Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 08-12-2010   #1 (permalink)
ds36k is offline Rookie

ds36k's Country Flag
Mirror   Alberta
ds36k is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 Police Interceptor into 1966 Mustang

Ok - I searched several times before posting to see if anyone has attempted installing a police interceptor (crown victoria) suspension into a 1966 Mustang coupe body.

We are planning on installing the engine and transmission from a 2006 police interceptor but were thinking of also installing the front and rear suspension. Has any had experience doing this and is it possible. We are concerned the donor suspension is too wide for the 1966 chassis.

Any constructive input is appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2010   #2 (permalink)
MizzouMike76 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

MizzouMike76's Country Flag
Prishtinė, Kosova
MizzouMike76 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MizzouMike76

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I think you will find lots of knowledgeable people here that are always happy to help.

About the suspension:

The aftermarket support for the early Mustangs is astounding. There are many, many available suspension kits and mods out there; everything from a stock rebuild to coil-overs with rack and pinion, and that is just the front end.

There's a lot more out there for a 1966 Mustang than there is for a Crown Vic, and it will actually fit!

So the question again is, why do you want to do this swap? If it is because you happen to have a Crown Vic and want to save money, forget it. If it is for the handling characteristics, again, available Mustang parts will blow it away. If you just want to be different, then yes, anything can be done with enough money, time, and fabrication.

I hate to sound like I have a negative attitude towards your swap, but believe me, I'm just trying to give you some perspective.

Michael

1990 GT 25th Anniversary 5.0 AOD Convertible. SOLD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 08-12-2010   #3 (permalink)
paul289 is offline PONY Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

paul289's Country Flag  View paul289's 14 photos
Marysville   Washington
paul289 is on a distinguished road

For example, you can use a Mustang II swap, or Griggs Racing, or an RRS strut system. These will all give you the added room to put in a mod motor, and will drastically improve handling. If you want the Crown Vic suspension, it's going to require a great deal of fabrication, where it may be worth it to just buy one of the no-fab suspensions. They all require some welding, but nothing like making your own suspension.
Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe w/ C4. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, 600 cfm carb, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy valvetrain with XE262H cam, MSD ignition, and ported heads. Suspended by 600# 1" drop front and stock rear springs, KYB shocks front, 1" front sway bar, 1" Shelby drop, Griggs Racing GR350 rear suspension. Many more mods to come!
Unread 08-12-2010   #4 (permalink)
ds36k is offline Rookie

ds36k's Country Flag
Mirror   Alberta

Hi, thank you for the quick replies.

My motivation for using the suspension is for convenience, cost, and improved performance (from the current 1966 suspension / brakes / Steering).

The convenience is the fact that steering / brakes / etc are all direct hook ups to the engine that we are planning on installing. We are of course concerned that the convenience will be quickly eliminated by the amount of modification required to the 66 chassis.

The cost comes from the fact that we still have the cop car chassis. The extent of modification to the mustang chassis could once again render this to be untrue. I am a little bit lucky in that we own a waterjet table which in most cases makes it cheaper to fabricate modification parts than to purchase them.

Does any one know the true hub face-to-hub face dimensions of a 66 mustang and a 2006 crown victoria?

I have the track widths but this is very dependant on the tire and wheel dimensions and seems a little misleading.

I sincerly do appreciate the input and thanks again.

Dean
Unread 08-13-2010   #5 (permalink)
FordGtMan is offline Made Member

Classic Member

FordGtMan's Country Flag
Southlake   Texas
FordGtMan is on a distinguished road

Only reason i would guess is so when his friends ask what setup hes got, he can say like the blues brothers.
"Its got cop shocks, cop tyres, cop brakes, cop engine, and the engine was designed pre catalitic converters so it will run ok on regular deisel. So what do you say?...Is it the new blues mobile?"
"Fix the lighter"
Hahaha
Unread 08-13-2010   #6 (permalink)
mustangkilgore is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

mustangkilgore's Country Flag  View mustangkilgore's 1 photo
Tucson   Arizona
mustangkilgore is on a distinguished road
Default Get to work

If you have the crown vic and the mustang. Get a tape measure and go to both cars and figure these out. One thing about projects like this is you have to get figure's on the spot. I have done swaps and could not tell you one measurement. That is the fun part of doing that project. If you dont have the car you can go to junk yard. Make sure you have a good welder or someone you know that can and all the tools you will need. Or you will being buying tool and parts in the middle of the project and this sometime makes the project stretch out a year or two. Half the time people tear into a perfect mustang and can't put it back together. Please make sure your have everything and money and time to complete. There is alot of mustang owners that hate seeing these in someone garage or yard.
Unread 08-13-2010   #7 (permalink)
v8only is offline GT Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

v8only's Country Flag
Thompson   California
v8only is on a distinguished road

it would almost be easier to find a way to make the classic mustang unibody bolt onto the crown vic frame...shortening it and narrowing it where necessary.

I'll be honest, that's a ton of work to get a lackluster engine/trans combo and suspension combo. just because you have the cop car doesn't mean that it's the best swap that can be done.

If you're dead set on a newer engine, consider the new 5.0 crate motor from ford

-86 ssp X chp 5.0 coupe
-66 coupe,Ford racing crate 5.0 roller engine, t5 trans, 8.8 explorer 373 rear,2005 mustang front disc conversion, lots more
-1972 Maverick undergoing full resto
-1998 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC Black/Black
Unread 08-13-2010   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

Prishtinė, Kosova

Sell or part out the Interceptor. Use the proceeds to fund your suspension and engine work.

Really, you can do what you want with your car, but yeah, V8only said it well: lackluster engine and suspension. If you've got the resources to fabricate, better to use those skills doing a swap that makes sense

Unread 08-13-2010   #9 (permalink)
ds36k is offline Rookie

ds36k's Country Flag
Mirror   Alberta

Thanks for the input

I need to do more homework on the suspension but am taken back by the comment on lack luster engine / transmission. This engine with proper cold air intake produces 300 hp(+). The crate engine is a really nice option but is way more per horse power cost wise.

__________________________________________________ _

340 HP Crate engine: $3,845
Shipping: $800 (no free shipping to canada)
Intake/fuel/charging/etc: $3,000

Total Min: $7,645
Still need transmission
__________________________________________________ ___
300 HP Interceptor Engine (3000 miles before the car was tailended and bent the frame): $1000
comes with transmission
------------------------------------
Crate engine: $22.49/hp
Interceptor engine: $3.33/hp

-----------------------------------
from a power to weight ratio perspective the crate motor is better

I will however put more thought into this based on the feedback.

Thanks

Dean
Unread 08-13-2010   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

v8only's Country Flag
Thompson   California

the late model 4.6 modular motors leave a lot to be desired. 300 hp is not nearly as much as you'd think. Their mammoth size is one of the biggest issues. The other problem is n/a hp. It's basically impossible to build them up in n/a trim....on a realistic budget. What you see is what you get. As well, the engine you have is the 250 hp version, not 300....AND the cold air intake is why it's at 250 and not lower. I'd like to see what you're going to do to bump it up a true and honest 50 hp n/a for anything less than a small fortune. It's also the 2 valve modular motor, by far the least desireable. Again, the vic is no where near 300 hp, and no cold air intake on the planet is gonna get it there.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but rather make you see the enormous amount of fabrication work you have, just to wind up with no benefit over a $250 junkard motor/tranny. The late model explorers 96-2001 had the last of the 302/5.0 pushrod engines and with a carb and good intake will make 300 real hp, easily 50+ more than that 2v modular motor will and it'll bolt right into what you've got now.

As far as the vic suspension goes, try driving the car lol before you consider it being an "upgrade" I had a crown vic, and I certainly wouldn't want my mustang to ride like one. Check out the opentracker site and their roller bearing kits....

I seriously applaud your courage to undertake a project like this, but you're using the wrong donor car, period. If you want a serious drivetrain swap with a late modular 4.6L...then you need to be searching for a wrecked 03/04 mustang cobra or even a late model 96+ 4v cobra n/a engine/trans combo.....

-86 ssp X chp 5.0 coupe
-66 coupe,Ford racing crate 5.0 roller engine, t5 trans, 8.8 explorer 373 rear,2005 mustang front disc conversion, lots more
Unread 08-13-2010   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

Prishtinė, Kosova

There was a thread on here, probably around somewhere (thought it was sticky'd to the top at one point) about the progress a guy was making on what is essentially dropping a '65 2+2 onto a Cobra chassis; major, major surgery. I did find this guy's thread that is doing a Cobra/Torino of some sort; looks like he's got his work cut out for him:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/maki...orino-gts.html

If you really like the fuel-injection idea, a 5.0 EFI swap is the way to go. I don't even need to get into what can be done to one of those motors, there's so much out there for them. A 347 stroker would be a good start.

For your case, you want the rack & pinion steering and better suspension, so here's a short list for you:

Rack& Pinion conversion with P/S

Front suspension kit from Mustangs Plus or similar, with 620# springs

"Shelby" upper arm drop

Monte Carlo and Export brace

5 leaf springs in the rear (also included in the M.P. kits and others)

Performance shocks

Rear sway bar

Contact Mustangs Plus. Those guys deal in suspension upgrades, as well as racing of vintage Mustangs. They'll get you squared away.

V8only is right; even if you did the Vic swap successfully, you'd be hard pressed to do any serious upgrades to the powerplant without coughing up big time money.

I was once set to buy a '66 six cylinder hardtop for very cheap. I was going to cut the top off to make a convertible, and then swap in a V8. In the end, I was given lots of advice to just buy a V8 convertible in the first place, and I really saved a lot of time and money.

Now if you just wanted to swap that motor.............

Unread 08-13-2010   #12 (permalink)
Hwyman is online now PONY Member

Hwyman's Country Flag
Bakersfield   California
Hwyman is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure where you are getting the police interceptor package from, but I'll share a few things about the ones I drove in California (at least until I retired in 2006). The engine was nothing special. It ran good, and was bullet proof, considering we drove with the foot to the floor a lot. The cooling and suspension package was the Ford heavy duty option. Not too many problems, again considering the abuse. The weak point was the trans. We had 21 cars, and at times as many as 5 or 6 were at the dealer waiting for a replacement trans. 0 to 100+ several times a day is not what they were designed for. Engine/trans/suspension was a good package for people that drive a Crown Vic., but I think you money and time would be much better spent buying purpose built parts. Just my opinion.
Unread 08-13-2010   #13 (permalink)
kens67mustang is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

kens67mustang's Country Flag  View kens67mustang's 63 photos
none   Pennsylvania
kens67mustang is on a distinguished road
Default PI

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8only View Post
the late model 4.6 modular motors leave a lot to be desired. 300 hp is not nearly as much as you'd think. Their mammoth size is one of the biggest issues. The other problem is n/a hp. It's basically impossible to build them up in n/a trim....on a realistic budget. What you see is what you get. As well, the engine you have is the 250 hp version, not 300....AND the cold air intake is why it's at 250 and not lower. I'd like to see what you're going to do to bump it up a true and honest 50 hp n/a for anything less than a small fortune. It's also the 2 valve modular motor, by far the least desireable. Again, the vic is no where near 300 hp, and no cold air intake on the planet is gonna get it there.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but rather make you see the enormous amount of fabrication work you have, just to wind up with no benefit over a $250 junkard motor/tranny. The late model explorers 96-2001 had the last of the 302/5.0 pushrod engines and with a carb and good intake will make 300 real hp, easily 50+ more than that 2v modular motor will and it'll bolt right into what you've got now.

As far as the vic suspension goes, try driving the car lol before you consider it being an "upgrade" I had a crown vic, and I certainly wouldn't want my mustang to ride like one. Check out the opentracker site and their roller bearing kits....

I seriously applaud your courage to undertake a project like this, but you're using the wrong donor car, period. If you want a serious drivetrain swap with a late modular 4.6L...then you need to be searching for a wrecked 03/04 mustang cobra or even a late model 96+ 4v cobra n/a engine/trans combo.....
the PI 4.6 is the top of the line police motor, basically a Cobra motor with a cast crank. the heads make the motor look huge.......and as for n/a? after all the mods.........the 4.6 can be super charged& out run that 302 crate or 351W crate engine, on a budget no less, ever driven a police Crown Vic? they handle GREAT for being a huge car! they have a better suspension package than a civilian crown vic.
Unread 08-13-2010   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

v8only's Country Flag
Thompson   California

i'd love to own a police vic, and I haven't driven one. Last Vic I had was an 85..same frame though, lol.

It's got the PI stuff, but judging from the HP level I'd assume it's still a 2 valve.
I never had much love for the modular motors, so I'm unfairly biased, I'll admit. I'm an N/A junky, and nothing excites me more than budget head swaps, budget cam and intake swaps and the sort...that's the stuff I like to do on the weekends.

There is some stuff that can be done with a 2v...my friend managed to get one into the 13's na without any headwork, and this was the weaker 98 engine...non pi heads but he did do the pi cam swap.

-86 ssp X chp 5.0 coupe
Unread 08-14-2010   #15 (permalink)
andrewmp6 is offline Top Dog

andrewmp6's Country Flag
Louisville   Kentucky
andrewmp6 is on a distinguished road

The crown vic only got the 2v sohc which is nothing more then what the mustang had but for the intake manifold.The rear end is a good 3 inch's too wide to fit a 66.After working for ford i won't ever own a mod motor its too much work to replace normal things.Like pulling a head on most cars means pulling the engine is easier.Its a lot easier and cheap to run a 5.0 and overdrive in your car then try what your thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171