Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
macgeek is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

macgeek's Country Flag  View macgeek's HomePage
Eastside   Washington
macgeek is on a distinguished road
Default 1968 289 Running Rough, Decreased Power, Low Vacuum. Ideas?

Just a few days after I fixed my distributor problem and got my timing set to 10 BTDC, my pony started having problems again. The symptoms: running rough, decreased power, and low vacuum.

What I've already checked while diagnosing the problem: timing and mechanical advance (since I worked on those recently), vacuum advance, spark plugs, idle speed, fuel/air mixture.

My first thought was the ignition module, since I just put a Duraspark and module from Pull A Part. I thought maybe it was starting to give out (I know electronic issues typically fail completely or not at all, but it was worth a shot). I was given an HEI module to use down the road, so it cost me nothing to swap that in and see if it helped, but the problem persists.

My next thought was fuel/air mixture. It felt like it was either running a bit rich or a bit lean when I gave it gas; it has some hesitation along with running rough and decreased power when I hit the gas. So I played with the fuel/air mixture (it's a Holley 2bbl) while I had a vacuum gauge hooked up. At first, the vacuum was down as low as 10", and it wasn't sounding too good. Now I've read that to adjust fuel/air mixture you turn the screws all the way in, then back out 1-1/2 turns. But when I turned the screws all the way in, before backing out 1-1/2 turns, the vacuum jumped up to around 15" (see picture) and the engine sounded much better. That seems way too lean to me! And it's still not ideal vacuum.

I was running about 18" of vacuum before this. I've checked all the vacuum lines I can find, and plugging them doesn't seem to make a difference. Any other ideas of what to check?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
1968 289 Running Rough, Decreased Power, Low Vacuum. Ideas?-dsc01096.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
rex1965 is offline MACH I Member

Classic Member

rex1965's Country Flag  View rex1965's 2 photos
Pittsburg   Kansas
rex1965 is on a distinguished road

Adjust the idle mixture screws for the highest smooth idle, I usually adjust one in until the engine starts to lope, then back it out until it smooths out, then back it out 1/4 turn more, then do the other mixture screw the same way. I would say from what you are describing, the power valve has gone bad or the cork gaskets have started leaking inside, holley's are bad about this if they set too long and don't have gas in them. Good Luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-03-2011   #3 (permalink)
Print Dad is offline MACH I Member

Classic Member

Print Dad's Country Flag  View Print Dad's 4 photos
Medford   Massachusetts
Print Dad is on a distinguished road

Hello macgeek.
U think rex may have this nailed BUt I like to check the simple things.

Try
1. -Check the 4 mounting screws for the carb see if they are tight
2. - Did you check vac with the advavne line blocked?

Where are you pulling the readings from?

Print Dad
Unread 02-04-2011   #4 (permalink)

Classic Member

Eastside   Washington

I talked with another gearhead friend of mine and he suspected the carb as well, so I decided to rebuild the carb, replacing the power valve in the process. My carb is currently in pieces on the workbench

Sorry, Print Dad, I didn't see your post before I started rebuilding, so I didn't check the mounting screws beforehand. But I did check the vacuum with the vacuum advance line plugged when I was running tests before, and it didn't seem to affect anything.

Thanks guys! I'll post back with results once I get the carb put back together.
Unread 02-05-2011   #5 (permalink)
PaulS is offline Made Member

PaulS's Country Flag
Seattle   Washington
PaulS is on a distinguished road

Why would fixing the distributor mess up the carb?

I would double check the work you already did.
rebuilt, rewired, modified for slalom and hill climb
No racing - just a fun car built by and for me.
Project in process
Unread 02-08-2011   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member

Eastside   Washington

Well, I'm at a loss. I got the carb rebuilt and installed, set the wet float level, idle speed, and fuel/air mixture, and... same problem

My vacuum is still much too low, and I don't know what else to check at this point. I double-checked the carb mounting nuts to make sure they were tight after reinstalling. All vacuum ports are blocked or being used.

One thing I did notice, I gained around 2", maybe more, of vacuum when I kinked the PCV hose. What could that mean? (side note: I'm pretty sure the guy at the auto parts store gave me the wrong kind of hose for the PCV line... I think he gave me a heater hose, and oil condensates on the outside).

My other thought is this: could an exhaust leak cause the vacuum to drop? I'm pretty sure I have at least one leak in my rusty pipes, and if that could cause vacuum issues, it's possible the hole got bigger recently or something.

Thanks guys! Hope I can get this figured out soon...
Unread 02-09-2011   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

Medford   Massachusetts

Hello macgeek,
I ma certain you know that motors are like an orchestra.
All the parts need to be working in harmony.

FIRST - -get rid of the PVC hose you got. Get the right one. Take the PVC to the parts store and get one that is SNUG on the fitting.
THIS IS VERY Important. You now have a major vacuum leak if the hose is a heater hose. THIS IS A MUST

After changing the hose - -readjust the carb like you normally would. Start at 1 and 1/2 turns out from a gentle seat.

Then see what the vac reading is. We will go from there

You CAN do this. Print DAD
Unread 02-09-2011   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

Eastside   Washington

Thanks for the encouragement, Print Dad

I bought a new PCV hose today. The guy at the parts store said heater hoses will deteriorate, and got me a Weatherhead hose to replace it. He said it should last a lot longer.

So after installing that, I checked my timing again, then readjusted the carb, setting the idle speed and fuel mixture. I managed to get the vacuum up to about 18" (first picture), so I thought, this is good, I solved the problem!

Then I turned off the engine, disconnected my timing light, made sure the distributor was tight, and cleaned stuff up, since I wanted to take it for a drive to check how the power was. But I decided to do one more check before I drove her, so I started her up again with just the vacuum gauge hooked up, and the vacuum was back down to 15"! (second picture).

Still suspicious of the PCV system, I tried pulling the hose and blocked the valve with my thumb (third picture), and behold! My vacuum jumped up to around 17" (fourth picture).

Any ideas? The PCV grommet on the valve cover is pretty new, but that could be the culprit. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to check.

Thanks so much everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
1968 289 Running Rough, Decreased Power, Low Vacuum. Ideas?-dsc01283.jpg  1968 289 Running Rough, Decreased Power, Low Vacuum. Ideas?-dsc01296.jpg  1968 289 Running Rough, Decreased Power, Low Vacuum. Ideas?-dsc01298.jpg  1968 289 Running Rough, Decreased Power, Low Vacuum. Ideas?-dsc01297.jpg  
Unread 02-09-2011   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

Medford   Massachusetts

Hello macgeek,
This is ODD for sure.

I know you have set the timing with the light - -NOW I think it may be time to try
to set it by ear.

What I would try is this - -
Take a marker and mark the base of the dizzy so you know where the setting is at now. Use a fine tip marker for a cleaner mark.
Now loosen the dizzy and turn the distributor just a little clockwise. This will advance the timing say to about 12-14 BTDC. Some motors like more advance. Keep the vacuum gage hooker up and see how the vacuum does. also listen to the motor, I am thinking it should pick up the rpms.
If this doesn't have much affect on the vacuum - then I would put the dizzy back to the line you originally had which is 10 BTDC.

Next - - we gotta search to see if there is a vacuum leak. Two ways to do this.
Because you have a vac gage, I would mix some soapy water and spray it around the bas of the carb and the intake manifold. See if the vacuum rises.

The other method is to spray a carb cleaner at those areas as the motor is running.
AN increase in idle speed indicates a leak. The carb cleaner will eat paint so use just a little.

THIS IS ODD - -Let's try those few things and then we will go from there.

If you do advance the timing - -make sure she is not pinging. This would indicate she is too far advanced.

I will try to think of the next step

HAng in there - -this will get fixed I am sure.

Print DAD - -
Unread 02-10-2011   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member

Eastside   Washington

Thanks, Print Dad. I adjusted my timing up to 14 BTDC, and noticed a slight increase in vacuum (~1", I believe).

I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake manifold and didn't notice any change in vacuum. I sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the carb and it seemed to have a very slight, brief effect on the vacuum. I sprayed it down the throat of the carb and the vacuum went up a good deal, and the engine sounded smoother for a second. Previously (a while ago, prior to this problem and the carb rebuild) when I did this, it seemed to bog down the engine a little bit, but now it seems to have the opposite effect. I sprayed it around the front bowl on the carb while covering the air intake, and noticed another brief increase in vacuum.

So I shut off the car and tightened everything down really tight: the nuts on the carb mounting bolts, the front bowl screws, and the accelerator pump screws. After starting the car back up, spraying some more carb cleaner down the throat, and revving the engine, the vacuum was up to 18-19" and the car sounded really good. I took it for a test drive and I had all my power back. Good news!

But then! I parked the car and let it sit for maybe 20 minutes, got some food, and then took it out again, and it was running noticeably worse again It really seems like a carb issue still, so maybe it's just time for a new carb. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone for your help getting this figured out!
Unread 02-20-2011   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member

Eastside   Washington

So I need to take another look at her, but she's still having problems. I can't afford a new carburetor and intake manifold right now, so I'm hoping there's a simpler fix I can do in the mean time. Any ideas of other things I can try?

Thanks again!
Unread 02-20-2011   #12 (permalink)

Classic Member

Medford   Massachusetts

Hello macgeek,
I have what may sound like a foolish suggestion but I think it is worth a try.

Get a bottle of stable and add it to the tank as directed on the label.

Also - -try using some high test from another gas station.

It seems as though when you spray into the carb - the vac gets better.

Perhaps you just need a better fuel.

I know it is likely a carb issue but try the gas can't hurt.

I would run the tank low and then try to add at least 1/2 tank of high test.

Gas today is just not very good. I always run a high grade gas BUt like most of us you may be getting the gas from the same station all the time.
It is possible they have an issue with their tanks.

Worth a try

print Dad
Unread 02-22-2011   #13 (permalink)
Couped Up is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

Couped Up's Country Flag
Monroe   Washington
Couped Up is on a distinguished road

Does your problem seem to disappear, once the motor warms up? Do you have a power brake booster?

'68 J code, 4 speed
Unread 03-06-2011   #14 (permalink)
bigtoed is offline Rookie

Classic Member

bigtoed's Country Flag
Castroville   California
bigtoed is on a distinguished road

Along those lines, is the choke off and engine warm when setting the timing? What is the idle rpm? Just for grins clean the pcv valve with carb cleaner, the pcv valve should close at high vacuum.
Unread 03-27-2011   #15 (permalink)

Classic Member

Eastside   Washington

Alright, well I've been out of work but I finally got a job and can get back on this project!

After priming the carb, she started up just fine today after sitting the garage for a while.

Print Dad, I bought some Sea Foam and filled up with premium Shell gas. She already seems to be running a little better with that

However, I still have low vacuum, around 15-16". Still can't track that down.

Couped Up, the vacuum problem does not go away when it's warmed up, and I do not have power brakes.

bigtoed, yes, I set the timing with the choke off (open/pushed in) and the engine warm. Idle RPM is about 600. I will clean the PCV valve in the next day or so to make sure that's not the problem, thanks!

So any other ideas as to what is causing this or what I can check? I'm planning on bringing the car over to my grandpa's this week. Maybe two heads under the hood and some significantly more experience can figure this out

Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162