Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-07-2013   #1 (permalink)
CalvinC is offline Rookie

CalvinC's Country Flag
Granite Bay   California
CalvinC is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking Carburetor

Hello, I have a 1965 Mustang I6, 3 speed, 200ci, and I recently put just 5.5 gallons into the car, and I found that my gas gauge doesnt work. But thats besides the point, I then filled it up completely and drove home. Ive been having this problem where the car idles real rough, but its not problematic, until on occasion, it will just stall. Then the car wont start right back up like a normal stall, itll just turn over a lot until it will finally start up. So when I got home, I opened the hood to adjust the idle. When I opened the hood I found that some gas was coming off the front of the carb and evaporating off the engine block. This concerned me, so I played with the idle, and now it sounds nice and smooth, but Im hoping that the carb doesnt leak even more.

Sorry for the long story, but how do I make it not leak like that, or what is causing it?

Thank you for any info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2013   #2 (permalink)
Print Dad is offline MACH I Member

Classic Member

Print Dad's Country Flag  View Print Dad's 4 photos
Medford   Massachusetts
Print Dad is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking Carburetor

Hello CalvinC,
welcome

You are smart to ask about this. Gas on the motor COULD be
trouble.
sounds like you needle and seat in the carb are sticking
or the float has a hole. You may not understand this
BUt sounds like you carb needs a rebuild.
Pretty simple and inexpensive. The carb rebuild kit till come
with directions

Your symptoms are ALMost certain related to carb (float or needle)

WHat happens is the fuel bowl overfills and the gas goes into the motor
causing hard starts.
PLease follow up on this - do not let it go

Print DAd
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-07-2013   #3 (permalink)
thedrummer021 is offline Made Member

Classic Member
4.6L Member

thedrummer021's Country Flag
Gardena   California
thedrummer021 is on a distinguished road

In addition to the great advice Print Dad always gives I will say this- check the mounting bolts/studs that hold the carburetor onto the manifold.

I was having problems similar to what you're describing in my i6 and kept tinkering with the idle screw and air/fuel screw. When I finally decided to take it for a rebuild and went to remove it, I was floored to find that the nuts holding the thing on had worked themselves loose and even had over 1/8 inch of play. There was fuel leaking over and under the gasket and onto the manifold, and who knows what else was happening as the carb was flopping around while I was driving. Pretty dangerous. I fixed it by putting a couple lock washers under those nuts to hold it in place.

Let us know what you find out and be careful... I've had more than one friend have an engine catch fire while on the road by stuff like this.
Unread 05-07-2013   #4 (permalink)
myblue67 is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

myblue67's Country Flag
Oak Park   California
myblue67 is on a distinguished road

Do a rebuild. I just did mine last week. Simple, except get the gaskets on properly or ull spend the next two weeks trying to figure out why it won't idle (people who helped me in my previous thread will understand haha). Is the gas coming from the actual carb or from the filter at the front?
Unread 05-08-2013   #5 (permalink)
Bryonl is offline PONY Member

Classic Member

Bryonl's Country Flag
San Antonio   Texas
Bryonl is on a distinguished road

At a minimum and on a budget, adjust the carb float. If it is out of adjustment, it will allow too much fuel into the carb and flood the engine and overflow the carb. After the adjustment, run it and check the results and no money wasted. If the problems persist, rebuild the carb. Good luck!
Unread 05-13-2013   #6 (permalink)
TexasEd is offline Rookie

TexasEd's Country Flag
Austin   Texas
TexasEd is on a distinguished road

Most commonly it's either the accelerator pump diaphragm or the float check port.

I just rebuilt my first carb last night and while it was intimidating I understand how it works much better now.

These videos helped a lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
1965, carb, fuel, leak

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network