Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 09-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
IrwinMaverick is offline Rookie

Classic Member

IrwinMaverick's Country Flag
Waco   Texas
IrwinMaverick is on a distinguished road
Default Blueprint engines?

I have a 66 Mustang that im wanting to put a 302 in. After a lot of research it seems that Blueprint Engines may be the way to go. They offer a decent price and a very very nice warranty. Does anyone here have any comments about Blueprint? Are they a good company? Anyone ever deal with them for your cars? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010   #2 (permalink)
smittycm is offline Rookie

Classic Member

smittycm's Country Flag  View smittycm's 2 photos
Vista   California
smittycm is on a distinguished road

I have no direct experience with them as I've never purchased one of their products before, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I did the exact same thing you're doing and did a little research. Blueprint engines used to be called another company (can't recall at this time) and they had generally poor reviews. All you usually hear about online though is bad reviews for the most part. On a good note, I didn't find a ton of comments regarding their engines, which I sort of consider a good thing. If someone is really terrible, I usually have no problem finding a TON of forum comments saying to stay away.

I didn't want a complete turn-key engine myself. I went through a vendor I found online called enginesdirect. Enginesdirect.com I believe. They were fantastic. I got a '68 302 long block shipped to my door in VA for $1399+$100 core charge. $1499 TOTAL, and that included return shipping on my core also. I put my intake, carb, and accessories on that I pulled from my 289, dropped in my dizzy, and she cranked right over in the first 10 seconds. I set the timing, tuned the carb, and haven't had an issue with the motor since. That was only 850 miles ago, but I couldn't be happier.

They include a 3 year/100000 mile warranty, they guy has sold thousands of SBF's with 100% feedback, it only took them 4 business days to get me my motor, and I got a real English speaking person on the line every time I called. In fact, the guy's name is Steve, and he was the one who answered every time. I called once to ask questions, once to place the order, and once to call for the truck to get my core return.

My car is a daily driver. I only wanted something reliable and didn't care much for performance. I don't expect to find quality race parts in my motor, not for that price. Your mileage may vary. If you want a performance motor with all high-quality name brand parts, then you're probably better off going with a local builder. Since you mentioned you were looking at a Blueprint engine, I offered you up my experience with enginesdirect.com.

1966 Mustang Coupe
V8 289
C4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-20-2010   #3 (permalink)

Classic Member

Waco   Texas

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out that place you mentioned. Once again thank you!

Pete
Unread 09-21-2010   #4 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag  View Lizer's 10 photos
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Are you wanting a crate motor that is drop in and ready to go? I only saw a 347 and 408 offered on their website. Do you know if they actually make a 302. I got my long block from Hiperformer, which is actually S&J engines (Supplier of remanufactured/rebuilt car engines, marine and truck engines for GM, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep). While I haven't actually run the motor yet, I was nothing short of impressed with my experience with them. They offered a 70,000 mile/7 year warranty and complete your build in 5 business days, and will customize it however you want with whatever parts you want. They have the lowest advertised failure rate in the industry as well. But it's only a long block meaning it comes with complete block and heads. You'd need to add intake, oil pan, and everything else to it which may not be practical if you don't have an old 289 or 302 sitting around like I did.
Unread 09-21-2010   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member

Waco   Texas

Yes. They offer a 302 that is ready to go. I called them yesterday and asked them all the details. I believe for a 302 that is ready to roll it was about $4800. But now after reading both of yalls reply, the warranty blueprint offers is crap. I may have to check out those others places. Im far from the stage of getting an engine. Im taking the stang to the body shop tomorrow to get an estimate on body work. Thank you for your reply. This is something that I want A LOT of info on before committing. Thats a lot of money to drop on something im not so sure of.
Unread 09-22-2010   #6 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag  View Lizer's 10 photos
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

A standard 302 long block from Hiperformer is $1200. And I was wrong, it's 100,000 mile warranty, not 70,000. Mine had performance modifications so it was only a 70,000 mile warranty.
Unread 09-22-2010   #7 (permalink)
andrewmp6 is offline Top Dog

andrewmp6's Country Flag
Louisville   Kentucky
andrewmp6 is on a distinguished road

Places like auto zone most will sell you a rebuild stock 302 with a nice warranty.If i was me i would find a local engine builder and take a bare block to him.
Unread 09-22-2010   #8 (permalink)
dlinebar is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

dlinebar's Country Flag  View dlinebar's 7 photos  View dlinebar's HomePage
Columbia   Maryland
dlinebar is on a distinguished road
Default Engines

I had the same question a few years ago and did a complete review of several companies. U ultimately got a re-maunfactured long block with a full 5 year 100,000 mile warranty...I will try and cut and paste the spreadsheet I put together here comparing the number of new parts, warranties, prices...etc if you cannot read it this is a link to it:

Dan's 69 Mustang restoration - Engine selection, Seat Pan

This was a few years ago so the prices are a little dated but as a price comparison it should due to see who is cheaper etc......

Vendor
Cost
Warranty
Parts list
Notes
Power Pro
http://www.powerpro2000.com/

$1195 + $160
Core Charge
$0 Shipping
Total $1355

5 year, 100,000 mile Full parts and labor
New parts:
Pistons, rings, timing parts, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, cam shaft, push rods, rocker arms, valve springs, oil pump

Remanufactured Parts:
Head, block.

This is the one I picked. Best warranty, good references on web, most new parts.
ATK
http://www.atkengines.com/

$1139 + $195
Core Charge + shipping
Total $1478

3 year, unlimited mile Full parts and labor
New parts:
Pistons, rings, timing parts, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, push rods, rocker arms, oil pump

Remanufactured Parts:
Head, block, valve springs, cam shaft (maybe new).

Close call with Power pro - good web search references, ATK and Power pro actually sell each other engines, both are good.
Mid-Atlantic (PAPA Auto Parts)
http://www.midatlanticengines.com/

$1490 + $60
Core Charge + tax
Total $1624

3 year, 120,000 mile Parts only for self installer, parts and labor for pro shop install
New parts:
Pistons, rings, timing parts, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, push rods, oil pump

Remanufactured Parts:
Head, block, valve springs, rocker arms, cam shaft (maybe new).

Good Web and local references, expensive for local guy to buy direct and not through parts shop.
Precision Engine
Rebuilt Engines - Precision Engine Rebuilders

$739 + $165
Core Charge + shipping $250 each way ($500)
Total $1239

1 year, unlimited mile Full parts and labor
New parts:
Pistons, rings, timing parts, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, push rods, oil pump

Remanufactured Parts:
Head, block, rocker arms, valve springs, cam shaft (maybe new).

If I lived near Texas I would have used these guys. Very good web references, BEST PRICE, The $250 shipping each way killed it though. Also they were the only one that would re-manufacture MY core and send it back to me to keep numbers matching. If it was not for the shipping I would have used these guys, very easy to deal with on phone.
Recon Engines (Advanced Auto parts)
reconengines.com

$1052 + $175
Core Charge + tax
Total $1275

3 year, 36,000 mile full parts and labor
New parts:

Remanufactured Parts:
Head, block, rocker arms, valve springs, cam shaft.

The price is right, but tax kills it. Recon standard engines had both good and bad web references.
Recon Xtream Engines (Advanced Auto parts)
reconengines.com

$1414 + $175
Core Charge + tax
Total $1644

At least 3 year, 36,000 mile full parts and labor I think it was more but I did not write it down.
New parts:
Pistons, rings, timing parts, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, push rods, oil pump, rocker arms, valve springs, cam shaft.

Remanufactured Parts:
Head, block

I listed Recon twice as they have a special engine called the Xtream. It is hot run dyno tested, you get the dyno report and it comes with tins. Good web references on this engine, lots of new parts
Unread 09-22-2010   #9 (permalink)
Notalent is offline Rookie

Notalent's Country Flag  View Notalent's HomePage
DFW/LBC   Texas
Notalent is on a distinguished road

You cant beat ATK ;-) if you need any help let me know.

Brandon

Custom built Street-Strip-Racing Engines!
Unread 09-22-2010   #10 (permalink)
dlinebar is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

dlinebar's Country Flag  View dlinebar's 7 photos  View dlinebar's HomePage
Columbia   Maryland
dlinebar is on a distinguished road
Default Yea

Hard to tell from the cut paste above but I actually bought a PowerPro engine and ATK was a close second. In reality ATK and Power Pro get engines from one another from what I found out so they must be real close or the same in quality to one another.....

Dan
Unread 09-22-2010   #11 (permalink)
Notalent is offline Rookie

Notalent's Country Flag  View Notalent's HomePage
DFW/LBC   Texas
Notalent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinebar View Post
Hard to tell from the cut paste above but I actually bought a PowerPro engine and ATK was a close second. In reality ATK and Power Pro get engines from one another from what I found out so they must be real close or the same in quality to one another.....

Dan
Semi correct.... We "ATK" are the largest engine remanufacturer in the nation. Power Pro is a customer of ours, we do not buy from them. So you most likely did get an ATK Engine . Many companys purchase from us Private Label and rename our engines.

If I can help with anything, feel free to shoot me a pm.

BTW nice ride!

Custom built Street-Strip-Racing Engines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172