Ford Mustang Forum banner

1964 1/2 Mustang VIN data

142K views 240 replies 106 participants last post by  Tony 64 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello. :) Here is the data on 64 1/2 Dearborn cars that I've been collecting. If you have an early Dearborn car, and don't have an original door tag on it, just scroll down the list until you find a batch of cars with sequential numbers ( the last six digits) that are close to yours, and that will give you a good idea of about when your car was supposed to have been built. As you will notice, the cars aren't in strict sequence, and what you are doing is making a guess, based on when other cars were built. Again, it is merely an estimate that you are making, but, this list will give you the information to make the best guess possible. And, who knows? Maybe your car is actually on the list. Probably not, but, it never hurts to check. I would like to thank Pete Bush for going through the trouble of providing data from his copy of the Mustang Production Guide, Vol I to me. This increased my data by nearly 40%, which was a huge help. I really, really appreciate his doing that for me. :)
Please feel free to download this, print it, link to it, whatever you want to do, as long as you don't try to charge anyone anything for the information. I'm throwing it out there for free, and I expect everyone else to do the same. Life is a team sport. :) I'll be posting the rest of the 65/66 VIN data that I have as I type it into a sensible, readable format. :)

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks Veronica. My 5R08U100420 was not on the list, but just out of curiosity have you or anyone else seen a San Jose car with a lower VIN that is still being driven?

#239 ·
My fathers Car was #6 off the San Jose factory line it is up in Canada, Original owner lived in Oregon and was a Vietnam soldier he drove it and then went to war and never came back to drive it again. My father found it in the soldiers fathers cow pasture and brought it up to Canada in the 1980’s and restored it.

#6 ·
Hello Veronica

Hello Veronica,
I lost any words....just: You are GREAT Veronica :bigthumbsup:worship:wavey!
May You provide me what´s the origin of this Dearborn and San Jose lists? It was copy of some FoMoCo evidence?
What a supprise, when I have find my previous ´64 Mustang VIN number at the Dearborn list. I leave this unicorn (bought from the Mrs.Linda Madelyne Kaake, from Imlay City, MI ) to my great local Mustang friend about one year ago.
Now I cry...:kooky: .
However, I have find some curiosity:
That ´64 Mustang was # 5F07F121394.
I have found some record of this car at the list...what the puzzle it is: At the Dearborn list stay: 5F07D121394.
I guess cant exist two Mustangs with the same serial number ...??? Do You have any explanation?
And the curiosity follow with Axle and Trans codes. The list say different than was stamped at the original door VIN tag - please check the attached photos.
Thank You for any explanation.
Cheers,

Attachments

#7 ·
Hello. :) The information is a collection from a bunch of different places, none of which are straight from Ford. :nogrinner. Obviously, that original door tag and VIN stamping on the car is correct, and someone gave their car a promotion. I will fix the list to reflect this. Sometimes people don't tell the truth. :D And, thank you very much for pointing this out to me. :)

#10 ·
I'm trying to learn about my Vin and being it's a 64.5 its kind of a dead end. From the Dearborn list and the San Jose I get nothing. My first 5 numbers/letters are 5FO7V abd and it's the V that seems to not show up. Any help? I've owned the car since '71. Father sold it new to the previous owner. I know the car very well except for the Vin.

#13 ·
I've got a problem now, what rhymes with V? D Apparently when the car was licensed when I bought it in June 1971 someone inserted V not D. Sound the same and I wouldn't have a clue on how it happened. I was 16 so more than likely my father licensed it although it's in my name. I still have the original title from '71. Looks like I'll be talking to the DMV pretty soon. Sorry for the confusion.

#15 ·
Ashamed to admit I've owned the car since June of '71 and this Vin number mistake first was notice now. All is going to be ok, talked with DOT and they are sending out a form to be filled out by an officer and sent back to DOT with verification from officer of actual number verses number on title. Seems simple enough. Thanks for your help here. I think I'll go and stick my head in the sand now in shame.

#18 ·
Looking for info on my 1965

Veronica,

Any info on later Dearborn. I have a convertible with serial number 5F08A806648

It has the black pony interior with wooden steering wheel. Looks like it was originally red in colour.

When it was restored years before I bought it the door tag went missing.

I'd like to replace the door tag with the correct info.

#20 ·
Veronica, this is an impressive effort! I notice that there are no T code VINs (6-cyl) in the list. My Dearborn built 6-cyl (5F08T254456) was built on or around August 4, 1964, a few days late from being a "64 1/2." Were 6-cyl Mustangs produced at Dearborn prior to August 1, 1964?

Thanks

#21 ·
Hi, Wade. :) There were a lot of 64 1/2 six cylinder Mustangs, but, they were the 170 cid, 'U' code motor. It was a solid lifter, 5 bearing motor, instead of the hydraulic lifter, 7 bearing 'T' code 200 cid 'T' code. And, yes, it did clatter a bit. :gringreen

#22 ·
Stupid me....I didn't even stop to think that the 170 engine code was different from the 200. Thanks for once again setting me straight!:bigthumbsup

#26 ·
Hi Veronica here are my door tag details I am not on the list but would like to be and keep up the good work.

5F08D 136686

76 P 89 14E 44 1 6