1964 Mustang C4 Transmission Linkage Issue - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1964 Mustang C4 Transmission Linkage Issue

I purchased my 64 Mustang last fall and have just gotten around to checking out the mechanical side of the vehicle and have found that the shifter linkage rod that I have for a 1964 Mustang does not reach from the transmission to the shifter. I know the linkage bar is correct, but not sure what this means about the transmission. The engine is not original so I assume the transmission is not either. The vehicle has the 170ci with the C4 transmission. I was told the engine came out of a Falcon, but am not 100% sure. Do I need more than the linkage rod to connect the shifter to the transmission? Do I need an aftermarket shifter instead of the original? Or is this a different C4 transmission and I need to do something else? Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Last fall? Well what took you so long...

First order of business will be identifying exactly which C4 you have. You will need the part number which is cast above the shift linkage on the driver side. If it starts with a C then it's from the 60's and if it starts with a D then it's from the 70's. Then next number will identify which year C8 would be 68 and D0 would be 70...etc...

Here is a link which has a ton of info about C4's and any other Ford tranny you can think of. You should be able to narrow things down quite a bit...

Mustang tech and info links - Transmission & Electronics

As far as the linkage goes, here is a picture of how mine is. The picture is kind of blurry but it should give you and idea. There is a shoulder bolt which attaches to the shift lever and that bolts to the linkage arm. There are a couple of washers and bushings that go into it. It's held on by a nut on the outside and a on a cotter pin on the inside...

1964 Mustang C4 Transmission Linkage Issue-050710-016.jpg

1966 Coupe San Jose C-code/Rebuilt 289 and C4/ Pony Interior/ Ported Stock Heads/Roller Rockers/Edelbrock RPM/ Demon Carb/ Hooker Comp Headers/Flowmaster 40's/Pertronix Dist/ 4 Wheel SSBC Disc Brakes/17" Torque Thrust Wheels/3.55 Trac Loc/Currie Axles/Viper Blue-White Stripes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
GT Member

The only way to identify the C4 is with the tag that is held by one of the servo bolts. Chances are you have a column shift C4 and you are trying to put a floor shift linkage on it.
How do you tell? put the transmission in park - check it by turning the slip yoke one way or the other. When the column shift C4 is in Park the lever will be directly on top of the front band adjuster while the floor shift C4 will be up and back about 120 degrees clockwise from the front band adjuster.

1966 Coupe
351W
Top Loader
rebuilt, rewired, modified for slalom and hill climb
No racing - just a fun car built by and for me.
Project in process

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for your responses. I will get out there today and see if I can find any identifying marks as to what C4 tranny I have. It sounds like PaulS might be right though. If so, is there any way to attach my floor shifter to a column shift transmission? Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010
GT Member

There are three ways:
1. get the factory lever and install it.
2. remove the lever you have, modify it, and reinstall it.
3. fabricate a bracket to hold a cable in the proper location for your current shift lever and use it instead of the rod.
So there you have it, now you get to choose the method of torture you have to endure.
Hope you have fun with it.

1966 Coupe
351W
Top Loader
Project in process
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay...so I found this bracket

C4 SELECTOR SHAFT AND BRACKET SHAFT IN THE SIDE OF TRANSMISSION - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

on cjpony and was wondering if this is what I should be looking at changing to. My current bracket doesn't look like this so I assume that I do have the column shfter bracket. Is it an easy bolt on job or is there a lot to do when changing one of these brackets? Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010
GT Member

You have to remove the valve body, remove the kickdown shaft, and then remove the nut that holds the "rooster comb" on the shaft, then remove the shaft. Then you install the new shaft and all the rest. I would install a new seal for the shift shaft and a new quad ring for the kick-down lever at the same time.
If you want step by step instructions drop me an email and I will send them you.

1966 Coupe
351W
Top Loader
Project in process
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the advice PaulS. I think I have it pretty well figured out on how to get to the shaft and nut. I have been having trouble locating a new seal for the shaft and a quad ring for the kick-down lever. Do you know where I can find these or if they go by a different name?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010
GT Member

You might have to get an entire seal kit in order to get the two you want but try www.bulkpart.com and see if they sell them separately. You might have to call them to find out for sure.

1966 Coupe
351W
Top Loader
Project in process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page