Upgrade to power steering question. - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013 Thread Starter
Upgrade to power steering question.

Which setup is the most popular and can i install it myself? Going on a 64 automatic car.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013
GT Member
there are lots of choices for powersteering conversion these days. first of all there are two main choices do you want to stick with stock or go aftermarket. chockostang sells a kit to basically put the stock style powersteering on your car. aftermarket there are again two main choices either the borgeson powersteering gear conversion which looks pretty straight forward or rack and pinion steering conversion. a lot of this decision will be like do you like red or blue paint. everybody has there own opinions. when I build my first mustang there was only one aftermarket option and that was total control rack and pinion which I still think is the best system out there, but that is just my opinion. I have done 2 of these and I am very happy with the results. I have been driving my first one since 97 with no problems. but there are several rack and pinion conversions out there.

if you do a search on rack and pinion you will get basically most people will tell you the best is whatever they happen to have on there car lol. but maybe you can at least see which is the most popular. I suspect what you are going to find is that the most popular will be what is cheapest not necessarily best.

anyway good luck.

65 mustang. supercharged 302 currie 9 inch, 5 speed.

67 mustang built for my daughter

89 convertible lx in progress

click on the house icon to see my garage page with build info.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013
I was at the Street Rod Nationals in Tampa yesterday and saw a guy selling an electric unit for power steering. Mounted under the dash. Seemed like a nice setup.

I changed my original P.S. unit to a Borgeson unit and am very glad I did.

Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page