Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 09-07-2013   #1 (permalink)
arizona67fast is offline Apprentice

arizona67fast's Country Flag
Phoenix   Arizona
arizona67fast is on a distinguished road
Default 1967 Mustang 289 Wiring Problems

Hello Everyone!

I am working on my recently acquired 1967 Mustang 289 and I am having some trouble with the wiring. There was a fire under the hood and the electrical components melted in some parts and just a cluster in other parts. I have figured a good deal of it our but there are a few things I'm still stuck on. Mainly, I have some wiring pictured below that I could use some help with.

First I have this rainbow wiring in my trunk that was cut at some point, I have no idea what this is:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...photo1copy.jpg

Then there are all these wires coming out of the wire bundle that runs along the metal beam along the front end of the car. The wire bundle comes out of this hole under the battery tray:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...s11/photo5.jpg

Then these are the wires:
This one I believe just goes on the positive terminal of the battery(red wire)?
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...s11/photo2.jpg

This one I believe just connects to the negative terminal of the battery (1 black and 1 yellow wire)?
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...photo2copy.jpg

This one I have no idea, its a cap-style connector but I do not know where it came from, solid black cable.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...photo3copy.jpg

This is a connector, it has a white cable, black cable with red line, and solid blue/black cable.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...s11/photo1.jpg

Then there is one cable in that bunch that runs directly from that bundle into another bundle that runs under the alternator.

Then there is this connector that runs from the wire bundle from behind the alternator, does this connect to the connector from the front bundle?
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...s11/photo4.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2013   #2 (permalink)
randal is offline Apprentice

randal's Country Flag
Granger   Indiana
randal is on a distinguished road

You have like three wire harnesses with which to deal in the engine compartment: Headlight, gauge and alternator. If the car was in a fire then why not just replace all three? And yes, the alternator harness does connect into the headlight harness as well as the alternator. I just got done replacing all three harnesses on my 65 and, although it may seem confusing at first, it is really simple and straightforward. Cost for all three is about $200.
Unread 09-07-2013   #3 (permalink)

Phoenix   Arizona

randal,

Where did you get those wiring harnesses? I am pretty electrically incline but I am stumped here so I wouldn't be against spending some money and getting it all taken care of. Who did you order those through? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 09-07-2013   #4 (permalink)
Lizer is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan
Lizer is on a distinguished road

any Mustang supplier will carry them. Do you have a tach or not? If you don't (I'm assuming you don't), you would need these ones (they have installation instructions on the website for engine feed harness, written by yours truly):

Mustang Alternator Wiring Harness Without Tachometer 6-Cylinder/Small Block 1967-1968 | CJ Pony Parts

Gauge feed harness:

14289 67SBW/OT-E Mustang Engine Gauge Feed Wiring Harness Small Block V8 Without Tach 1967-1968 | CJ Pony Parts

For the harness you'd also need this spade adapter that goes on the oil pressure sending unit:

C7ZZ-9278-ADAPT Mustang Scott Drake Oil Pressure Sender Spade 1967-1968 | CJ Pony Parts

And headlight harness:
1429067 Mustang Headlight Wiring Harness GT From Firewall 1967 | CJ Pony Parts

I have the first three and they were acceptable quality and decent fit, looked just like the originals. I can't attest to the headlight wiring harness, I've heard some people haven't been happy with the Mr. Mustang ones.

You may also need a new battery cable set (I wrote installation instructions for that too):
67-BC-ALL Mustang Battery Cable Set All 1967 | CJ Pony Parts

And you may also need a new engine ground strap:
C5ZZ-14289-GW Mustang Scott Drake Engine/Firewall Ground Cable 1965-1967 | CJ Pony Parts

I have these last two as well and they were good quality. There is also a Scott Drake ground strap with FoMoCo on it if you want that instead...it's $9.99 though.

All my wiring is new with the exception of the headlight harness, mine was still in good shape. This here is all the wiring you would need in your engine bay to wire everything up.

You may also need to go to Walmart and get some red ignition wire (in the automotive section) for running miscellanous feeds, such as electric choke positive (if you have one), and if you have an electronic distributor that needs to be tied into the ignition somewhere before the pink resistor wire.
Unread 09-07-2013   #5 (permalink)
geicoman58 is offline PONY Member

geicoman58's Country Flag
annapolis   Maryland
geicoman58 is on a distinguished road

hey arizona67fast, Any of the mustang vendors carry these and a schematic book for your car. Order a catalog from say CJ pony parts and get ready to part with some coin! if your under dash harness is in bad shape you may want to think about an upgraded complete harness from someone like painless. There is also a small company out there that rebuilds your under dash harness as well. Lots of options depending on what your building or what you need. There is also a good auto elec book out there called automotive wiring and electrical systems by tony candela- a good read to further your skills/understandings of what goes into a cars systems and why
Unread 09-08-2013   #6 (permalink)

Phoenix   Arizona

I appreciate the feedback from both of you! I just went outside and spent some time going through it, my gauge cable is in pretty rough shape so I ordered a new one of those. My alternator harness is completely melted on to the back side of the alternator, so I ordered a new one of those too.

My headlight harness is in great shape all the way around except for the last few components by the battery. That is an expensive piece and looks like a cluster of wires in the picture. The wires from there look salvageable anyways so I am hoping I can make it work!

on the headlight wiring harness by the battery, If I am correct, the three prong connector (1 m, 2 f) plugs into the alternator harness? And the two cap style connectors that come of out there go on the solenoid on the studs labeled "S" and "I"? If that is the case then I should be good! Can one of your verify that and tell me if I'm right? I would greatly appreciate it!
Unread 09-08-2013   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan

That is correct, but you have to make sure you have the right cables going to the correct studs on the solenoid. The red wire with blue stripe goes to the S stud (should be the left one).
Unread 09-08-2013   #8 (permalink)

Phoenix   Arizona

You are a life saver! Man I was beating myself up today because I could not figure this out, thanks so much for the links and all the information, I spent a good amount of money tonight but it will be well worth it when I can get my baby fired up! I appreciate it!

All my parts should be in soon and I'm sure I'll have some questions, but I'll save those for when they get here. Thanks for everything!
Unread 09-08-2013   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member

Lizer's Country Flag
Kalamazoo   Michigan

I have a 67 too. To see the installation instructions on those links (if they have them), just scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you'll see them. Otherwise I can take pics of how something is supposed to go or walk you through anything. Of course, many other people here could do that for you too.

//edit: I should have told you first...if you were ordering from CJ's to wait until they have a sale (they have them frequently), or just buy the headlight harness on one order. Then you get 161 RPM points. Make a second order and you can use those RPM points to that order which gets you $5 off. Not a big deal, you'll have over 200 RPM points which gets you $10 off your next order.
Unread 09-08-2013   #10 (permalink)
randal is offline Apprentice

randal's Country Flag
Granger   Indiana
randal is on a distinguished road

The one thing I would add is that I only buy wire harnesses made by a company called Alloy Metal Products(AMP). They make excellent reproductions. But if you have already ordered, don't sweat it. They may come as AMP but if not, the quality will probably be acceptable. I just prefer AMP and always check with the vendor to see what they stock.
Unread 09-09-2013   #11 (permalink)
Driveway is offline GT Member

Driveway's Country Flag
Panama City   Florida
Driveway is on a distinguished road

Have you found out what caused the fire and fixed it?

There are lots of free wire diagrams on the net, you need to download several and make sure you understand how all this works. I have drawn out the ignition system and the taillights with colored pencils just to make sure I understood.

Keep in mind a few things about the factory harnesses. They run away from moving and hot things, and simple for the line worker to install.

Harbor Freight has precut kits and rolls of shrink tube fairly cheap. You can replace a rubber factory connector with good bullet singles. Spend the money for the good ones.
Unread 09-10-2013   #12 (permalink)

Phoenix   Arizona

The things that I've been told caused the fire was that it was rebuilt and the mechanic that rebuilt it either forgot a part or incorrectly assembled it so on the way home from the shop gasoline was sprayed all over the engine compartment and caught on fire. My plan is stuff to replace the carb but I want to get all the electrical stuff figured out first. Thanks for your input everybody and I'll let you know how it goes when all the parts get in!
Unread 09-13-2013   #13 (permalink)

Phoenix   Arizona

Alright everyone, I need the help of the mustang gods!

I got my new wires yesterday and I installed then and everything was looking great and I felt confident in my work and i was ready to connect the battery. I went to connect the battery and when I hooked up the positive terminal I saw a spark so what went through my mind was "great! the circuit is connect and it works!" Then I went into the the drivers area and I saw white smoke and smelt a electrical burning. I immediately disconnected the battery and I went and tried to see where the smoke was coming from. I couldn't see the smoke anymore but the smell was still strong, I saw the fuse box with 5 fuses in it, but they all looked fine and intact. I assumed the smoke was from burning through the fuses, but I was not able to see any visible damage. Is it possible for the fuses to be damaged without visible damage? Or does anyone have any idea what was smoking or why it would be smoking? Anything helps! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172