Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-23-2011   #1 (permalink)
spic21 is offline Apprentice

spic21's Country Flag
Albany   Louisiana
spic21 is on a distinguished road
Default 1966 mustang suspension upgrade

I have a 1966 mustang coupe that i am restoring. Before i get to far into this, i want everyone to know that this will be my daily driver when complete. it has no power brakes or steering. so i want to upgrade the brake to power disc(this is easy and i have already help my friends do his 65 fastback). so my question is suspension and steering. i have looked at a lot of options here and would like to get some opinions on best way to go for the money. here are the options ive been looking at please if i missing one please fill me in.

coil over- i really like this but $2500 seems alittle steep for what you get but does mount into factory location

mustang II- about the same price as coil over but this would also give me rack in pinion steering, but this would be a real job to install(cutting out shock towers, welding in new front end,ext) and ive never done it before.

lower kit by i think its (global something) dont have my magazine with me- this is cheapest opinion ive found comes with front and rear shocks new coil for front, bushings, and sway bar. might be missing a little here but again i dont have my magazine. total is under $600

i have also looked at the shelby drop that was done on 1965 GT350's- dont have a lot on this, only one article from mustang monthy

now a know that most will say mustang II to is the best, then coil over. but my question is how big of a difference are we talking about(how noticeable for almost $2000 more). im not building a track car it just a daily driver with a little extra power. i just want a good driving car that i will be happy with everyday i get in it. so im sure mustang II is best but how big a difference from just lowering it a little and putting global kit on it. but i do want to do this right the first time.

next would be steering. again mustang II has this already in kit. im pretty sure i want to go with rack in pinion but dont know which one or if i should go manual or power.

i would love some input here from people that have done this or have driven cars with the different setups. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2011   #2 (permalink)
danielf is offline PONY Member

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona
danielf is on a distinguished road

Now your going have people tell you this is just a stock suspspesion
system with stiffer shocks or something...no, its not. Its alot stiffer the the factory stuff but not harsh by any means. below is a pis of how it sits. Ive got the factory sized 14" wheels/tires but when you looks at in person teh tires sit just underneith the wheel wells so its lower but doenst look like lowrider.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965-66-Street-Heat-Suspension-Kit.html

I cant tell you how AWSOME it handles and rides. It probably feels better or on par with my old Roush Mustang i had did. NO JOKE! Nice thing is its all in one package so you dont have to hunt for and buy parts seperately. IF you want a rake, then you would still have to do the shelby drop or just get the different rear leafs.
Attached Thumbnails
1966 mustang suspension upgrade-copy-dsc00442.jpg  
1966 Mustang 2+2, 289 c code/c4, Edel 600cfm/performer carb, intake/spacer,Comp XE250H Cam, pertronix igintor w/ coil, tri-y headers, dual factory 2"exhaust w/ H-pipe, flex fan, UDP's, windage tray, Grab-a-track Suspension, B&M shift kit, 2.80 w/track lock diff.

2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Prerunner
2006 Nissan Sentra (wifes' car)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-23-2011   #3 (permalink)

spic21's Country Flag
Albany   Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Now your going have people tell you this is just a stock suspspesion
system with stiffer shocks or something...no, its not. Its alot stiffer the the factory stuff but not harsh by any means. below is a pis of how it sits. Ive got the factory sized 14" wheels/tires but when you looks at in person teh tires sit just underneith the wheel wells so its lower but doenst look like lowrider.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965-66-Street-Heat-Suspension-Kit.html

I cant tell you how AWSOME it handles and rides. It probably feels better or on par with my old Roush Mustang i had did. NO JOKE! Nice thing is its all in one package so you dont have to hunt for and buy parts seperately. IF you want a rake, then you would still have to do the shelby drop or just get the different rear leafs.
thats pretty much the lowering kit that i had looked at. i do want a rake but shelby drop seems pretty easy to do. so your saying that you are very happy with this kit? how was the installation?
Unread 03-24-2011   #4 (permalink)
Jonk67 is offline GT Member

Classic Member
S197 Member

Jonk67's Country Flag  View Jonk67's 1 photo
Smyrna   Tennessee
Jonk67 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest you read this article and consider upgrading the stock suspension with improved parts - roller perches, roller idler arm, 1" Shelby/Arning drop, 1" sway bar, etc.
DazeCars, Suspension 101

You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a really good driving experience.
Jon
Unread 03-24-2011   #5 (permalink)
andrewmp6 is offline Top Dog

andrewmp6's Country Flag
Louisville   Kentucky
andrewmp6 is on a distinguished road

A mustang 2 is the worse thing you can do,The spindles have anckerman the springs are shorter so are the a arms which means rougher ride.If you just want a smooth ride and good handling the oem stuff with a few upgrades is good.If you want rack and pinion it can be added easy.
Unread 03-24-2011   #6 (permalink)

spic21's Country Flag
Albany   Louisiana

thanks for all the input so far. i have tried responding but my for some reasons my post are not posting. i think mustang 2 is out. i read that article it was very informative, thank you. im leaning towards the lowering kit. the one i was talking about is just like the kit that danielf posted. i would like to have better handling a little more than just comfort.

as far as steering goes what are yalls opinions on steering. im looking at rack in pinion but im trying to decide if i want to try and add power. i know when driving its no big deal but im worried about parking a thing of that nature. do yall believe that its worth the money and if so what are some setup you have used. thank again
Unread 03-24-2011   #7 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by spic21 View Post
thanks for all the input so far. i have tried responding but my for some reasons my post are not posting. i think mustang 2 is out. i read that article it was very informative, thank you. im leaning towards the lowering kit. the one i was talking about is just like the kit that danielf posted. i would like to have better handling a little more than just comfort.
Then a kit like what i posted is what you want. There are a handful of kits like that out there but that is just the one that i run. My car isnt very powerful but she can get out of her own way. This suspension really does tighten up the feel. My buddy just bought a 2011 Mini Cooper. That car in "sport" mode can take the corners pretty darn quick. With this new setup on the car, im not too far behind. The nice thing again about the kits like these is that everything you need is there, no hunting and trying make sure you match up the right parts. Either way you go, good luck and let us know what you do and how it rides.
1966 Mustang 2+2, 289 c code/c4, Edel 600cfm/performer carb, intake/spacer,Comp XE250H Cam, pertronix igintor w/ coil, tri-y headers, dual factory 2"exhaust w/ H-pipe, flex fan, UDP's, windage tray, Grab-a-track Suspension, B&M shift kit, 2.80 w/track lock diff.

Unread 03-24-2011   #8 (permalink)

spic21's Country Flag
Albany   Louisiana

i def will im currently replacing all the weather stripping and interior but suspension is next. i like it do as much research as possible before i buy anything. i like to see what people are using and how they feel about what they bought. so thank you again for the info.
Unread 03-24-2011   #9 (permalink)

danielf's Country Flag
Fort Mojave   Arizona

Exactly, ive been looking for a cam for this car for 2 years now, i ask teh same questions on alot of sights to see the different input and ideas. It is (for me) a very costly upgrade so i wanna make sure i do it right. I alsready blew THOUSANDS of dollars to do the rear end (trial and error) So i dont wanna make the same mistake with the internals. Take your time and see what best fist your needs and wants.

Unread 03-25-2011   #10 (permalink)
hunterdog57 is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

hunterdog57's Country Flag  View hunterdog57's 2 photos
Tulsa   Oklahoma
hunterdog57 is on a distinguished road

If it's your daily driver, I would go with the stock, manual steering. I have a 66 coupe with 215/65-15 tires and the steering is very light moving down the road. It takes a bit of effort at parking lot speed, but normal everyday driving is fine.
Unread 03-29-2011   #11 (permalink)
Cobra6 is offline GT Member

Classic Member

Cobra6's Country Flag  View Cobra6's HomePage
Tennessee Valley   Alabama
Cobra6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdog57 View Post
If it's your daily driver, I would go with the stock, manual steering. I have a 66 coupe with 215/65-15 tires and the steering is very light moving down the road. It takes a bit of effort at parking lot speed, but normal everyday driving is fine.
I would also add a roller idler arm and roller perches - this will help steering at parking lot speed -

You can get a roller idler here -
Opentracker Racing Products - Roller Idler Arms

And do the Arning drop too

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you haven't been trained properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162