getting together when you're in town! Give me a call! Look forward to seeing you. Daniel
Unread 03-26-2010   #10 (permalink)
Jonk67 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
S197 Member

Jonk67's Country Flag  View Jonk67's 1 photo
Smyrna   Tennessee
Jonk67 is on a distinguished road

Hey Daniel, I didn't mean to infer that you had a beer belly at all, just that you enjoy working on one, as do I....hard to come across in writing that I wasn't pointing out physical attibutes, just liquid ones

Is that a stock type steering wheel? it looks really deep which would put it closer to your midsection. Maybe you could measure from the bottom of the wheel to a fixed point on the dash and see if others with a '65 get the same measurement, at least it would tell you if the wheel juts out any farther than normal. If you could extend your seat slide more than stock would that help?

I'll give you a text or call next week when I'm in town, maybe we should meet at a gym this time?
Jon
Unread 03-26-2010   #11 (permalink)

Murrayville   Illinois

Randy (Stanger) is Correct. The AW is a Power Steering Box. Sorry if I indicated otherwise. Randy is a Very Professional, Very through individual, yes Carol and I know him personally.

The 4 Turn Boxes are 65 66--AW/AX, the 67 Boxes SMB B, or SMB J.

Dam sure not going to relate in any Fashion, to the Fit___ I'm out there.

Good Luck, Have Fun with your Classic, that's what it is all about. Yes, been doing it for 40 Years.

Dan @

ChockoStang

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 04-01-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Unread 03-26-2010   #12 (permalink)

itsa65's Country Flag
Denver   Colorado

All in good fun, Jon!

Like your idea about measurements, but car's back in the shop. Heard a "thunk" in the front end and found out they'd only run the nuts up half-way onto the shafts of the new LH upper control arm! whatever happened to qualify control? Glad they didn't shear off, but luckily I'd only driven a few miles since the R&R.

Chockostang, no question about Randy's knowledge and professionalism. But any idea why the chart shows a "HCC AW" as manual steering? Since I'm assuming mine's the original power steering unit, the chart code should be a "P" as Randy says, shouldn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162