Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-27-2005   #1 (permalink)
purple horse is offline Rookie

purple horse's Country Flag
San Diego   California
purple horse is on a distinguished road
Default what is the difference between an AOD and an AODE?

Hey guys. I've got a 1969 Mustang Mach One with a Lentech Automatics Street Terminator Plus transmission. Unfortunately, this hasn't been a good transmission. This is going to be my third rebuild on this transmission. Anyhow, I want to find out the differences between the AOD and the AODE. Lentech told I had an AODE type transmission. I am planning on installing a B&M Hammer universal shifter for an AOD. I have already contacted them and they told their shifter would would not work because their bracket lever kit won't work for the AODE. Based on the Lentech Automatics website, I don't see any visual difference between the two transmissions. Please anyone, if you can shed some light on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2005   #2 (permalink)
wayne94mustang is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

wayne94mustang's Country Flag  View wayne94mustang's 19 photos
Hershy   Pennsylvania
wayne94mustang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to wayne94mustang

oh boy!!! the aode needs a computer to run it thats why it has a e in its name(stands for electronic) it is also a 4 speed the aod is a 3 speed. if you got a 4 speed auto you must get a baumman computer to run it! becontrols.com....i got one in my 94 and its great!
94 gt aode baumannator,pi stallion 3000 stall,transgo,mega bite jrs,3.90 gears,31 spine moser axles,comp exteme,1.7 roller rockers,190 pump,mac cold air,ford 1 5/8 unequals, off road h,flowmaster 2 chamber with stainless tails,msd box,PIH(a9p computer ajustable fan controler),q1a k-member,kenny brown frame ties,driveshaft loop,air pump eliminator kit,bbk 70mm tb,pro-m bullit meter,24#injecters,ported heads&intake,and all the little bolt ons.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-28-2005   #3 (permalink)

San Diego   California
Default Update

Ok, I just went to Lentech Automatics website and I looked at my invoice to find out what I purchased. Anyway, It was a AOD Street Terminator Plus, not an AODE. Hey thanks for the clarifying, so if it were an AODE then I would have to run a computer on it even though my car was carberated(69 Mustang). Ok so I might just call up Lentech any way to make sure what they are advertising is correct. Oh, mine has electronic overdrive delete switch. So the overdrive delete switch wouldn't mean it was electronic,right?
Unread 01-28-2005   #4 (permalink)
STONECOLD is offline Senior Member

5.0L Member

STONECOLD's Country Flag  View STONECOLD's 7 photos
N.Y.C.   New York
STONECOLD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD

i thought that the AOD was a 4 speed that you had to shift into OD as opposed to having the computer do it. am i wrong?

my car har has P, R, N, D, 2, 1. my 83 Trans-Am had P, R, N, D, OD, 2, 1.

i could be a litttle off with the TA sequence but it def had a shift for OD not an electronic button like my car has now.
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
Unread 01-29-2005   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Hershy   Pennsylvania

right thats what i ment by 3 speed the shifter has 1 2 d and a aode has 1 2 3 od
94 gt aode baumannator,pi stallion 3000 stall,transgo,mega bite jrs,3.90 gears,31 spine moser axles,comp exteme,1.7 roller rockers,190 pump,mac cold air,ford 1 5/8 unequals, off road h,flowmaster 2 chamber with stainless tails,msd box,PIH(a9p computer ajustable fan controler),q1a k-member,kenny brown frame ties,driveshaft loop,air pump eliminator kit,bbk 70mm tb,pro-m bullit meter,24#injecters,ported heads&intake,and all the little bolt ons.
Unread 01-29-2005   #6 (permalink)

5.0L Member

Hershy   Pennsylvania

right thats what i ment by 3 speed the shifter has 1 2 d and a aode has 1 2 3 od im not to up on aods but i know there not computer controled
Unread 02-03-2005   #7 (permalink)

San Diego   California
Default Lentech AOD

I called Lentech a week ago and inquired about their Street Termintaor Plus automatic transmission. They did tell me it was an AOD with a custom built electronic delete solenoid so that a person can activate or deactivate the overdrive with a push of a button. Unfortunately, I am on my third rebuild on this transmission. I am having it done locally. I am also having the trans shop take care of the rear end. I was getting a loud hum on deceleration. I think it probably was the bearings that gave out or the lash was not properly set. That's the status on the car now.
Unread 02-09-2005   #8 (permalink)
davido30093 is offline Apprentice

davido30093's Country Flag
Jasper   Georgia
davido30093 is on a distinguished road

"AOD" = automatic overdrive = 4 speed automatic transmission. The "AOD" uses a cable (TV = throttle valve) attached to the throttle linkage to "control" transmission shifting. The AODE uses inputs from the computer to send signals to solonoids in the transmission.
Unread 02-09-2005   #9 (permalink)
dodgestang is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

dodgestang's Country Flag  View dodgestang's 21 photos  View dodgestang's HomePage
Cecil County   Maryland
dodgestang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dodgestang

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido30093
"AOD" = automatic overdrive = 4 speed automatic transmission. The "AOD" uses a cable (TV = throttle valve) attached to the throttle linkage to "control" transmission shifting. The AODE uses inputs from the computer to send signals to solonoids in the transmission.
x2

Plus...

the AODE and the 4r70w have different gearsets.
You can run an AODe and a 4r70w with a simple computer controller and have electronic switch on switch of from overdrive.

You can also get an AOD built to AODE or 4r70w specs....I have an AOD with a 4r70w gearset, the extra clutch packs and the larger OD band. Plus I also have some other upgrades like a solid one peice input shaft and a non-lock up converter which helps the tranny hold up better to higher HP applications
Unread 02-18-2005   #10 (permalink)

San Diego   California
Default Does the AODE gearset have the shift feel like GM's 700R4 automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgestang
x2

Plus...

the AODE and the 4r70w have different gearsets.
You can run an AODe and a 4r70w with a simple computer controller and have electronic switch on switch of from overdrive.

You can also get an AOD built to AODE or 4r70w specs....I have an AOD with a 4r70w gearset, the extra clutch packs and the larger OD band. Plus I also have some other upgrades like a solid one peice input shaft and a non-lock up converter which helps the tranny hold up better to higher HP applications
Hey Dodestang, I was wondering what size gearset the 4r70w were. Do you think Lentech might have done this to their AOD Street Terminator Plus automatics? Also, can I still utilize the T.V. cable with the AODE internal parts with out having to put in a control module? I already have an existing overdrive delete solenoid on this AOD I am planning on rebuilding. On this up coming rebuild do you think I should use the one piece input shaft and what type of clutches should I use and how many? Is the TCI AOD valve body any good? Have had any experience with J.W. products for automatic transmissions? I am trying to see what the best internal components would be best for my AOD that will give me durability and excellent shifting. By the way did you custom build that AOD yourself or did you have a trans shop build it?
Unread 02-18-2005   #11 (permalink)
dodgestang is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

dodgestang's Country Flag  View dodgestang's 21 photos  View dodgestang's HomePage
Cecil County   Maryland
dodgestang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dodgestang

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple horse
Hey Dodestang, I was wondering what size gearset the 4r70w were. Do you think Lentech might have done this to their AOD Street Terminator Plus automatics? Also, can I still utilize the T.V. cable with the AODE internal parts with out having to put in a control module? I already have an existing overdrive delete solenoid on this AOD I am planning on rebuilding. On this up coming rebuild do you think I should use the one piece input shaft and what type of clutches should I use and how many? Is the TCI AOD valve body any good? Have had any experience with J.W. products for automatic transmissions? I am trying to see what the best internal components would be best for my AOD that will give me durability and excellent shifting. By the way did you custom build that AOD yourself or did you have a trans shop build it?
1. Gearset: 2.84 : 1 1.55 : 1 1.00 : 1 0.70 : 1
2. Lentech gearset? I dunno....you can always pick up the phone and ask...I'm sure they would build you what ever you wanted though.
3. TV Cable and AODE internals are required...you get all the plusses of an AODE in an AOD case so you need to run a tv cable and not worry about the control module.
4. YES if you have a high power application you MUST use the one peice input shaft this is where one of the primary weaknesses is.
5. I believe i have 8 red eagle clutches in the direct clutch drum
6. TCI valve body - I don't know
JW products - never heard of them, no experiences to share
7. I bought my AOD built, broke it, paid for a rebuild, broke it again, and then rebuilt again. The first break was related to a bad governor valve installed by the original builder. The second break was related to a poor valve body modification made by the original builder. I have not had a problem now that all the crap that the original builder used has been replaced.
Unread 03-13-2005   #12 (permalink)

San Diego   California
Default Transmission Update

I had my AOD rebuilt and it has been installed on my 69 Mach One. Everything inside the transmission is new. They got rid of the Lentech valve body and installed a new Ford AOD valvebody with a Trans Go shift kit with spring hardware so the firm shifting is applied at 3/4 to full throttle, new Dalenzie Lock up torque converter for highway cruising. Two piece hardened steel input shaft was installed for street driven longevity. The Trans shop said that a one piece creates alot of heat inside the transmission and wouldn't be good if I were to drive it on long trips. It would be better suited in a racing environment where the transmission is going to encounter full throttle speeds. Anyhow, now I am waiting for the driveshaft to made up and be installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162