1966 Mustang Instrument Light Wiring - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013 Thread Starter
1966 Mustang Instrument Light Wiring

The previous owner had spliced my instrument lights to my courtesy lights (perhaps due to a bad rheostat).

I cut the splice then tried connecting my cut blue/red instruments light wire to my blue/red wire with the red connector (see photo). No instrument lights came on. Should my cut blue/red wire be connected somewhere else?

Also wondering if my cut black/blue courtesy lights wire should be connected to to the black/blue wire with the blue connector (see photo)?

Lastly, any thoughts on where my gray/black wire should be connected?

Thanks for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	176601  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
Not sure about all of those off hand but at the top of this "Classic Tech" section in the Sticky threads is a great list of vacuum and wiring diagrams that will show you all of your wires. I would check there and print those out to use for starters. Then if something doesn't make sense or you still can't find it someone here may be able to help with a specific question.

MCA 42645
1964-1/2 Mustang 260 Conv, 1966 Mustang 289 Coupe, both projects
2001 F-150 Lariat for daily use.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013
I kind of enjoy wiring after cleaning up the mess left by the PO of my car.
Mine is a 68, so my wiring is different, but use this diagram for a 66.

The blue-red looks to be #19, which is indeed the instrument panel lights.
The diagram shows it going from the light switch to the fuse box, then to the instrument panel lights.

The black-blue is wire #53, courtesy lights.
The diagram has it going from the light switch to left and right courtesy lights.

The yellow connector looks to be green/yellow #54, to console compartment light.
Can't quite make out the blue connector colors, but it probably is black/blue #53, to console courtesy lights.

It looks like wire #25 (black/orange) supplies power to the light switch

I'm thinking that red connector is #490. transmission selector indicator, on the accessory page.
So to answer that question, no, do not connect courtesy lights to it.

Check that you're getting power from your light switch.
Is it turned off? (all the way to the left).
Maybe you have a bad switch.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013 Thread Starter
Thanks for your responses. You guys are great!

Turns out my switch is fine. I ran a new wire from the output side of my Instrument Lights fuse to the cut blue-red wire (I never did find the other end of the blue-red wire). My Instrument Lights are now working.
Sponsored Links

courtesy lights , instrument lights , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page