Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 11-30-2011   #1 (permalink)
slmdlow is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

slmdlow's Country Flag
Fullerton   California
slmdlow is on a distinguished road
Exclamation I have a question on a flex plate?

Hello to all. I have a 86 5.0 that im instaling in a 67 mustang with a c4 trans. I have the flex plate for the 5.0 which is a 164 tooth 50oz. I also have the tork converter which has a 10.5" bolt patern. I have been traying to find a flex plate that will work with the aplication but with no luck. Any one that might have an input with my problem id apriciate some help. Its the key pece to the instalation of my power plant. Hoping to get the Pony runing before the end of the year.
I will atach some pictures of the parts I have.
Attached Thumbnails
I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0575.jpg  I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0576.jpg  I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0577.jpg  I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0578.jpg  I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0580.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011   #2 (permalink)
Couped Up is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

Couped Up's Country Flag
Monroe   Washington
Couped Up is on a distinguished road

Maybe this ill fit.....

Performance Automatic PA26461 Performance Automatic SFI Flexplates

'68 J code, 4 speed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 11-30-2011   #3 (permalink)

Classic Member

slmdlow's Country Flag
Fullerton   California

Thanks for the post couped up. Im not sure if it matters but the flex plate i have is a 164 tooth so im not sure if the 157 tooth one will work.
Unread 11-30-2011   #4 (permalink)
Explorer is offline GT Member

Classic Member

Explorer's Country Flag
Raphine   Virginia
Explorer is on a distinguished road

Wait for someone to confirm or deny this as I'm going off a feeble memory. I think you will need the 157t flexplate with the 67 C4 Mustang bell housing. I ran into this when I did a V8 Ranger swap a few years ago. I recollect the Mustang bell housing was smaller.
Unread 11-30-2011   #5 (permalink)
cindys_sn95 is offline Banned

cindys_sn95's Country Flag  View cindys_sn95's 7 photos
Gulfport   Mississippi
cindys_sn95 is on a distinguished road

i think you are right richard. the 157t/50oz.
Unread 11-30-2011   #6 (permalink)
The Greek is offline Senior Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

The Greek's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida
The Greek is on a distinguished road

The flexplate that you show in the photo is for use with the AOD or automatic overdrive transmission. The C4's flexplate is smaller in diameter. The flexplate that you need is an aftermarket piece only and was never used on a production Ford vehicle. You'll never find one in the scrap yard, so don't waste your time.

What you need for your C4 is a 10 1/2" (Torque Converter Bolt Pattern), 157 Tooth flexplate with a 50 ounce counterweight. Your torque converter bolt pattern will be correct for the new 50 Oz. flexplate.

There are several sources for them. Our forum has sponsors that can get one for you and probably with a member's discount. Summit Racing and Jegs are two mail order sources. Also any dealer of Ford Racing Performance parts as well as most vendors of Ford performance automatic transmissions will carry them, too.

Don't make the mistake of using a 10 1/2" 157 Tooth flexplate with a 28 ounce counterweight from the parts store. This will bolt right up, but because of having the wrong weight, will cause vibration and engine damage.

To mount the flexplate, I recommend using new mounting bolts, (Specifically for a flexplate. These bolts are shorter than those for a manual trans. flywheel.), bolts of good quality such as bolts from ARP. Use a good thread sealant that has a high resistance to oil and temperature. Always use the circular backing plate that goes between the flexplate and the mounting bolts. This plate helps to spread out the bolt clamping force and prevents flexplate cracking due to vibration or harmonics. If you don't have one, get one. It's important. Ask for one when getting the flexplate or get one from the Ford dealer or NAPA. They don't cost much.

F.Y.I. about your engine. If it still has the original pistons. The 1986 5.0 HO pistons were forged from the factory, but there are no valve reliefs cut in them. This was on the 1986 engine only. If you are changing the cylinder heads, don't forget to check the valve to piston clearance. The 86 only cyl. heads had a unique combustion chamber design which, it's said, isn't very good for performance because of the excessive valve shrouding. It seems that Ford picked 1986 as a design/testing year. This head was dropped from use in 87 on Mustang's 5.0 HO, as Ford went back to a more traditional combustion chamber as could be found on the 85 and then 87 and up 5.0 HO.

I've personally done a 5.0 swap on a 67. Here's something else that may be of interest. The portions of the motor mounts that bolt each side of the engine to the chassis (Pedestals) may need to be swapped out with a set from a late year 66 or 68. The 1967 motor mounts and pedestals are a 67 only design. You may find that your new mounts are listed as being for a 67 plus several other years. That's wrong. The dimensions and angles of the mount make for about 1/4" of difference in the position of the hole for inserting the long through bolt into one or both sides of the engine. The solution is as said above. Change the pedestals and use the actual mount that is supposed to fit. Like that cheap set for a 68. To acquire an actual set of 67 mounts, as best I know, they'll have to be NOS and that means expensive.

If you fight the installation on your 67 and finally get the last through bolt installed by stretching the mount on one side as I did. You will experience a complete failure and separation of the rubber portion of the mount. The mount that failed for me was the driver's side. The engine lifted and the fan caused considerable damage.
Unread 11-30-2011   #7 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

Greek--I have a question on 1 point of clarification. On a say, 85 or 86 block, if you're using the 28 oz balancer then it is okay to use the original 28 oz flexplate, correct?

Regarding the motor mounts--I kept the mounts from the 289 that was mounted in my 67 (it was originally a 6 cyl car back in the day) and transferred them to my 302. It is kind of a paint to get it bolted in, but I only chalked that up to nothing being easy in this kind of work. Is this what you were talking about in regards to using the original mounts? I don't want to get any surprises like what you had.
Unread 11-30-2011   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

slmdlow's Country Flag
Fullerton   California

Thank you for the info Greek well put. I have gotten a pair of 68 mottor mouts from a wreked 68 in the salvage yard a few months back. now is their a way to take the balansing of a 28oz 157 tooth flex and put a 50oz on it and have it be right? The link that Couped up posted looks like the right part but for that price I can pick up an AOD from the salvage yard and get the over drive gear and better gas milege.( )
To Lizer I bolive if the internals of the engine are from a 85 or 86 you need to use the 50oz balansing as I think in 81 the balansing changed not an expert but thats how I understod it. I have reed a lot about the subject but every trans place I have gone to has no idea of what im talking about. Thanks to all that have posted on this topic
Unread 11-30-2011   #9 (permalink)
Dave is offline MACH I Member

S197 Member

Dave's Country Flag  View Dave's 6 photos
Amherst   Wisconsin
Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Greek--I have a question on 1 point of clarification. On a say, 85 or 86 block, if you're using the 28 oz balancer then it is okay to use the original 28 oz flexplate, correct?
Both the balancer and flexplate have to match the balance of the motor. When Ford went to the 50 oz balance, that was because they changed the balance of the crankshaft, removed weigh and corrected by the balancer and flexplate/flywheel. All three have to match to prevent problems.
Dave
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
Unread 11-30-2011   #10 (permalink)
Couped Up is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

Couped Up's Country Flag
Monroe   Washington
Couped Up is on a distinguished road

Here's a few more..... that should fit the bill.......

TCI Auto 529610 - TCI Flexplates - Application - SummitRacing.com

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hays/490/12-040/10002/-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Speedway...item1e6827a66b

B&M 50239 - B&M Flexplates - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Good luck with your choices, and Happy Holidays....

'68 J code, 4 speed
Unread 11-30-2011   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member

slmdlow's Country Flag
Fullerton   California

Thank you for all the help any one eals that whant to give their input ill apriciate it.:kooky:
Unread 11-30-2011   #12 (permalink)

Classic Member

slmdlow's Country Flag
Fullerton   California

Duing some more reserch on the parts an prices i came acrros this on a difren site. I also atached some pictures of the 164 tooth flexplate inside the bell housing. Will this work?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Pioneer-Flywheel-Automatic-Transmission/1980-Ford-Mustang/_/N-im32nZ6o22f?counter=0&itemIdentifier=55178_0_0_
Attached Thumbnails
I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0586.jpg  I have a question on a flex plate?-imag0587.jpg  
Unread 11-30-2011   #13 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Both the balancer and flexplate have to match the balance of the motor. When Ford went to the 50 oz balance, that was because they changed the balance of the crankshaft, removed weigh and corrected by the balancer and flexplate/flywheel. All three have to match to prevent problems.
Dave
I figured as much. In my case, my engine was balanced by the builder who put together the long block. In order for them to balance it, they had me send them my 28 oz balancer and flexplate that came off my 289. I'm therefore under the impression the internals were balanced to the 28 oz balancer though I don't know how this is done. They said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I balanced everything to the balancer and flexplate I'd be using, so that's what I've always stuck with.
Unread 12-02-2011   #14 (permalink)

Classic Member

slmdlow's Country Flag
Fullerton   California

any one with an imput on the pictures i posted. wondering if the 164 tooth flex plate will work with the ball housing i have
Unread 12-03-2011   #15 (permalink)
mccance is offline GT Member

mccance's Country Flag  View mccance's 34 photos  View mccance's HomePage
atlantic   Iowa
mccance is on a distinguished road

you need a different flex plate to work with your torque converter right? so what you need is to get one of the many conversion flexplates that have already been listed. that way everything will work together. it will have the correct balance, the correct torque converter bolt pattern and will mesh correctly with your starter drive. I am unclear why you are asking if the flex plate you have will work with your bell housing when it will not work with your torque converter. are you planning on getting a different torque converter instead? if you are I would not recommend that. I don't think they make a c-4 torque converter with the bolt pattern to bolt up to your flex plate and even if they did I think you would run into starter issues. I have not done that particular swap but I have always read that you need the 157 tooth flywheel I am assuming it is do to having the proper starter tooth mesh pattern. if you look at the picture you posted of your flexplate inside the bellhousing, and look at the starter bolt holes. the flexplate comes almost all the way to the line connecting the two bolts. it does not look like there is enough room for the starter drive to fit.

67 mustang built for my daughter

89 convertible lx in progress

click on the house icon to see my garage page with build info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162