Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark Plugs for 289 engine

21K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SDMustangRider 
#1 ·
Hey guys again! I know, I know. All these new threads of mine coming up. Tough!:kooky: Anyways, I was told by a shop the other day something about different size spark plugs for the engine. One is longer than the other if I can remember. Maybe someone can help me out on what he probably was talking about. Also, if you have recommendations of what spark plugs to use, let me know. I'm running RPM heads if that helps.

#2 ·
Hi, makes many posts as you like that's what we're here for! I have my original heads on my 289 and have Bosch platinum plugs. I have been running them for years and have had good luck with them. I also run them in my 2003 stang. They are a little pricey but worth every penny imo.

#3 ·
Cool. I was looking at Bosch copper plugs (forgot the part number) but they were suppose to be SUPER good plugs, but found out at Autozone they don't carry them anymore, so probably they are just discontinued in general.. Thanks Havoc.

#4 ·
Hello SDMustangRider,
Be careful when you select a plug for your motor. The plug length has to be correct for the heads. I am not certain what plug you need but I do know you don't want a plug that is too long as it could hit the piston top.

Perhaps some info can be found here:

Spark Plug Guide - Heat Range - Car Craft Magazine

Too short of a plug and the spark will not be in the combustion chamber and too long a plug could hit. You need to research more about the heads.

I am not trying to spook you out but the length is important. You can't just but any plug for a 289 as the article explains.

Keep researching -- - Print Dad

#5 ·
Hello SDMustangRider,
Be careful when you select a plug for your motor. The plug length has to be correct for the heads. I am not certain what plug you need but I do know you don't want a plug that is too long as it could hit the piston top.

Perhaps some info can be found here:

Spark Plug Guide - Heat Range - Car Craft Magazine

Too short of a plug and the spark will not be in the combustion chamber and too long a plug could hit. You need to research more about the heads.

I am not trying to spook you out but the length is important. You can't just but any plug for a 289 as the article explains.

Keep researching -- - Print Dad

That's exactly what I was talking about in my first post, about my mechanic telling me make sure to get the right plugs. Think it might be best to call Edelbrock and asked them?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Find the Autolite equivelant plug.
I have had a lot of problems with Champions - no-fire conditions, high resistance, short life etc.
Autolites have always worked well and last longer than other plugs.

#10 ·
I ended up getting the Champions but I might order these and send the Champions back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.