Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
zhlange is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas
zhlange is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 Mustang Transmission options

Hello mustang lovers,

I am going to go direct to the point. I know that new cars have transmission that can let you shift manually and also can let you use automatic option. Is there a transmission, such as mentioned, out there that I can use to my 66 mustang? Is it a major job? Any members gone with that road? Suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010   #2 (permalink)
andrewmp6 is offline Top Dog

andrewmp6's Country Flag
Louisville   Kentucky
andrewmp6 is on a distinguished road

All auto trans will let you manually shift them.Just look at the shifter if it says 1 2 then drive well you got 3 speeds drive will be 3rd gear.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-20-2010   #3 (permalink)
Jonk67 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
S197 Member

Jonk67's Country Flag  View Jonk67's 1 photo
Smyrna   Tennessee
Jonk67 is on a distinguished road

Here's a good auto trans website:
Click Click Racing Forums

I'm installing a medium built AOD and had a better valve body built by Home
for a better shift pattern and the ability to hold the rpm's longer at WOT. I will be able to manually shift and lock out OD for track days.
Jon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-20-2010   #4 (permalink)

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
All auto trans will let you manually shift them.Just look at the shifter if it says 1 2 then drive well you got 3 speeds drive will be 3rd gear.
I only have a C4.
Unread 09-20-2010   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Smyrna   Tennessee

Andrews example would be a C4, auto trans, they have 3 speeds and your shifter bezel should show 1,2,D(3rd).

If you are in park and you put it in 1 your car will accelerate and the RPM's will continue to climb until you shift it or burn it out (5-6-7K, etc. depending on what your motor/trans can handle), meaning you're going to want to shift before the RPM's get too high or the engine will be screaming and when you do shift get ready for a hard shift.

I wouldn't suggest manually shifting much past 3500 on a stock motor to start with if you don't want to stress the trans and practice at low RPM's like 3-3500K. You simply start out in 1 and when you get to the RPM you want to shift at push the handle forward to 2, then when the RPM's climb again push it to D (3rd).

IF you plan to do it often I'd invest in a built trans. with a better valve body.
Jon
Unread 09-20-2010   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonk67 View Post
Andrews example would be a C4, auto trans, they have 3 speeds and your shifter bezel should show 1,2,D(3rd).

If you are in park and you put it in 1 your car will accelerate and the RPM's will continue to climb until you shift it or burn it out (5-6-7K, etc. depending on what your motor/trans can handle), meaning you're going to want to shift before the RPM's get too high or the engine will be screaming and when you do shift get ready for a hard shift.

I wouldn't suggest manually shifting much past 3500 on a stock motor to start with if you don't want to stress the trans and practice at low RPM's like 3-3500K. You simply start out in 1 and when you get to the RPM you want to shift at push the handle forward to 2, then when the RPM's climb again push it to D (3rd).

IF you plan to do it often I'd invest in a built trans. with a better valve body.
Jon
Thank you for the input. If my car was manual, would it be easier to replace it with a different tranny (t5, tko, and etc). Thanks again.
Unread 09-20-2010   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Smyrna   Tennessee

Yes it would be easier to swap an original manual 3 or 4 speed for a newer 5sp. just because you would already have the clutch linkage, Zbar, etc. in place, plus you'd have the 2 pedals/hanger for a manual vs. 1 pedal auto.
However plenty of people have converted auto cars to manual, I think some of the mustang parts suppliers sell kits to do this, check Mustangs Unlimited, NPD, etc.
Jon
Unread 09-20-2010   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas

Yeah I been researching on the process involved. Im seeing alot of websites but damn, I wish mine already a manual. But, can't cry over spilled milk. I found a website that states t5 is the easiest. Anything above it (tko, t56, and etc) is a major surgery. I don't know if that is a credible website. Thank you.
Unread 09-20-2010   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhlange View Post
Yeah I been researching on the process involved. Im seeing alot of websites but damn, I wish mine already a manual. But, can't cry over spilled milk. I found a website that states t5 is the easiest. Anything above it (tko, t56, and etc) is a major surgery. I don't know if that is a credible website. Thank you.
And, how does a stall converter or torque converter works? I know they are two different items.
Unread 09-20-2010   #10 (permalink)
PaulS is offline Made Member

PaulS's Country Flag
Seattle   Washington
PaulS is on a distinguished road

Your 66 Mustang came with a C4. You can replace the valve body with a 67 - 69 valve body and install a TransGo Reprogramming Kit #47-2 and hold 1st and 2nd to any speed and downshift manually to 2nd or 1st at any speed - giving you manual control over 1st and 2nd.
A torque converter and stall converter are the same thing - they are both torque converters. The "stall converter" simply has a higher stall speed than a stock torque converter. A stall converter generates more heat because it "slips" more than a stock converter. It may be more difficult to find a stall converter for your C4 becaust it uses the early "small" input shaft which is not generally considered a performance part. You can get around the problem by swapping to a 70 or later (I recommend 73 - 79) C4 and converter. It will be a direct swap as long as it is from a 250" six or a 302. If you want a transmission that you must shift then you can get a manual valve body (not normally recommended for the street) from Broader Performance. Or get a completely modified C4 from them with a manual valve body for $850. (use your bellhousing and supply a converter) The Broader C4 is built for up to 500 HP so it should be great for any 302 not running nitrous. Jay, the proprietor can supply converters with any stall you need at a very good price. You should run a large cooler with any modified C4.
rebuilt, rewired, modified for slalom and hill climb
No racing - just a fun car built by and for me.
Project in process
Unread 09-21-2010   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Your 66 Mustang came with a C4. You can replace the valve body with a 67 - 69 valve body and install a TransGo Reprogramming Kit #47-2 and hold 1st and 2nd to any speed and downshift manually to 2nd or 1st at any speed - giving you manual control over 1st and 2nd.
A torque converter and stall converter are the same thing - they are both torque converters. The "stall converter" simply has a higher stall speed than a stock torque converter. A stall converter generates more heat because it "slips" more than a stock converter. It may be more difficult to find a stall converter for your C4 becaust it uses the early "small" input shaft which is not generally considered a performance part. You can get around the problem by swapping to a 70 or later (I recommend 73 - 79) C4 and converter. It will be a direct swap as long as it is from a 250" six or a 302. If you want a transmission that you must shift then you can get a manual valve body (not normally recommended for the street) from Broader Performance. Or get a completely modified C4 from them with a manual valve body for $850. (use your bellhousing and supply a converter) The Broader C4 is built for up to 500 HP so it should be great for any 302 not running nitrous. Jay, the proprietor can supply converters with any stall you need at a very good price. You should run a large cooler with any modified C4.
Thanks PaulS. You've been helpful to noobs like me. The plan was actually for a manual tranny swap (like a T5). But, along the way, I have realized it is a big job. I am planning to do put this thing together myself and I am not that mechanically incline. SO, the T5 swap is almost out of the window. I was reading about AOD but I haven't got alot of info from it, yet.
Unread 09-21-2010   #12 (permalink)
PaulS is offline Made Member

PaulS's Country Flag
Seattle   Washington
PaulS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks PaulS. You've been helpful to noobs like me. The plan was actually for a manual tranny swap (like a T5). But, along the way, I have realized it is a big job. I am planning to do put this thing together myself and I am not that mechanically incline. SO, the T5 swap is almost out of the window. I was reading about AOD but I haven't got alot of info from it, yet.
The swap from a C4 to an AOD is more challenging than to a four speed manual, at least technically. It will also involve new rear gears, replacing the kick-down linkage with throttle pressure cable, a different or fabricated crossmember and possibly a shortened driveline.
A well built C4 will handle 500 hp on the street and last 20 years with proper maintenance.
rebuilt, rewired, modified for slalom and hill climb
No racing - just a fun car built by and for me.
Project in process
Unread 09-21-2010   #13 (permalink)

Classic Member

zhlange's Country Flag
El Paso   Texas

Quote:
The swap from a C4 to an AOD is more challenging than to a four speed manual, at least technically. It will also involve new rear gears, replacing the kick-down linkage with throttle pressure cable, a different or fabricated crossmember and possibly a shortened driveline.
A well built C4 will handle 500 hp on the street and last 20 years with proper maintenance.
Well don't you have to install pedals and clutch kit (cable or hydraulic)? I just thought that auto to manual is harder. Can you suggest any company that offers good rebuild products for a C4?
Unread 09-21-2010   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Smyrna   Tennessee

Quote:
If you want a transmission that you must shift then you can get a manual valve body (not normally recommended for the street) from Broader Performance. Or get a completely modified C4 from them with a manual valve body for $850. (use your bellhousing and supply a converter) The Broader C4 is built for up to 500 HP so it should be great for any 302 not running nitrous. Jay, the proprietor can supply converters with any stall you need at a very good price. You should run a large cooler with any modified C4.
He did suggest a place in his above post with link -http://www.broaderperformance.com/

I think your shortest route would be as Paul suggested and just get a built C4 and whatever converter they suggest for the type of driving you plan to do, give them a call and they will discuss. Otherwise you'll have to piecemeal it as Paul also noted by upgrading yours with a later valve body and transgo kit, this way is cheaper but you're still using your old C4 vs. new purpose built.
Jon
Unread 09-22-2010   #15 (permalink)
rj8806 is offline Site Sponsor

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

rj8806's Country Flag  View rj8806's 16 photos  View rj8806's HomePage
Knoxville   Tennessee
rj8806 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The T5 swap is by far the cheapest and easiest as far as switching from automatic over to manual goes. The T5 is smaller than the TKO and both the T5 and TKO are smaller than the T56 6-speeds.

With a TKO prepped by us, the only modification you have to do to the car is to massage the stiffener rib that runs from the drivers side floor pan, through the tunnel, over to the passenger side floor pan. Where that ribs goes through the peak of the tunnel, you have to massage about a 6" section of it for the top access covers of the TKO to clear it. There is no actual cutting of the tunnel though.

The T56 requires the use of adjustable engine mounts and cross member as well as the massaging of the rib in order to fit without cutting.

If you'd like more info on a swap to a 5-speed, PM me. We are site sponsors on here and have been doing these conversions for almost 10 years now. We have it down to a science. :hihi:
American Powertrain
A Tremec Elite Distributor
TKO, T45, 3650, T5 & T56 Transmission Systems
2199 Summerfield Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506 (931) 646-4836
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162