Ballast resistor or re-use old coil wire? - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
 
tomccabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Kailua
Posts: 90
 
Ballast resistor or re-use old coil wire?

I rewired my 1967 mustang with a new harness from Painless and the instructions say to connect the wire between the ignition switch and coil to a "ballast resistor". I checked some older threads and see that the original wire from the ignition to coil was a resistor wire that added an ohm or two of resistance, but there was no ballast resistor in the original design. I assume since Painless refers to it that the wire furnished with their harness is not a resistor wire.

My question is does some parts supplier sell such a resistor? I don't see one in NPD or Cal Mustang. Do I need to salvage my old harness to get the old wire? What will happen if I connect the coil direct from the ignition?


1967 Mustang Coupe
135,893 Original Miles
___________________

"All progress results from the unreasonable man."

- G. B. Shaw
tomccabe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010
Rookie
 
echo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Surprise
Posts: 15
 
If you do not use a ballast resistor you will set the coil on fire.. that is a nasty event..

You can find ballast resistors HERE.
You will have to call and find the correct one for your model.



Good luck

echo is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
 
tomccabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Kailua
Posts: 90
 
Any suggestions about where the ballast resister should be mounted? I would appreciate any advice from someone who has installed one of these.

1967 Mustang Coupe
135,893 Original Miles
___________________

"All progress results from the unreasonable man."

- G. B. Shaw
tomccabe is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010
Apprentice
 
pickupman250's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: enfield
Posts: 220
 
mine is right next to my coil on the firewall. how was that painless kit to install?

1967 coupe, 302, in progress
there is not problem to big or to small that cant be solved by the use of high explosives
U.S.M.C. 1371
pickupman250 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
 
Explorer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Raphine
Posts: 1,239
 
The original resistor wire was 60" long and 1.4ohms. Any NAPA dealer should have the ballast resistor. Mounting location is a pain as it puts off heat on the open backside and needs to be kept dry.

66 Coupe 200ci (Back under restoration)
Explorer is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010
GT Member
 
Joes72/65's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Imperial Beach
Posts: 1,461
 
NPD has the resister wire you need; it is P/N 12250-1.

Joe
'65 Coupe, 302, Autolite 4100, C4, 2.80
'72 Grande, 351C, Motorcraft 2100, FMX, 2.75
Joes72/65 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010
Apprentice
 
ic237's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sunrise
Posts: 206
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomccabe View Post
I rewired my 1967 mustang with a new harness from Painless and the instructions say to connect the wire between the ignition switch and coil to a "ballast resistor". I checked some older threads and see that the original wire from the ignition to coil was a resistor wire that added an ohm or two of resistance, but there was no ballast resistor in the original design. I assume since Painless refers to it that the wire furnished with their harness is not a resistor wire.

My question is does some parts supplier sell such a resistor? I don't see one in NPD or Cal Mustang. Do I need to salvage my old harness to get the old wire? What will happen if I connect the coil direct from the ignition?
Why not just upgrade the ignition system and remove the points. Pertronix sells a killer kit when paired with their coil. You wont have to bother with mounting and drilling a resistor in place. The ride runs better too..
ic237 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
 
Ivy66GT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 7,009
 
The ballast resistors sold by both NPD and NAPA are pink wires that are 5 feet long. There is no drilling and no getting hot problems just like there wasn't any with the original pink resistor wires.
Ivy66GT is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
 
tomccabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Kailua
Posts: 90
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman250 View Post
mine is right next to my coil on the firewall. how was that painless kit to install?
The painless kit has been pretty good. Every wire is numbered and most have the termination lug already attached. There is a good set of instructions broken down by each section, and it includes a table that lists every wire, where it starts, and where it ends.

I got mine online through Summit, which was cheaper than going straight to Painless. It's still pretty pricey at about $700. But in the end basically every wire in the car is replaced.

It's still takes a lot of time and effort to do the replacement. Some tight spaces under the dash. But it was way easier than I thought it might be and now my electrical system is no longer a mystery to me like it was before I did it.

1967 Mustang Coupe
135,893 Original Miles
___________________

"All progress results from the unreasonable man."

- G. B. Shaw
tomccabe is offline  
Apprentice
 
ic237's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sunrise
Posts: 206
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomccabe View Post
The painless kit has been pretty good. Every wire is numbered and most have the termination lug already attached. There is a good set of instructions broken down by each section, and it includes a table that lists every wire, where it starts, and where it ends.

I got mine online through Summit, which was cheaper than going straight to Painless. It's still pretty pricey at about $700. But in the end basically every wire in the car is replaced.

It's still takes a lot of time and effort to do the replacement. Some tight spaces under the dash. But it was way easier than I thought it might be and now my electrical system is no longer a mystery to me like it was before I did it.
How did go as far as going from the cab to the engine compartment. Were you able to reuse the knock outs that the original harness passed through or Did you plug them up?
ic237 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
 
tomccabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Kailua
Posts: 90
 
I used the original holes in the firewall. Painless provides two replacement grommets and they both worked well -- one for the "headlight" harness that is the main harness down the driver side of the engine compartment and one for the "engine" harness that goes to the neutral switch and coil. There is a third penetration with the heater / blower wires that they did not provide a grommet for, but I reused the original grommet with no problem.

1967 Mustang Coupe
135,893 Original Miles
___________________

"All progress results from the unreasonable man."

- G. B. Shaw
tomccabe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome